PDA

View Full Version : Atrial Flutter Info

Dan Clarris
6th Nov 2013, 09:33
I was diagnosed with atrial flutter this year and underwent atrial flutter ablation procedure to correct. I have since had my medical reinstated but with co pilot restrictions. Just wondering if anyone else has had the same condition and what their experiences were in getting their medical back.

Thomas coupling
21st Nov 2013, 09:19
Dan- hi.

You have an OML presumably (multi crew flying only restriction).
You need to speak to the CAA AME @ Gatwick who will tell you exactly what is required for your particular situation to get rid of the OML.
Write - don't phone, they don't do phone.........:*

I take it you have seen this:

http://www.pprune.org/medical-health/526943-class-2-atrial-fibrilation.html

Ida down
5th Dec 2013, 23:41
Had it for forty years of flying, mainly in Australia but did fly OS during pilots dispute. Not once was I grounded. Was unable to sleep on my left side, that would really set it off, so would coffee. Still have it, now 72, see a cardiologist every two years, and only ever had one bad experience when I passed out. Once in 72 years. And I had finished flying by then. I am surprised that you have been stood down, I know many pilots that had the same condition, it is very common, and you are the first I have heard of to be stood down. Is there a underlying problem perhaps?

Ulster
6th Dec 2013, 08:27
and only ever had one bad experience when I passed out

Good job it wasn't while at the controls of an aeroplane, then ! That would really have spoiled your day !

As always, obviously can't speak for how other countries operate their rules, but it's quite certain that significant AF (either of them) would have grounded you for lengthy periods in the UK ! :=

Ida down
8th Dec 2013, 13:09
Ulster, you blokes always were wimps! Seriously, I passed out because I was bitten by a spider, the poison did not help the heart! The condition is totally treatable, but there is one type that is normally fatal, I am told, thankfully it would appear neither the original blogger or I, are its victims.

Angryfool
8th Dec 2013, 19:49
I do believe other posters may be getting confused, as the initial post was regarding atrial flutter and not AF (atrial fibrillation). Two very different entities, require different forms of treatment, in the UK at least.

The CAA will allow a class 1 holder with atrial fibrillation to operate with an OML subject to satisfactory cardiological review and appropriate medication, with continuous follow up. The other avenue is to undergo catheter ablation, which depending upon paroxysmal or permanent, has varying levels of success.

Atrial flutter has to be successfully treated with catheter ablation followed by a cardiological review after 3 months (easa), and additional EP study in most instances. The success rate for most flutter ablutions are 90% plus.

As far as I am aware, the CAA it allow medication for AF, and all other regular SVT's which includes atrial flutter require ablation.