PDA

View Full Version : Heli crash Mt Buller

VH-XXX
6th Nov 2013, 04:53
No word on type of heli or operator as yet...

news.com.au

FOUR people have escaped unharmed after a helicopter crash at Mount Buller.
Victoria Police are on scene and said one passenger was being treated for minor injuries.
Emergency services were called to the scene on Summit Rd at 2.26pm after the helicopter crashed into the side of a hill.
Investigators from the Australian Transport Safety Bureau are en route.
A Victoria Ambulance spokesperson said the helicopter was upside down.
He said all the passengers had escaped the wreckage before paramedics were on the scene.

VH-XXX
6th Nov 2013, 05:14
R44 by the look of it.

Passengers survive after helicopter crash at Mount Buller (http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/passengers-survive-after-helicopter-crash-at-mount-buller-20131106-2x127.html)

Squeaks
6th Nov 2013, 06:29
VH-UGC from Tasmania.

15C at 5700ft, 4 up (plus kit for a long weekend?) in an R44.

Nigel Osborn
6th Nov 2013, 06:32
It certainly looked a mess on the TV news, can't see it being repaired too easily. The 4 on board were incredibly lucky.

VH-XXX
6th Nov 2013, 07:26
The news said that the 4 were on a joy flight from Tasmania... some joy flight! (in terms of distance)

A very warm day today in Melbourne, pushing over 30 degrees. Quite a high spot the old Mt. Buller..... just sayin'....

I16
6th Nov 2013, 08:26
Not hard to work out who was the pilot.
Very lucky man .... again

cattletruck
6th Nov 2013, 08:31
I believe this is the pilot in far better form.

Greg Garwood Paloona Dam A9X Torana Targa Tasmania 2013 - YouTube

So glad they all walked away from that one. I wonder if this R44 had the fuel bladders installed?

VH-XXX
6th Nov 2013, 08:36
I wonder if this R44 had the fuel bladders installed?

It must have... it would have been grounded still otherwise.

cattletruck
6th Nov 2013, 08:39
Thanks, I guess being a rally car driver he probably would have done it before the mandate.

industry insider
6th Nov 2013, 08:53
Squeaks, you are spot on in my opinion. "Short of the helipad"....now let's see

The ATSB wouldn't have to leave their office to wrap this one up!

I am not sure who deserves the Darwin Award more, the pilot or the dumbos who got on board.

TWT
6th Nov 2013, 10:08
Regardless of why it happened,I'm just very glad that 4 people survived with minimal injuries.

lelebebbel
6th Nov 2013, 14:21
No Cookies | Herald Sun (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/national/helicopter-crash-wont-slow-racers/story-fnjj6013-1226754541070)

Mr Garwood said he was mystified about what caused the crash. The helicopter passed its annual flight review on Tuesday.

"There was no wind, I really don't know what happened," said the excavator and earthmoving contractor.

:rolleyes:

Hawkeye0001
6th Nov 2013, 17:04
I liked this one better:
He rolled the helicopter down a bank on its right side in a spectacular crash-landing procedure designed to protect passengers.

...and where exactly do they teach this particular crash-landing procedure where you roll down a bank onto the right side? Ah, the media... :{

SASless
6th Nov 2013, 17:58
The Explanation could be pulled from the thin air.....if he thought about it!:E

spinwing
6th Nov 2013, 21:16
Mmmmm ...

.... I'd suggest the 'Thin Air' is the most likely cause of the accident !! :eek:

:}

cattletruck
6th Nov 2013, 21:29
I'd also suggest 'Fat Arses' was a contributing factor. :}

VH-XXX
6th Nov 2013, 22:13
What about fuel exhaustion, engine failure or loss of engine power? :cool: :ouch: :ooh:

Ascend Charlie
6th Nov 2013, 23:16
The reporter missed the bit about "the hero pilot wrestled with the controls as it plummeted towards a school, but he guided it away and crashed in a safer place."

Rotor Work
6th Nov 2013, 23:56
Targa driver's escape injury in chopper crash (http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-11-07/targa-drivers-escape-injury-in-chopper-crash/5075328?section=tas)

Tasmanian Targa driver survives chopper crash but 'running out of lives'

http://www.abc.net.au/news/image/279814-3x2-340x227.jpg (http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-11-07/targa-south-winners-greg-garwood-and-john-allen/5075350)Photo: Greg Garwood (l) says everyone was lucky to walk away from the crash. (ABC News) (http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-11-07/targa-south-winners-greg-garwood-and-john-allen/5075350)

A Tasmanian Targa driver who walked away from a helicopter crash in Victoria says he feels like he is "running out of lives."

A helicopter carrying four people struck trouble on its way to Mount Buller to compete in the Targa High Country competition.

Well-known Tasmanian Targa driver Greg Garwood was at the controls when it crashed and slid down a hill while landing.

His wife Luana, another Tasmanian driver and a Queensland mechanic were all uninjured.

Mr Garwood says he does not know what happened.

"Anyone who can walk away from a helicopter crash is very lucky," he said.

"We were just coming in for a final landing where we had probably landed 20 times before last year and I don't know if we got wind shear or whatever.

"We put it on the ground and it just wouldn't sit there and I just rolled it to the right which is the appropriate thing to do in those circumstances and it just slid down the bank and we got out of her which was great."

Mr Garwood is yet to decide if he will take part in the Victorian competition which starts tomorrow.

"It's a reality check that sometimes we live dangerously and motorsports certainly a dangerous sport, I'm nearly running out of lives I reckon."

"I've just got to sit back and have a bit of a think about things I think."

Rotor Work
9th Nov 2013, 06:38
On tonights news Greg Garwood today crashed out of the High Country Targa in his 1976 Holden Torana, looked to be down a bank as well.
Not a good week for him:ugh:

Fly Safe R W

VH-XXX
9th Nov 2013, 07:54
We are all paying for the first crash through our inflated insurance premiums :cool: Luckily not for the second too.

icedriver
9th Nov 2013, 23:07
If after landing "it just wouldn't sit there" why didn't he pick it up and move it. I can imagine my bosses reply if I landed one of his machines and because it "wouldn't sit there" I decided to throw it on its right side.