PDA

View Full Version : Public Service Announcements on TV

OFSO
5th Nov 2013, 12:55
Every morning before the TV weather forecast a very attractive* lady pops up to remind Catalans to do things like sorting rubbish for disposal or keep their tires pumped up to save fuel. This morning's dose of wisdom was to check hoses used for butane heaters and change if necessary.

Feeling guilty I checked our emergency gas heater and found the hose was nine years past the expiry date printed on it ! Whoops. Needless to say at the enormous cost of €2.45 and some swearing, the heater now has a hose on it rated to April 2019.

* attractive enough to make all men pay attention to what she's saying.

M.Mouse
5th Nov 2013, 12:57
As Basil Fawlty once said , 'My God, a satisfied customer, we should have him stuffed'!

sitigeltfel
5th Nov 2013, 13:18
A timely reminder. This prompted me to look at the hoses for the active and spare gas bottles feeding our cooker rings. They are printed, "replace before 2014". :ok:

onetrack
6th Nov 2013, 01:52
OFSO - Did she also remind you, that your car tyres are only good for 10 yrs, as well?? :eek:

"BRMA members strongly recommend that unused tyres should not be put into service if they are over six years old, and that all tyres should be replaced ten years from the date of their manufacture."

ExXB
6th Nov 2013, 08:12
OFSO, surely you can provide a link so we can test the veracity of your claim.

In other words, this thread is useless without pictures!

Tankertrashnav
6th Nov 2013, 09:19
We used to get loads of them on TV here - wonder why they went. Was it perhaps to make way for endless trails of forthcoming programmes?

I used to like the one with Cyril Fletcher telling you to wash your hands when preparing food, and of course there was the Green Cross Man

Green Cross Code 2 - YouTube

David Prowse, who famously had his voice dubbed when he played Darth Vader even had it dubbed for the Green Cross Man, as his Bristolian accent was thought to be unintelligible to the wider population!

G-CPTN
6th Nov 2013, 09:56
-Watch Out For Homosexuals-50s Public Information Film - YouTube

Homosexuals: The Terrible Truth - YouTube

wiggy
6th Nov 2013, 10:23
Living in France I dunno about public service but on our side of the Pyrenees this young lady certainly makes one pay attention (nudge nudge, wink wink, :E) when she occasionally pitches up to do the morning sports (nudge, nud..etc) segment on France 2 morning news....

May I introduce Clémentine Sarlat (http://www.clementinesarlat.com/)

OFSO
6th Nov 2013, 13:31
your car tyres are only good for 10 yrs

Reminders not needed, the ITV (vehicle inspection station) will fail a car with tyres over this age. Unless the guy who takes the car in for the test is the cousin of the inspector, of course.