PDA

View Full Version : No 5 Facing Silk

Red Line Entry
5th Nov 2013, 12:35
Amazingly, my No5s still fit me after quite a few years of use. However, the silk facing material on the lapels is looking somewhat shoddy. Stn tailors on my unit can't find a source for the material.

Does anyone know of whether you can buy the stuff or of a tailor that can do the job? I really don't want to have to buy a whole new jacket!

Whenurhappy
5th Nov 2013, 14:22
I had my lapels refaced about 15 years ago...at Lyneham. So that's not much help!

I suggest that you google military tailors or look at the adds in the back of the RAF News or Soldier Magazine. Snaiths (Cranwell, Halton) can probably do it.

Ventre A Terre
5th Nov 2013, 15:20
Turner Virr at Cranwell offered to do mine for £90 a couple of months back. The quoted turnround was about 10 days which unfortunately for me was too long. Unfortunately I'm overseas so can't access their phone number.

Lima Juliet
5th Nov 2013, 19:19
"No 5 Facing Silk" is that like "No 2 Touching Cloth"? :}

CoffmanStarter
6th Nov 2013, 08:39
is that like "No 2 Touching Cloth"?

Not unless you are now a Commando Leon :}

Pontius Navigator
6th Nov 2013, 10:31
I got my mess kit from RE City many moons ago. It was sold with non-staining, wipe clean, facing "as it can get quite messy at dining-in nights."

He was right and the facing lived up to the claim and lasted 45 years before I sold it to a museum!

Sandy Parts
6th Nov 2013, 12:06
I thought the title meant somebody was due in the High Court and was asking what to wear? :p