View Full Version : Boeing working with Air India over 787 windshield crack

freshgasflow
5th Nov 2013, 07:02
Boeing Co is working with Air India Ltd after the windshield of a 787 Dreamliner cracked while landing in Australia, the Seattle-based plane maker said on Tuesday, the latest in a series of problems to beset the plane.

Boeing working with Air India over 787 windshield crack | NDTV.com (http://www.ndtv.com/article/india/boeing-working-with-air-india-over-787-windshield-crack-441679?pfrom=home-otherstories)

Burnie5204
5th Nov 2013, 08:20
Hardly newsworthy - windshields crack every now and then but once again the media have heard a 787 was involved and fired up the "787 am worstest plane evar" bandwagon again

JetMender
5th Nov 2013, 20:01
787s seem to have higher windshield failure rate than other aircraft, especially as the fleets haven't been in service long.

joy ride
6th Nov 2013, 07:38
The media attention on the 787 was started because of long development delays, and then a series of very public teething problems, so it is Boeing and its suppliers who have made the attention focus there; once a reputation has started it is hard to shake off.

As for "787s seem to have higher windshield failure rate than other aircraft" I would be interested to know if this is indeed the case,

If so, is it just a random "clump" of events which unfortunately have been noticed because the plane is now "known" to the media? Randomness, by its nature, is not even!

Next question I wonder is could it be a weak batch of windshields? Easily sorted, if so.

If not, my next thought is could the rigidity/flexibility, expansion & contraction and other behavioural characteristics of the composite construction be affecting the life of the windshields?

I am not seeking to damn the plane, just interested in its technology and design and how it performs in regular operations. If it is the way forward we need to learn as much as possible.