PDA

View Full Version : The Final Countdown

Buster Hyman
5th Nov 2013, 06:03
No, not that crap song, the film.

I just bought it on Blu Ray for AUD9 so, what could possibly go wrong? My memories of the film were that of annoyance that "in typical Hollywood fashion" they didn't get to strike at the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbour but...I'd forgotten something on the way to all that angst! The flying sequences were bloody brilliant!

It's been tarted up for Blu Ray, but the sequences & angles are so much better than, say, Top Gun. The Special Effects are lame, but the flying is worth another look.

Buster gives it 3 thumbs!
:ok::ok::ok:

Out now on Blu Ray & DVD!

Lon More
5th Nov 2013, 07:39
You had me worried; thought I might never see Rachel Riley's bum again :O

dead_pan
5th Nov 2013, 09:11
I don't recall there being that many flying sequences in the film? There is the dog-fight between the Tomcats and Jap Zeros, plus the requisite carrier action, but isn't that just about it?

I wonder if Flight of the Intruder is out on Blu-Ray. That had some decent flying sequences and dodgy special effects too.

Worrals in the wilds
5th Nov 2013, 09:18
Europe - The Final Countdown - YouTube
Sorry.
I didn't mean it. It just...popped in there. :E:}

david1300
5th Nov 2013, 09:47
^^^^^^:ok::):ok::)^^^^^^

cattletruck
5th Nov 2013, 10:28
Ah yes Kirk Douglas :yuk:

As a kid I brought the F-14 Revell kit based on the livery in this movie.
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQtoYftojgdkLyssQ_ahFQGiTIcZMv2D86oIAB3nls _TFOQRDt7

27mm
5th Nov 2013, 11:26
Watch the dogfights closely and you'll see a Tomcat departing......:cool:

Buster Hyman
5th Nov 2013, 11:54
I'll clarify a little. I'm not talking about edge of the seat stuff, just great shooting and imaginative angles. One that stood out for me was an angle looking up to the pilot, from his left leg, and. a Tomcat over his shoulder. Just really well framed and better than the average aircraft sequences for films of the time.