View Full Version : Access to airports

davidjohnson6
5th Nov 2013, 00:06
In the UK, what's the position on people arriving at an airport from the local area on foot, particularly when they have only hand luggage ? Are airports meant to make an allowance for this (possibly setting up some zone in which local bus travel to/from terminals is free), or can they actively enforce that those entering the airport grounds must do so on non-zero-cost transport/private car ? Is there anything in UK planning, CAA or DfT guidelines on this ?

DaveReidUK
5th Nov 2013, 06:32
I can't think of any UK airport that it's not possible to reach on foot, with the obvious exception of Heathrow where pedestrians are forbidden in the access tunnel (but you can ride through it free on local buses).

davidjohnson6
5th Nov 2013, 08:44
There is at least 1 airport with normal commercial passenger flights in the UK to which pedestrian access in or out of the airport complex is banned and no alternative is provided (as exists at Heathrow). No, it's not an RAF base or anywhere else where this might be for specific security reasons.

c52
5th Nov 2013, 10:34
Bournemouth?

Skipness One Echo
5th Nov 2013, 11:17
There is at least 1 airport with normal commercial passenger flights in the UK to which pedestrian access in or out of the airport complex is banned and no alternative is provided (as exists at Heathrow). No, it's not an RAF base or anywhere else where this might be for specific security reasons.
Newquay, mainly as it's not practical with the road the hedges? If not, which one?

davidjohnson6
5th Nov 2013, 12:04
Bournemouth was the one I was thinking of, although other airports like Luton make it unpleasant for pedestrians. I was hoping that someone could advise on the requirement for public access in general to UK passenger airports, rather than a discussion of a single specific airport.

There seems to be a trend amongst airports to derive revenue from ground transport (car park drop off charges or access charges for coach operators). What are the minimum formal requirements an airport must meet for a passenger to enter/exit the airport complex that doesn't involve the passenger paying or the airport earning revenue ?

Taking things to an extreme, would an airport be within its rights to effectively charge passengers for an entry ticket to the landside area of the airport ?

c52
5th Nov 2013, 12:26
Are staff also barred from walking or cycling to work?

I imagine there is no legal reason why an airport couldn't impose a charge on anyone entering its buildings. After all, if someone puts up a funfair in a public park, they're allowed to put a fence round it and charge for entry. And airports are private property, not public parks.

DaveReidUK
5th Nov 2013, 14:29
There is at least 1 airport with normal commercial passenger flights in the UK to which pedestrian access in or out of the airport complex is bannedMy understanding is that, while the authorities at BOH have made pedestrian access to the terminal difficult, and arguably dangerous, by blocking off the existing footpaths, there is no statutory ban on walking along the (public) approach road, although it's probably not a good idea.

As per my previous post, Heathrow is the only airport where you are actually breaking the law by accessing it on foot, and of course that only applies to the CTA.

c52
5th Nov 2013, 14:39
Presumably if you arrived there, and were prevented from walking to your nearby home, that would be a case of false imprisonment, or kidnapping, or something else quite serious.

WHBM
5th Nov 2013, 15:13
I'm about 25 minutes walk from London City and regularly walk to/fro; pavements all the way.

Not only Heathrow Central area, I believe T5 is also inaccessible on foot.

Regarding inappropriate charges, such as closing off the drop-off area in front of the terminal and putting in inconvenient indirect routes that charge an excessive sum (Stansted is the latest to do this), I do not understand why the CAA doesn't stand up for the consumer over this. All these are Licensed Airfields, the control of which extends not just to airside but to the whole field. So why don't the CAA, for once, tell the operators that they cannot introduce these completely unwanted and over the top charges for what is a regulated public facility.

SWBKCB
5th Nov 2013, 16:03
What are the minimum formal requirements an airport must meet for a passenger to enter/exit the airport complex that doesn't involve the passenger paying or the airport earning revenue ?

I'd be surprised if there are any - by the nature of their location, airports (with exceptions like LCY) tend not to be too accessible by foot, can't think why anybody would insist that you'd have to allow foot access.

Is this a requirement for any other type of business, e.g. supermarkets, cinemas?

Expressflight
5th Nov 2013, 16:25
As far as I know the only time that local authorities stipulate that pedestrian access must be provided is where "sustainablity" might be an issue. For example, an edge of village shop/pub might gain planning consent only if a pedestrian footpath is provided along a busy road on the basis that otherwise few people might actually risk accessing it. I cannot see how that consideration would ever apply at a commercial airport facility.

WHBM
5th Nov 2013, 16:33
can't think why anybody would insist that you'd have to allow foot access.

Is this a requirement for any other type of business, e.g. supermarkets, cinemas?
It certainly is, because otherwise those who for whatever reason wish to access by foot will put themselves at danger if they end up walking in the road, and so if this is in any way an issue it will end up being put as a condition on any planning permission approval. I believe there is specific provision in the Special Roads Act which authorised motorways to avoid this for motorway services.

Regarding Heathrow it used to have cycle and pedestrian access to the central area through the small side tunnels. When it was desired to convert these to vehicular use this was only permitted on condition that a free bus service was provided in lieu; this was the origin of the arrangement that on all regular London buses to/from the airport they are free to the first bus stop outside the airport, and Heathrow makes a flat annual payment to London Buses to cover this.

Skipness One Echo
5th Nov 2013, 17:03
I believe T5 is also inaccessible on foot.
Nope, it's got pavement access out to the perimeter roads which have walkways, 95% of the way around save for one gripe outside the Compass Centre.

DaveReidUK
5th Nov 2013, 22:55
Regarding Heathrow it used to have cycle and pedestrian access to the central area through the small side tunnels.In fact cycle access is still permitted through the side tunnels, it's only pedestrians that are prohibited from using them. All the LHR terminals have provision for cycle parking.

Heathrow: Cycling | Getting to Heathrow by bike (http://www.heathrowairport.com/transport-and-directions/cycling-to-heathrow)

The SSK
6th Nov 2013, 08:28
Memories of when I first started work, my bank was Barclays at Hatton Cross, of which the counter in Terminal 3 was a sub-branch. So, in the days before bank cards and ATMs, if I ran out of cash on a weekend I could cash a cheque there and they wouldn’t have to phone for authorisation (which was just as well, because I was frequently overdrawing).

I used the side tunnels both as pedestrian and cyclist on many, many occasions.