PDA

View Full Version : PPL in Florida

Sprawler
26th Feb 2001, 18:19
Folks,

I'm thinking of heading over to the States in the next couple of months to finish off my PPL. I have just over 40 hours, so I reckon I'd only need about a week or so to finish it off.
I'm hoping to go to Florida to tie the flying in with holidays. I've looked at all the obvious candidates, (OBA, Britannia, OFT, Naples). What I am looking for are comments/recommendations/warnings from those that have recently trained with these establishments. Or, perhaps you have trained with another flight school that you could recommend. What are the instructors, aircraft, accomodation like? Perhaps you could email me at [email protected] with your views as I don't want to cause offence by discussing them on this BB.

I have used the search facility, which was very helpful, but I'm looking for frank and honest opinions on these schools. That is why I would prefer if people could email me with their views.

P.S. traineepilot - excellent post on OFT, I'll mail you later with some questions.

Regards,
Sprawler

[This message has been edited by Sprawler (edited 26 February 2001).]

britflyer
2nd Mar 2001, 07:56
As I replied to another message, you should look at Naples Air Centre. I converted my FAA PPL to a CAA PPL and also did my multi/night ratings there. All very friendly and will always try and help. Do a search for NAC website which has email address for Nicky who handles all new students.

Let me know if you need any more info. [email protected]

Steve

Sprawler
2nd Mar 2001, 13:08
britflyer, thanks for your reply, but unfortunately the trip to the US is off. As I have done all my PPL exams here in Ireland, I would have to resit them all if I were to finish my PPL off in another country. Apparently under JAR, once you start training for a PPL under the supervision of one member state you cannot finish it off in another without re-sitting all exams under the supervision of the new member state. As most of the JAA approved flight schools in America are JAA approved by the CAA, I would therefore be deemed to be training under CAA supervision. A bit confusing or what!!! Its not really worth the hassle of re-sitting all the exams again considering I only have a few more hours to do.

Trainee pilot
4th Mar 2001, 04:11
SPRAWLER:

Thanks for the mention! I have re-posted what I wrote as people are asking again about OFT and you know how quick topics dissapear on PPRuNe! Good luck in your future whichever path you choose!

Princess PP
5th Mar 2001, 16:46
Sprawler-

What on earth!!?

Will you be applying for a CAA or a JAA PPL?

I sat one ground exam before the 1st July 1999 in order to qualify for the issue of a CAA PPL. I then went on to complete most of the exams in the U.K. before going to a CAA/JAA approved school in California to do the flying training and complete my Nav., Tech. and RT Oral exams. I then sent my Logbook of to the CAA and got my licence.

This was all after JAR was implemented.

I don't know if it is a case of a very recent addition to the JAA nonsense, or you being issued with Duff Gen?

Is it perhaps worth getting a second opinion on this matter by someone else at the CAA, or have you already done this?

PPP

Sprawler
5th Mar 2001, 17:30
Princess,

As I have completed my JAA exams under the supervision of the IAA, I would have to repeat them all if I were to go to a CAA JAA approved flight school. In Ireland, we sit 4 exams as opposed to the 7 you have to sit in the UK. They are:
Air Law
Aircraft Gen Knowledge & Priciples of Flight
Flight Planning & Performance (includes Met, Nav & Operational proceedures)
Human Performance & Limitations
We don't have to do an R/T practical test. Our flight school just certifies on our logbook that we are competent in R/T procedures and the IAA certify this also.

The JAA web-site states:
"3. Must an applicants' training and testing, e.g. skill tests/medical tests etc., be carried out in one JAA member State?

For licence issue the answer is yes. See JAR-FCL 1.065. All training and testing shall be undertaken under the supervision of one JAA member State. This State becomes the State of Licence Issue. Further ratings can be obtained in any JAA member State and will be added to the licence by the State of Licence Issue (the procedure for this is stated the Joint Implementation Procedures (JIP) document paragraph 14.1.1.3)." http://www.jaa.nl/faqs/jaafaqs.html

I have checked out all this with the IAA, and it is correct. To be honest, its not worth the extra hassle of having to re-sit exams for the small savings I would make by finishing in the States.

Regards,
Sprawler

P.S.- how does everyone get those nice little quote boxes, when posting a quote?

[This message has been edited by Sprawler (edited 05 March 2001).]

Princess PP
5th Mar 2001, 17:59
This seems pretty crazy.

After visiting your link and reading....

"3. Must an applicants' training and testing, e.g. skill tests/medical tests etc., be carried out in one JAA member State?

For licence issue the answer is yes. See JAR-FCL 1.065. All training and testing shall be undertaken under the supervision of one JAA member State. This State becomes the State of Licence Issue."

I wonder how places like PanAm manage to operate their courses.

You do all the theory in the U.K. then do most of the flying training in the U.S. and THEN sit your IR test back in the U.K. All for a JAA CPL/IR!?

Surely if you implemented the above quote PanAm's route would be invalid?

I think this is all getting a bit too much for my wee brain!!

PPP

Princess PP
5th Mar 2001, 18:07
Oh, (... the penny drops) excuse my last message, I think I get you now. Not enough sleep is my poor excuse!

I was forgetting the implications of the "....under the supervision of the IAA..." reference.

Duh!

Once you get your PPL you can still enjoy the Florida experience with plenty of all- important hour-building.

Good Luck,

PPP