PDA

View Full Version : The BBC

skua
3rd Nov 2013, 18:16
no longer deserves to receive the licence fee - a hypothecated tax if ever there was one.

Evidence? :
* seemingly employed most of the media perverts of the last three decades
* incompetent budgetary control and lack of board oversight (how does Patten retain his job?) - think snr exec payoffs, etc
* ridiculously OTT spending on creating the Salford palace, totally out of keeping with an era of austerity
* ever more obvious journalistic bias, leading to wanton under-coverage or biased reporting of issues that don't suit the agenda of (? 35 year old Islington women?) producers - think defence, the world of business, etc
* no longer the news reporter of record.

Discuss!

sitigeltfel
3rd Nov 2013, 18:26
http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee201/sitigeltfel/labour-BBC-620x400jpgbias_zpsb2d0904b.jpg (http://s231.photobucket.com/user/sitigeltfel/media/labour-BBC-620x400jpgbias_zpsb2d0904b.jpg.html)

ZeBedie
3rd Nov 2013, 18:35
The internet and i-player will lead to the demise of the licence fee, hopefully.

I say cut the BBC down to 10% of its existing budget and cut out the Guardian style pro Lib/Lab bias.

Capetonian
3rd Nov 2013, 19:04
A bunch of pinko PC lefty libs if ever there were.

SOPS
3rd Nov 2013, 19:20
Same as the ABC in Australia. So far to the left, it's no longer funny. Any debate is stifled, but if you are a left, tree hugging greeny, who wants to warn about sea levels rising 30 feet in the next year, no problem.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
3rd Nov 2013, 20:03
No longer the news reporter of record

Correct. Misses half the important stuff, and is ridiculously biased on half of the rest.

My initial news source these days is Jet Blast - no kidding - anything important usually shows up here. :ok:

OFSO
3rd Nov 2013, 20:21
My initial news source these days is Jet Blast - no kidding - anything important usually shows up here.

The old principal about individuals knowing very little but collectively we all know everything is very true.

Yes - Jet Blast is the winner, because:-

1) It always shows up here;
2) Usually very quickly; and
3) Remove the most radical opinions from either end of the thread and what is left is usually pretty near the truth.

tony draper
3rd Nov 2013, 20:23
I think the BBC News is becoming more and more parochial, if I wish to find out what's happening in the wider world I have to flick over to Al Jazera.
I see the BBC are to transmit BBC3 in HD shortly on Freeview,what the hell for? that channel is wall to wall infantile shite, I could understand BBC4 going HD there are occasionally decent progs on that channel.
:uhoh:

Flying Serpent
3rd Nov 2013, 20:24
anything important usually shows up here.

only if it appears first on the daily wail website it seems.

ZeBedie
3rd Nov 2013, 22:42
Stand far enough to the right, and everything seems as if it's on the left.

Funny you don't hear anyone complaining that the BBC is biased in favour of the right?

reynoldsno1
3rd Nov 2013, 23:06
to flick over to Al Jazera
I have news access to BBC, Sky, ABC (US & Oz), CBS, PBS, CNN, Fox, RT, DW, plus a few others, but I find I am watching AJ more and more. It's also noticeable that many of their presenters were previously on the aforementioned channels ....

Bob Bevan
3rd Nov 2013, 23:27
I'd like to complain that the BBC is biased to the right!

MG23
3rd Nov 2013, 23:42
Funny you don't hear anyone complaining that the BBC is biased in favour of the right?

Turkeys rarely look forward to Christmas.

The BBC has two distinct biases:

1. Pro-government, as the official propaganda station.

2. Pro-left, since 99% of their employees are somewhere between wet left and raving commies (certainly every BBC employee I ever met was in that range).

When Labour are in power, there's no problem. When right-wing Tories are in power, they get a bit schizophrenic. They can't go too far to the left or their funding might be cut, but they can't bring themselves to say anything much nice about them.

ex_matelot
4th Nov 2013, 00:59
I'd love to kick Susanna Reid And Emily Maitlis' back doors in though ;)

Krystal n chips
4th Nov 2013, 04:29
Whilst it's patently evident that, in recent times, the largesse at the BBC has been justifiably criticised and that, sadly, the standard of news reporting and reports / reporters has deteriorated, likewise the quality of light entertainment and certainly day time R2 ( excluding Alex Lester and Ken Bruce, the rest are risible ) this is only a small area of the BBC as a whole.

The bold underlined is for the benefit of those on here, who, if intellect could be quantified would be classed as bereft.

The diversity of the BBC therefore is the relevant factor here and thus the licence fee is justified.

I freely admit as I have said before, that my preference for news is C4 because of the style of presentation and the depth of the coverage, not forgetting they do not hector the viewer or insult their intelligence, areas the BBC News has always excelled at in some respects but these failings could be remedied.

Lon More
4th Nov 2013, 07:26
The Beeb put on Shaun the Sheep so a definite http://emoticonhq.com/images/ICQ/thumbsup.jpg from me.

Shaun the Sheep: Championsheeps - Beach Volleyball (OFFICIAL VIDEO) - YouTube

UniFoxOs
4th Nov 2013, 07:56
of the BBC as a whole.

May be true, but who cares about funding anything by the TV taxpayer that doesn't benefit that taxpayer or the majority of them.

In any case if the BBC funding is cut I bet the TV licence doesn't get reduced similarly, you are talking politicians, after all.

alisoncc
4th Nov 2013, 08:25
Be interested to hear whether the Beeb's drama and documentary sections are self-supporting, as the only programs worth watching down here tend to be from the BBC. Life would be impossible if they were to cease producing so much of the good stuff that they have done todate.

Andy_S
4th Nov 2013, 09:08
It’s interesting to read the Have Your Say (HYS) section appended to this morning’s story, on the BBC News Website, about the UK having the fastest growing Western economy. Several contributors basically suggest that it’s all lies, and that the BBC are uncritically repeating Coalition / Tory propaganda………

On that note, is there anything quite as pointless as the BBC’s HYS facility? 90% of the comments posted are moronic, ill-informed, inarticulate, absurdly politically tribal or a combination of all these things. The BBC are actually employing moderators to supervise and publish this garbage, yet the value to me as a Licence fee payer is virtually zero.

500N
4th Nov 2013, 09:43
They are allowing the people to have a "voice" and so support the lefty mantra
and as a result, support the bias of the BBC and how they like to portray the world :rolleyes:

G-CPTN
4th Nov 2013, 11:12
BBC R3 & R4 OK(ish); the rest of radio is for the cerebrally challenged
Have you tried Radio Five Live?

Admittedly there is a surfeit of sport at weekends and some evenings, but the daily schedule includes current affairs.

Lon More
4th Nov 2013, 11:25
allowing the people to have a "voice"
One of the basics of democracy I thought

Cornish Jack
4th Nov 2013, 11:46
Ummm ... hesitate to mention this, but has noone cottoned on to the fact that we do have a choice about the licence fee - pay it and watch or don't pay it and don't watch. All pretty simple really.
HOWEVER There is no choice as to whether or not we pay for the mind-numbing, infantile, inescapable garbage which is foisted on us by the commercial channels:yuk::yuk: We have to pay for this juvenile idiocy via everything we purchase with no get-out!! Try asking your supermarket to reduce your bill to allow for not watching the latest vomit inducing U.S import and see how far you get.
The Beeb has, indeed, become more infantile and dumbed down over the recent past but that is because it is trying to match the opposition It has replaced adverts with ... adverts - otherwise known as 'trails'. Praise be to the inventor of the remote control and, particularly, the mute:ok::ok:

vulcanised
4th Nov 2013, 11:54
I have indeed chosen not to renew my licence for the last two years. I often watch iPlayer and don't miss 'live' television at all - except Al Jazeera which I had come to appreciate more than the BBC offering.

Only problem is R4 VHF signal has steadily deteriorated round here (presumably in an effort to boost the digital side?), frequently drifting, and often with another station underneath.

Blacksheep
7th Nov 2013, 07:10
I often despair at the lefty bias of the BBC, but my visits to the USA teach me that totally free-enterprise television is not the solution. Stay in any business hotel over there and the TV in your room will pump out 99 channels of pure shite all day long. The BBC does help to keep standards up right across the board.

Mel Effluent
7th Nov 2013, 09:29
Blacksheep,

I disagree. I travel widely and I think that the BBC World output is extraordinarily poor, on a par with CNN. They both spend more time advertising themselves that giving any useful information.

Mel

Capetonian
7th Nov 2013, 10:04
I travel widely and have lived and worked in many countries. I think that the BBC is superior to just about any other broadcaster. I despise its left wing bias and some if the utter drivel it turns out, but that is perhaps the price, along with the licence fee, that has to be paid for an overall superior service.

BBC World TV (I forget exactly what it's called) is appalling but there is nowhere I've been that beats the quality of Radio 3 and 4 and of the BBC domestic TV channels. I am told by friends who love sport as much as I loathe it that the sports coverage is superb too.

is there anything quite as pointless as the BBC’s HYS facility? 90% of the comments posted are moronic, ill-informed, inarticulate, absurdly politically tribal or a combination of all these things. The BBC are actually employing moderators to supervise and publish this garbage, yet the value to me as a Licence fee payer is virtually zero.
Try posting anything which opposes the sacred BBC viewpoint and it will rarely see the light of day, and it does, only for a few seconds before it is 'removed by a moderator'.

vulcanised
7th Nov 2013, 11:55
Just two of the several reasons why I increasingly dilike the BBC:-

I used to listen to the World Service - transmitter closed.

Ceefax was particularly useful to me - service ended.

The SSK
7th Nov 2013, 12:04
If it wasn't for Strictly Come Dancing we wouldn't be banished to the pub for an hour every Saturday.

defizr
7th Nov 2013, 12:06
World Service is available on t'internet...

BBC World Service - Programmes (http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldserviceradio/programmes)

Andy_S
7th Nov 2013, 12:35
Not a lot of good if you're travelling in foreign parts and don't have access to the internet.....

Blacksheep
7th Nov 2013, 12:36
I think that the BBC World output is extraordinarily poor, on a par with CNN.After living in SE Asia for decades with nothing but BBC World and CNN, I wholeheartedly agree with you. But the domestic channels are far superior to anything I've been subjected to over in King County. They drive one to drink and Puget Sound Clam Chowder, so they do. Its impossible to stay in and watch TV, that's for sure.

Ah yes, salmon steaks and clam chowder. When's the next Fleet Team Meeting?

defizr
7th Nov 2013, 12:44
Only trying to be helpful...

bcgallacher
8th Nov 2013, 00:43
The least of my problems with the BBC is the funding issue - we pay a licence fee of a known amount which goes to the BBC. We also pay the commercial stations to watch programmes - the difference is we have no idea how much we are paying. Companies advertising on TV pay millions for the privilege then increase the price of the product to cover the cost. It would be interesting to see how much we actually pay to watch our so-called 'free' channels.

Krystal n chips
10th Nov 2013, 09:15
I have no idea how many millions of others who watched the BBC evening News last night were truly grateful to learn that an actress who had formerly appeared in Cobblednation Street had fainted twice and would not now be appearing in "Strictly".......news of such a significant event in the nations history does indeed require inclusion in news broadcasts.

Capot
10th Nov 2013, 15:24
if I wish to find out what's happening in the wider world I have to flick over to Al Jaziera.Hear, hear! Infinitely better-informed coverage of the Middle East as you might expect, but also much more balanced and comprehensive coverage of other world affairs.

Watching a BBC News programme, followed by watching an Al Jaziera one is a real eye-opener.

The Beeb lost the right to a licence fee income extorted from an unwilling public years ago when its "management" structure began to grow exponentially like a malignant cancer, employing useless bureaucrats in pointless jobs, who do less and less as their numbers increase, at the expense of the creative resources the BBC once had. The BBCs misuse of billions of pounds in IT that doesn't work, the move to Manchester (what the f**k was that for?), the payoffs to the said useless bureaucrats, etc etc etc is the only reason needed to stop collecting the licence fee this week, and turn the BBC loose into the real world.

I would enjoy watching all these people who need huge salaries and bonuses to stop them going to the opposition, as they struggle to find a job as a shelf -stacker in the real world. Perhaps what's left of the licence fee could be used to fund their dole payments until it runs out.

And perhaps someone can make sure that the redundancy payments they get, which are paid from public funds aka the licence fee, are no more than those required by law.

Mr Chips
10th Nov 2013, 15:28
Ummm Cornish jack
Ummm ... hesitate to mention this, but has noone cottoned on to the fact that we do have a choice about the licence fee - pay it and watch or don't pay it and don't watch. All pretty simple really.

You sure? How about I choose not to watch any BBC output at all, and only watch commercial channels showing American imported TV,and I do so via a cable service that I pay Virgin Media for. Are you saying that I then don't need a TV licence? Hope you will stand up in court and defend me then.....

Flash2001
10th Nov 2013, 16:13
When I was in the technical end of broadcasting, BBC audio boards had the sense of the faders reversed. That is to say the audio level increased as the slider moved towards the operator contrary to the practice on the rest of the planet. Any BBC type could tell you that this was the only possible way to do it! At a convention once I noticed that a camera manufacturer offered a setup with 2 separate control panels for shading the camera, one for the colour and one for the monochrome aspects of the picture. I asked why and was told that this was a BBC special as those who controlled these parameters were in different unions. It is but to weep...

After an excellent landing etc...

MG23
10th Nov 2013, 17:30
Stay in any business hotel over there and the TV in your room will pump out 99 channels of pure shite all day long. The BBC does help to keep standards up right across the board.

The only people I've met who think the BBC is 'the envy of the world' are Britons. The rest of the world are mostly happy with their '99 channels of pure shite'.

I don't watch much TV at all, but most of what I do watch are American shows, with the odd British one from ITV or Channel 4 (e.g. Foyle's War). The last thing we watched from the BBC was Doctor Who, and even that's become tediously politically correct. By far the best things the BBC do are co-productions with American stations, like Band of Brothers and Rome, because they can't spend half the time pushing their lefty agenda.

Andy_S
11th Nov 2013, 13:05
Here's one story you won't find on the BBC website:

BBC pays seven times more to Labour MPs, figures show - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/bbc/10440821/BBC-pays-seven-times-more-to-Labour-MPs-figures-show.html)