PDA

View Full Version : iPad plug in GPS or Bluetooth.

OZ-G10
3rd Nov 2013, 03:59
Have a wifi iPad and am looking at the Badelf plug in or the Gns Bluetooth for GPS reception any feed back on user friendliness and reliability would be appreciated. I was thinking the plug in might be prone to getting knocked and damaged.

cxa340so
3rd Nov 2013, 04:12
I have seen the Garmin GLO used with an IPAD with great success.
it is easily placed at the rear window ledge on a A320.
I was used to track the moving map En route chart of Jeppesen Flight deck Pro?). Very nice bit of kit.

Can not comment on the model you are referring to.

Product Support Page (http://support.garmin.com/support/sw/supportPage/display?locale=en_US&topicName=GLO)

kaz3g
3rd Nov 2013, 06:11
I have a Garmin Glo which works well but the on-off switch is ridiculously easy to bump and the battery flattens in your flight bag, handbag or pocket whichever you prefer.

Battery does last around 8 hours and you can charge on the fly with a cigar lighter socket.

Bluetooth is undoubtedly the way to go.

Kaz

Shagpile
3rd Nov 2013, 07:20
+1 GLO. I Don't get any support emails about Garmin GLO. Used to get lots about the Dual not connecting but maybe Apple have fixed that now as I haven't heard anything in a while.

+3 for internal iPad GPS (wifi+cellular) if you haven't bought an iPad yet. Same price increase as buying the external one but don't have to worry about batteries etc. I've never had a reception problem.

RadioSaigon
3rd Nov 2013, 07:29
Another +1 for the GLO. I have the same setup, WiFi iPad Mini and GLO via Bluetooth. Works very well.

I have also experienced the same issues as kaz3g, but overall am very happy with this outfit as a backup to the installed 530 and my old 296.

Ex FSO GRIFFO
3rd Nov 2013, 08:27
'Ullo, Well, I must be the 'odd man out', because I have a 'Bad Elf Pro' which I 'Bluetooth' to my I-Pad with OZrunways....and I LUV IT!

To my mind, the 'Bad Elf Pro' is 'superior' as it gives the basic readings of speed, alt, track, and accuracy, all on its own screen - as well as on the I-pad screen - and can be connected to up to 5 different appliances....

Plus its display of satellite acquisition etc, instead of just a light, makes it well worth the difference...IMHO...

Bad Elf (http://bad-elf.com/)

And, no, not on commisssssssion.....just a 'good product' I rekkon..

Cheers:D

Jack Ranga
3rd Nov 2013, 08:34
I wouldn't call you odd griffo old mate :ok:

Bad elf kicks ass! Connect several devices at a time, battery lasts forever, plus whatever griffo said as well :ok:

Ex FSO GRIFFO
3rd Nov 2013, 08:35
HI JACK!!!!

D E T R E S F A .........:ok:

djpil
3rd Nov 2013, 09:03
I have an Ultimate plugin GPS. Works ok with my old iPad on my kneeboard with the plug at the knee end. One cable keeps the GPS and iPad charged. I want to get a cable so I can place the GPS remotely for better reception if needed.

fujii
3rd Nov 2013, 09:09
I use a "Dual" GPS Bluetoothed to my iPad. Sits on top of the instrument panel with a but of Velcro where it has a good view of the sky.

MilFlyer
18th Dec 2013, 06:13
Used to get lots about the Dual not connecting but maybe Apple have fixed that now

Apple introduced an issue with connecting to external GPS units in (from memory) iOS 6. It's fixed now though. The issue could be fixed via a workaround. It actually affected all external GPS units. Thankfully all good now though.

Ultralights
18th Dec 2013, 06:51
I have the Garmin GLO, love it, no issues with it ever.

OZ-G10
18th Dec 2013, 12:56
Got a GNS2000 and it works just fine.

Going Nowhere
18th Dec 2013, 19:37
Anyone know where has the best price on thee Bad Elf Pro?

morno
18th Dec 2013, 20:39
By cellular chip Clint, you mean a SIM card?

VH-XXX
18th Dec 2013, 21:19
Going Nowhere, I've had good experiences with this mob.

GPS iPad GPS - GPS - Avionics - Headsets - Mendelssohn Pilot Supplies Australia (http://www.ozpilot.com.au/GPS/iPad-GPS/c-1-94-314/?gclid=CObz-tfmursCFUlFpQodOl8ARw)

Bought a liferaft, AHRS, AH, Transponder and lifejackets from them over the last couple of years and always got a discount for being nice :ok:

OZ-G10
11th Jan 2014, 02:28
My GNS2000 is working intermittently for a minute sometimes 3-4 minutes then drops out, if i switch the unit off then back on it does the same thing any suggestions or perhaps just a faulty and send it back? Thanks.

Exceptional Pilot
11th Jan 2014, 09:31
The badelf pro is exceptional

Agent86
12th Jan 2014, 07:14
Dual have released the big brother to the 150, the XGPS160 (http://gps.dualav.com/explore-by-product/xgps160/)
Similar features to the Bad Elf Pro ..Multi connections, GPS/GLONASS, Data logging. but still retains the advantage of Android, Windows AND Apple connections. Looks good so far ...Can anyone post a review?

beerdrinker
12th Jan 2014, 08:35
A few questions about the IPad Mini (with 3G and therefore with GPS) and the Garmin GLO connected by Bluetooth.

1. How do you know that the Mini has discarded its internal GPS and is using position from the GLO?
2. Can you tell which satellites the GLO is using?
3. Is it possible to switch off the GPS in the Mini?

Same questions regarding the Nexus7.

Thanks

Agent86
12th Jan 2014, 11:05
Beerdrinker, For any 3G Ipad to use an external GPS you have to be in airplane mode (very appropriate I guess). You then have to turn ON Bluetooth and check that the GLO/Dual/Elf is connected.
I am not sure if the Glo has an App to show the Sat status. Both the Dual and the Elf do.

Re Nexus ... CapnBloggs ..how do you ensure you are using the Ext GPS?