PDA

View Full Version : B737 Bomb Threat F15 landing

Pin Head
2nd Nov 2013, 20:30
Why does the QRH call for a flap15 landing?

Possibly a busy time to be doing a non normal configuration.

Captaintcas
2nd Nov 2013, 20:38
F15 is a normal configuration, no QRH checklist required when all systems work normally.

As a matter of fact, we don't even have a bomb onboard QRH checklist, and never heard of one either.

Pin Head
3rd Nov 2013, 00:49
Sorry bomb threat QRH.

F15 normal landing flap for a 737?

misd-agin
3rd Nov 2013, 01:43
"As a matter of fact, we don't even have a bomb onboard QRH checklist, and never heard of one either."

25+ yrs in the industry and have never not had a bomb on board checklist.

Wizofoz
3rd Nov 2013, 03:27
Greater control authority in the event it goes bang and damages the airframe.

Denti
3rd Nov 2013, 05:21
Note in ours explains that it is done in flight to achieve an in trim configuration that is survivable if vital aircraft systems are damaged lateron when it goes boom. However there is an additional note that says to land with normal landing flap settings (30/40) if conditions permit.

Sciolistes
3rd Nov 2013, 08:37
F15 normal landing flap for a 737?
As far the FCTM is concerned, 15, 30 and 40 are normal landing flaps. However, my company regards F15 as a non-normal config only.

I quote the FCTM:
For normal landings, use flaps 15, 30, or flaps 40. Flaps 15 is normally limited to airports where approach climb performance is a factor. Flaps 30 provides better noise abatement and reduced flap wear/loads. When performance criteria are met, use flaps 40 to minimize landing speed, and landing distance.

Note:Normal landings using flaps 15 are permitted for authorized operators with appropriate performance data available

Never seen a Bomb QRH either :confused:

Breakthesilence
3rd Nov 2013, 09:27
The QRH Bomb Threat checklist is not produced by Boeing.

It is located in the OPS section of the QRH (section reserved to Airline's produced informations/checklist).

The airline I work for has customized this section with informations relating to PRNAV, RVSM, Low Visibility and others. Among these, you may find the Bomb Threat Checklist.

However, no mention to Flaps 15 landing is found in ours, even if it is a normal configuration for the 737.
Interesting hint this one, but I hope to never be in this situation to apply that :}

Denti
3rd Nov 2013, 10:12
Guess it depends, as far as i know F15 can not be certified as a normal flap setting in EASA countries, but is quite normal in the US. Dunno about elsewhere.

Yes, the bomb checklist is a company procedures, our company procedures are just in the Non Normal section as all other non normal checklists as well, but are denoted with a "<>" after the check list title.

Pin Head
3rd Nov 2013, 11:46
I work for the UK leading charter airline part of the worlds biggest travel group, and yes it is in our QRH.

Breakthesilence
3rd Nov 2013, 16:06
Guess it depends, as far as i know F15 can not be certified as a normal flap setting in EASA countries,

I work in the EASA environment (Country, Airline and Airplanes registered in EASA) and we don't have any limitation regarding the use of Flaps 15 for landing.

Denti
3rd Nov 2013, 17:16
Interesting, so F15 is a normal landing flap setting without any additionally required procedure to disarm your EGPWS? Used during normal line OPS? To be honest i would love to be able to do that, especially with a lightweight -700 as that one is simply too slow for normal traffic flow with its normal Vrefs of 120 and below.

misd-agin
4th Nov 2013, 01:41
F15 = normal ops with light weight and long runway. Captain's discretion. Another 12(?) kts to Vref? No thanks.

Just checked - it's 7-8 kts additional.

Minimum real world would be about 133 kts, typical would be approx. 150-155kts.

Clandestino
4th Nov 2013, 07:06
Never seen a Bomb QRH eitherNot on 737 (yet) just to mention I've only seen bomb checklist from the outside and was lucky enough I never had to break the seal. Matter of presentation (or even existence) is country and company dependent.

boofhead
9th Nov 2013, 16:54
There has never been a real or fake bomb found on an airplane that has had a bomb threat. What would be the point of a bomber telling anyone? I was told of a guy back in the 50s who put a bomb in his wife's carry-on then called in to report it when he had second thoughts but I am not sure that actually happened. However the stats would show there is little to worry about if a bomb threat is called in. The airline should know how to differentiate between a likely and unlikely threat and give instructions for the crew to act accordingly.

If considered real the crew should divert, carry out a search, move the bomb if found to the designated place in the airplane (with precautions) and prepare the airplane for a possible explosion.

A pressurized airplane does not need a big explosion to bring it down because it is already under pressure close to its maximum permitted differential. If it is running 10 psi and the max is 15 then the explosion only has to spike 5 psi. Pressure waves will provide this easily. The airspeed acting on the hull will tear the fuselage apart with only a small hole.

An unpressurized hull can easily absorb the same 5 psi spike, the energy mostly passing out of the opened outflow valves. Any damage will be localized. A reduced airspeed will reduce the secondary damage.

Thus you need to descend, depressurize and slow down. Putting down some flap and the gear will allow for a safe landing if the bomb destroys any critical hydraulic or electric supplies.

An easy way is to set the cabin altitude to the present figure (8000?) then descend to that altitude or close to it. As the airplane approaches that altitude the diff will become zero. This precludes setting off a bomb that has an altitude trigger. If it has a timer you will have to be able to get into a safe position and altitude before it actuates but since you won't know what that time is, why worry?

If a long way from a landing place you might have to grin and bear it for a while but again, there is little actual risk.

It helps to be prepared. I sent a B744 checklist to Boeing many years ago but they did not reply. This was prior to the internet and the cost of stamps caused me to drop the idea. However there have not been any real bomb incidents for many years so maybe they are right not to have it. Airbus did pick it up and I think it is in their abnormal QRH, you might refer to it there.