PDA

View Full Version : Kitchens and nightmares

probes
2nd Nov 2013, 16:51
well, I'm the one who used to never watch any cooking-programmes - probably because I had not seen Ramsay's ones and his Kitchen Nightmares. Being an erratic TV-viewer. And the kind of cook who prefers food that is put to the oven (wood-heated, of course) and then let get cooked undisturbed (by me).
OK, I did see some of the old ones now and they're fascinating. I guess he had to have some team to help him work out a strategy with the nightmare personalities there, but still. Impressive. Beautiful.
And then I hear some friends went to his own restaurant and the food was a nightmare??
Any experience, anybody?

Krystal n chips
2nd Nov 2013, 18:26
" I guess he had to have some team to help him work out a strategy with the nightmare personalities there, but still. Impressive. Beautiful.
And then I hear some friends went to his own restaurant and the food was a nightmare??
Any experience, anybody?

That would be his I assume

Like Clarkson et al, the personality is presented to a grateful public in the name of entertainment and the promotion of the brand / ego.....and bank balance of said ego. Nothing to do with cooking, as such, therefore.

Never eaten, and never will, at any of his outlets because there is no point in being daft enough to pay ridiculous prices to eat, when there are numerous other outlets where you can eat quality food.

On the other hand, I wouldn't mind the opportunity to have a go back at Gordon as he seems to thrive on those who submit to his rants which would not be the case with me.

I have though, and only because the venue was chosen for a group meal at a leaving do, eaten at another well known "celeb" chef from Essex venue in Birmingham.

The building itself bears a close resemblance to a hangar, of which I have some experience, and thereafter, a shrine to the Darlin'one....plenty of merchandise on display to put it mildly.....which one declined to buy, strangely.

Which leads to the reason for being there....the food.

We had pre-ordered as a group and thus when the meal arrived, meatballs and pasta, albeit promoted as carbonara, one was confronted with....precisely three meatballs !...which was a 50% increase on a friend who received 1.5....how .5 of a meatball can be sold as a complete item is beyond me, but, it is possible. The sauce ?.....well possibly the sauce was an optional extra as there wasn't any, only a substance more akin to the residue of oil and water when you drain a sump and the gasket is leaking.

The beer....light or dark as it was described....and at 4 a bottle was duly ignored after one beer.....4 ???......Jamie may wish to be aware that we knew exactly where he could place his beer.... and the bottle.....unopened.

probes
3rd Nov 2013, 07:42
one was confronted with....precisely three meatballs
http://mail.yimg.com/ok/u/assets/img/emoticons/emo18.gif - well, sometimes the opposite is not welcome either - once when I ordered a meatball soup and expected something with some potatoes and carrots etc in there plus a couple of small meatballs, and got several meatballs the size of golf balls, some liquid and that's it.
My spouse would have loved it, being the carnivore, but me... had these been Brussel sprouts, I'd have been much happier :).

Sallyann1234
3rd Nov 2013, 10:26
Eerm. I think you meant a 100 percent increase.

wings folded
3rd Nov 2013, 11:20
I love Jet Blast.

Where else can you distract yourself from the tedium of daily life by contemplating percentage increments of meatballs?

I can find no other sauce. (Sorry, source).

Krystal n chips
3rd Nov 2013, 13:17
" Eerm. I think you meant a 100 percent increase. "

In my defence, I was distracted by the memory and trauma of the evening, notably spending 15 on the meal.

That, and I made a "minor calculating error"...it happens all the time in politics after all..... of the maths when I posted of course :uhoh:...a mere detail however in the far greater scheme of Jamie's less than hospitable venue, food and service......

angels
3rd Nov 2013, 13:23
Here are some kitchen nightmares!

Ultimate In the Kitchen Fails Compilation 2013 || Uniformedia - YouTube