PDA

View Full Version : Police State UK

OFSO
2nd Nov 2013, 08:00
Did anyone else hear Ian Hislops story on HIGNFY last night ?

The current issue of "Private Eye" has a front cover depicting La Brooks as a Halloween Witch.

Two police officers entered a newsagents near the High Court on Thursday and asked the owner to remove copies of "Private Eye" from the display shelves.

The owner asked the police if they had any legal justification for doing so: they replied no.

In that case, said the owner, I am not going to comply with your request.

The police left.

That's the way Hislop told the story.

Krystal n chips
2nd Nov 2013, 08:31
Obviously, HIGNFY was required viewing last night....the next Queens Speech should contain a clause which makes viewing the programme a legal obligation and likewise the purchase of "Private Eye"....this is just a taxpayers less than humble opinion at this stage you understand.

Whilst I heard the comment, to be honest I was ever slightly distracted by the presenter given that, as I have said, I am far from averse (unlike many on here) to the views and personalities of intelligent and articulate ladies.

The proposal however, that the actions of two police officers, can be construed as a "police state" can be summated in one word, well two actually.

Utter bolleaux.

Next risible suggestion or proposition please.

Vercingetorix
2nd Nov 2013, 08:54
Krystal n chips
If it is 'Utter Bolleaux" why did the two Ploddies do it. Hardly off their own bat, more likely under a diktat from an ill educated idiot supervisor.

:uhoh:

Krystal n chips
2nd Nov 2013, 09:01
" If it is 'Utter Bolleaux" why did the two Ploddies do it. Hardly off their own bat, more likely under a diktat from an ill educated idiot supervisor"

I don't know....however, what I do know is that their actions do not constitute a "police state" and hence my response to this effect.

I do have a copy of said issue of course.

tony draper
2nd Nov 2013, 09:21
Didn't the Constabulary visit a Toyshop a couple of years back and demand they remove Gollywogs from the window display lest they cause offence?:uhoh:
Now that is PC gorn mad

Sallyann1234
2nd Nov 2013, 09:53
Being a devoted subscriber to PE and viewer of HIGNFY, I do wonder how the programme gets away with its weekly product placement of the magazine. Great fun though.
It's just a pity that we sometimes have to suffer the variability of the different guest panellists. Last night's two overgrown schoolboys were truly pathetic.
Mr PE must get to hear just about every bit of scandal - he must be a great dinner party guest.

angels
2nd Nov 2013, 10:24
I'm huge fan of PE.

The incident referred to did happen and is a classic case of a plod trying to interpret a judge's comments and getting it utterly wrong because he's thick.

The judge essentially said 'You will see stuff like this. It's not my sense of humour but its essentially harmless. Don't let drivel affect your thinking."

It's rather like the JB thread on the trial descending into a case of whether or not Rebekah is worth a shag. :rolleyes:

I refer you to my interpretation of the judge's comments. :}

OFSO
2nd Nov 2013, 10:26
Mine hasn't arrived yet this week.

I'm not so sure Mr K & C that this is an isolated incident. I know its a thread drift but there is a splendid clip on YouTube of two police officers warning a person that he is not allowed to take pictures of them (whether video or still I cannot remember) after they enter his private property/garden to warn him that he cannot take pictures of them on his private property.

What I fear is that no matter whether something is legal or not, you can still be warned not to do it: it becomes an offence or potential offense if the police say it is. Unless, that is, you are a plucky newsagent.

VP959
2nd Nov 2013, 10:32
The police got it wrong, simply because they were not aware that the court order banning publication of the Brooks/Coulson affair had been, in effect, overturned by:

1 - Every man and his dog having been able to find out about this affair from non-UK sources at the time that Downing Street chose to impose reporting restrictions via the courts for fear of further embarrassing CMD.

2 - The judge in the case had not imposed reporting restrictions and made it clear that the evidence of the long running affair between Brooks and Coulson was pertinent to the case.

Were the police officers stupid to walk in to a news agent and request the removal of a lawfully produced publication? Yes, without a doubt they were.

Was that stupidity a consequence of them wanting to deliberately act in a way that we might refer to as associated with a "police state"? No, it was just stupid police officers who were ill-informed and lacked the sense they were born with.

The worrying thing here is the lack of judgement and foresight of these police officers. They should have been able to guess that asking a news vendor to remove a publication from sale without either a warrant of any legal justification was going to be reported negatively in the press. Coming so close to the demonstrable ability for some police officers to bend the truth, or even lie, in order to try and achieve political influence, the level of their stupidity has to raise questions as to whether they are fit to do their job.

racedo
2nd Nov 2013, 10:47
I believe the newsagent in question is close to the Old Bailey where supposed Courts of Justice sit.

UK Govt is trying to bring media to heel because of what they did to MPs on Expenses and highlighting the abuse within the system.

Also suggested that UK Govt would force the press to not report on any of the Snowden data reaching the media.

Frankly in a digital age it has no chance.

UK has been a police state for years where people have been spied on. At last count I believe there were 3 million cameras watching people.

I reckon it will not be long before everyones TV will be required to have a camera fitted to ensure someone is safe etc etc

George Orwell's 1984 reads almost as a blueprint for state surveillance but now Winston Smith would not be in a huge department changing historical news, he would just need to update Wikipedia and a few other news sources.

Cacophonix
2nd Nov 2013, 10:55
Every time I think about where Britain is headed I think of this film (pretty prophetic)...

The on-going onslaught against the press is the thin edge of the wedge.

Brazil (Terry Gilliam, 1985) - Ministry of Information - YouTube

Caco

Seldomfitforpurpose
2nd Nov 2013, 11:01
Sounds like a really good moment to enter the tin foil hat manufacturing industry :ok:

Cacophonix
2nd Nov 2013, 11:07
Sounds like a really good moment to enter the tin foil hat manufacturing industry http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/thumbs.gif

Purchase Alcan shares! Less difficult to manage and sell any shares in companies that own newspapers. ;)

Freedom is tenuous... and better to be paranoiac than lose your liberty.

Caco

Seldomfitforpurpose
2nd Nov 2013, 11:33
Purchase Alcan shares! Less difficult to manage and sell any shares in companies that own newspapers. ;)

Freedom is tenuous... and better to be paranoiac than lose your liberty.

Caco

Nah, much better to go about life in a carefree manner enjoying ones self than live frightened fartless about an imaginary bogeyman :ok:

Cacophonix
2nd Nov 2013, 11:38
than live frightened fartless about an imaginary
bogeywoman http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/thumbs.gif

You don't know Madame Cacophonix! ;)

Caco

Loki
2nd Nov 2013, 11:55
Hardly offensive....just a bit of silliness
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k288/loki_021/001_zps3e7c4142.jpg (http://s91.photobucket.com/user/loki_021/media/001_zps3e7c4142.jpg.html)

vulcanised
2nd Nov 2013, 12:55
On the 10am R4 news a couple of days ago, when I was not paying full attention, I heard that a number of people had been sentenced to jail (22 months was mentioned) for racial chants !

I paid more attention to subsequent news, but it was not mentioned again, and I've seen nothing on the 'net. Something sat on?

Orion Man
2nd Nov 2013, 13:16
This one OFSO ?

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9LMKBuGvGUo&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D9LMKBuGvGUo

Lightning Mate
2nd Nov 2013, 13:28
I dislike the term "police officer".

Officers hold the Queens' commission.

....and note the position of the apostrophe.

SilsoeSid
2nd Nov 2013, 16:05
The clue is the seventh word of the first line of the OP :ugh:

SilsoeSid
2nd Nov 2013, 16:08
Lightning Mate
I dislike the term "police officer".

Mmmm, so how does Warrant Officer work then?

Solid Rust Twotter
2nd Nov 2013, 18:53
Holds the Queens' warrant.

500N
2nd Nov 2013, 18:58
SRT

You beat me to it !

I have seen numerous comments re Warrant Officers holding commissions,
especially on PPRuNe, not sure where it comes from.

G-CPTN
2nd Nov 2013, 19:29
I believe police carry a warrant card.

racedo
2nd Nov 2013, 21:22
I believe police carry a warrant card.

With a requirement to carry it 24/7...................

Do remember being out with friends where leery drunk figured he would flash warrant card when someone disagreed with him........................figured he wouldn't get called on it. He was a kinda dumb PC (prob ex now) .............especially when rank got pulled and a another warrant card got pulled at a more senior level, who to be fair looked didn't look the part.
Getting dressed down in public by a senior officer just after you telling everybody how much power you have gotta hurt :E and exiting when people laughing at you even more so.

Seldomfitforpurpose
2nd Nov 2013, 21:49
SRT

You beat me to it !

I have seen numerous comments re Warrant Officers holding commissions,
especially on PPRuNe, not sure where it comes from.

AFAIK some parts of the US military have Warrant Officers who are Comissioned Officers but having just looked in my downstairs dunny my Scroll is entitled Warrant and then goes on to label me Warrant Officer.

The only down side is my certificate was signed by that horrible little Sec State for Defence Des Browne who I had the displeasure of watching eat his own ear wax on the flight deck of a J model whilst in Eyerack :ok:

SilsoeSid
2nd Nov 2013, 22:03
Doesn't a Police 'person' hold the office of Constable.

SilsoeSid
2nd Nov 2013, 22:10

.... I'm still trying to work out what the 'O' in (S)NCO stands for ;)

http://www.army.mod.uk/documents/general/RMAS_Queens_Commission_Jnr_Offr_guide.pdf

ChrisVJ
2nd Nov 2013, 22:24
When I was in college learning from left wing professors for a short while we oftne heard and referred to the UK as a police state. Of course, even compared to todays it was nothing of the sort and most people wouldn't actually consider it so today if they were thinking dispassionately and had not just been pulled up for speeding, or something.

I do get worried about the place I live when it displays some of the characteristics we used to read of in those states we recognised as police states. Surely the level of surveillance by authorities, electronic in the USA and Video in the UK must give rise to concern.

When would you characterize your place as a police state? When it displays some of those behaviours, a majority of behaviours or would it have to display all or nearly all of the behaviours?

At some time on my thirties, maybe late thirties I realised one day walking down the street that I was worried seeing a policeman approach. I hadn't done anything to warrant the worry but at some time in the previous decade they had, in my mind, gone from being friendly, helpful and upright to being officious, often unhelpful or wrong and, by reputation at least, bent.

Seldomfitforpurpose
2nd Nov 2013, 22:28
At some time on my thirties, maybe late thirties I realised one day walking down the street that I was worried seeing a policeman approach. I hadn't done anything to warrant the worry but at some time in the previous decade they had, in my mind, gone from being friendly, helpful and upright to being officious, often unhelpful or wrong and, by reputation at least, bent.

A polite enquiry but on that particular day what did those approaching police folk actually do?

crippen
3rd Nov 2013, 01:02
Today we mourn the passing of a beloved old friend, Common Sense, who has been with us for many years. No one knows for sure hold old he was, since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape. He will be remembered as having cultivated such valuable lessons as:

Knowing when to come in out of the rain;
Why the early bird gets the worm;
Life isnít always fair;
And maybe it was my fault.

Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies (donít spend more than you earn) and reliable strategies (adults, not children, are in charge).

His health began to deteriorate rapidly when well-intentioned but overbearing regulations with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate; teens suspended from school for using mouthwash after lunch; and a teacher fired for reprimanding an unruly student, only worsened his condition.

Common Sense lost ground when parents attacked teachers for doing the job that they themselves had failed to do in disciplining their unruly children.

Common Sense lost the will to live as the churches became businesses; and criminals received better treatment than their victims.

Common Sense took a beating when you couldnít defend yourself from a burglar in your own home and the burglar could sue you for assault.

Common Sense finally gave up the will to live, after a woman failed to realize that a steaming cup of coffee was hot. She spilled a little in her lap, and was promptly awarded a huge settlement.

Common Sense was preceded in death Ė
-by his parents, Truth and Trust,
-by his wife, Discretion,
-by his daughter, Responsibility,
-and by his son, Reason

He is survived by his 5 stepbrothers Ė
-I know my rights,
-I want it now,
-Someone else is to blame,
-Iím a victim,
-Pay me for doing nothing.

Not many attended his funeral because so few realized he was gone. If you still remember him, re-post. If not, join the majority and do nothing.

Victor Inox
3rd Nov 2013, 10:19
Yes, we must prevent the UK from becoming something like Singapore, where they even try to run a "Ministry of Truth". But having said that, our very own BBC has happily set up camp in the fried rice paradise and voluntarily signed up to not reporting anything to do with Singaporean domestic politics. So it's hardly surprising that the British public sector is increasingly behaving in an Orwellian fashion.

RedhillPhil
3rd Nov 2013, 13:16
Even if you don't usually take Private Eye it's worth getting the current one for the Misery Morrisey p155 take within.

ChrisVJ
4th Nov 2013, 08:09
SFFP

Absolutely nothing. I was just pondering at what point one considers that one lives in a police state.

One's fifth son announced last week that he has applied to the local police force and has passed the first entrance test

bcgallacher
4th Nov 2013, 08:34
Those who think we live in a police state have obviously never spent any time in one - in a police state the newsagent would not have the option of basically telling the policemen to bugger off. Be grateful that we have a relatively free and safe society - I do not like our political leaders but I am not afraid of them.There is a damn sight worse than here - I have seen it.