PDA

View Full Version : aerotow pilots

teapoo
9th May 2002, 10:48
i was wondering what the situation was over there with commercial glidertowing. i was interested in finding out were the major gliding centers are. if anyone could give me some information on were they are and how to contact them it would be great, as i am interested in trying to get some work anywere towing gliders, and even flying on the other peice of the string.
cheers

MLS-12D
12th Jul 2002, 21:49
Some major commercial centres are located at:

Elmira, N.Y. [www.sacusa.com/SoaringSchool]
Julian, Penn. [www.eglider.org]
Lancaster, S.C. [www.glider.org]
Maricopa, Arizona [www.azsoaring.com]
Minden, Nevada [www.soarminden.com]
Orlando, Florida [www.soarfl.com]

You can find the (minimum) experience requirements for glider tow pilots in the FARS, at section 61.69. Go to www.faa.gov and click on "Regulatory/Advisory".

MLS-12D:cool:

Wireless
13th Jul 2002, 10:15
Hey Teapoo,

You might want to consider the UK as well. Every year around Feb/March, the large, full time gliding centres such as Lasham, Aboyne and Booker look for a full time tug Pilot for the season. I have done it for a year and it was the best 6 months I have had in flying. The only requirements are (usually) tailwheel experience and the right to fly G-reg aircraft. Sometimes the clubs will state a need for pervious gliding experience, but I got took on with no gliding experience at all. You can pick up the techniques for towing into lift as you go along. Some clubs state an insurance requirment of 100 hours to fly a/c such as the Pawnee (what a beast).

I don't have a clue about gaining a work permit in the UK, but it has got to be easier than the States!

One more thing, when towing, keep a damn good eye on your mirrors. If the rope goes vertical, pull the bung, otherwise you will be staring at the ground in seconds!

Cheers, Bill:D