PDA

View Full Version : Autumn Internationals

Dak Man
1st Nov 2013, 17:26
Another round of sumptuous weekend rugby is about to commence. :):ouch::)

http://imgbin.me/image/WDECPGGQ.jpg

Seldomfitforpurpose
1st Nov 2013, 18:38
We have tickets for the England v All Blacks and as Twickenham virgins we are really looking forward to the day out but probably not the score :ok:

Wholigan
1st Nov 2013, 19:55
Don't know how you're getting to Twickers but, if going by train, at the end of the game don't bother going straight to the station. Walk down the road a way and have a curry and a beer or two, because the mob will fill up the first gazillion trains and you'll get peed off waiting to even get close to the station.

Just walk past Twickenham station and there are some Indian places on London Road and York Street area.

Anyway, you'll probably need a couple of beers!!!!! ;)

Seldomfitforpurpose
1st Nov 2013, 23:18
Thanks for that very kind tip :ok:

Cacophonix
2nd Nov 2013, 10:23
Intriguing situation. Methinks England have a very good chance of beating Aus...

Now where to go watch the game as I don't subscribe to Sky...?

Caco

charliegolf
2nd Nov 2013, 13:06
Methinks England have a very good chance of beating Aus...

Now where to go watch the game as I don't subscribe to Sky...?

Fantasy Island?

:ok:

sidevalve
2nd Nov 2013, 14:32
Watch it here..
England - Australia (http://0eb.net/playerallr.php?id=658981)

Dak Man
2nd Nov 2013, 16:27
2 poor teams really, both England tries the result of poor officiating.

Stuart Barnes & Miles Harrison, what a pair of tossers, particularly Barnes, he's Welsh FFS, they're a prize pair of twunts.

sled dog
2nd Nov 2013, 17:38
A WIN IS A WIN :p

Dak Man
2nd Nov 2013, 22:15
Without a doubt Sled, but, Lancaster et al will be worried or at best concerned.

McKenzie reminds me of Gatland in his early days, he has a team with talent not quite buying into or executing the gameplan, however I do genuinely believe that this Shackle Draggers team will come good, as Wales eventually did under Gatland as evidence by their 2011 RWC performances and complete humiliation of England last March.

Solid Rust Twotter
3rd Nov 2013, 04:17
Well done England! Small mob of England supporters propping up a table in the pub. Well behaved and very involved in the game. Good for them and good for the team.

RequestPidgeons
3rd Nov 2013, 05:33
Stade de France next week will be interesting....

Dak, I think McKenzie is having the same issues that Deans faced; a disfunctional team. Although, they did put up a good fight in Dunedin a couple of weeks back.

DuncanF
3rd Nov 2013, 09:13
We have tickets for the England v All Blacks and as Twickenham virgins we are really looking forward to the day out but probably not the score
I find that Richmond is an easier route to HQ than Twickenham Station. Plenty of pubs/restaurants to have a drink/meal in before you go. Then a 5 min walk to the bypass where the buses are lined up to take you to the North end of the stadium.

Don't rush to leave afterwards. Have a beer or two in the ground and then hop on one of the free buses back to Richmond. I think they run for a couple of hours after the match but do check.

Oh, and bring plenty of cash. I've been going to Twickenham for many years but it always amazes me the prices that are charged in the ground. Yesterday I found Guinness @ 5 and a burger @ 6! :=

ExRAFRadar
4th Nov 2013, 12:22
Seldom -
I live in the heart of Twickers and agree with the above post, don't head straight for the train, there lies madness.

If you walk past the station, over the bridge you will come to some lights.
To your right is the Cabbage Patch. Expensive, even on non match day, on the Left is The London Road. Never been in there but it seems like a good place but it always gets mobbed. They usually have a big tent out back in the car park
Cross the lights and you have another pub on the opposite side from Waitrose, down from the Cabbage. It has a reputation as being the place that the locals who are barred from the other pubs go to but who knows on Match days.

On the same side as that, bit further up is the newly opened (well last 3 months) Twickenham Inn, or something like that. Bit too dark for my liking.
Opposite that is a big old Weatherspoons, not bad, cheap pint on non match days.

If you cross the road at the Barclays bank and follow the road round to the left you will come to Church Street. 2 pubs down there.
The Fox is great, don't be put off by the fact you seem to be going into a dungeon as you enter. Great atmosphere but the staff can be a bit crap.
The Eel Pie is just up from there on the left. It is my sort of local. Good landlord and nice staff, including one young lady who has to be seen to be believed.Stunner. :-)

Turn right at the Eel Pie, head towards the river and on your right you have the Balmy Arms. My other 'local' as they tend to have women of a certain age looking for a bit of rough.Dont be put off though as it has a massive front area with tables, outside bar, BBQ going and generally a great post match atmosphere. They tend to take over the whole of the river front down there.

At the river instead of going to the Balmy Arms turn left, walk past the Church, follow the road as it follows the river and after about 2 minutes walk you will come to the White Swan (Mucky Duck). Small bar but has the advantage if the weather is not too cold of a great garden overlooking the river.

As with the Balmy the fans tend to take over the whole river front.

If your a real ale drinker and fancy a 20 minute walk then Twickenham Green should be your destination.The Sussex Arms has something like 20 beers on sale, let you try a sample and also do Cider. Real Cider, not Strongbow. You can tell it is an ale pub, I think they do one lager. And it's crap.

Curry Houses - Church street has a couple, and if you walk past the Barclays and turn right, away from Church Street, there is another couple on the main drag. Another pub, The George, has a student based clientele normally and is a bit of a Sports pub with screens everywhere.

Lastly there is a Thai Restaurant on York Road, past another pub called The Bear.

Be advised they all get very, very busy as you would expect but there is normally a really good atmosphere in them all in the early evening, post match.

Have a great day.

Dak Man
6th Nov 2013, 16:34
Couple of big ones this weekend, France Vs ABs coud be a cracker could be abismal. Wales Vs SA is going to be a torrid affair with the roof open and heavy rain forecast, got to fancy the Taffs (10 starting Lions) at home with an under-strength Bokke team fielding a couple of has beens and debutants.

RequestPidgeons
9th Nov 2013, 20:54
France Vs ABs coud be a cracker could be abismal

First half abysmal, second half a cracker!

;)

Looking forward to Twickers!

Rush2112
10th Nov 2013, 03:45
Couple of big ones this weekend, France Vs ABs coud be a cracker could be abismal. Wales Vs SA is going to be a torrid affair with the roof open and heavy rain forecast, got to fancy the Taffs (10 starting Lions) at home with an under-strength Bokke team fielding a couple of has beens and debutants.

They may have had 10 starting Lions, but they still cannot do the SH heavyweights. I think they will be lucky to get one win, Tonga are the only team that would be worried about facing them.

RequestPidgeons
10th Nov 2013, 04:44
I see the Bismark forearm to the 'fore' again.
How many times this season, just in tests?

Three, I think!

Cacophonix
10th Nov 2013, 04:47
Go South Africa... heh hah... ;)

Caco

haughtney1
10th Nov 2013, 05:53
AB's V France

The French turned up, the AB's didn't

Nonu fell off tackles, took poor options.
Dagg, missing his usual zip, poor options
The AB front row....barely competed..
The AB second row, good at line out time, very good on defense, poor at the breakdown
McCaw...sublime and destructive in the tackle
Reid, dynamic,but went missing at times
Messam, his usual hard nose approach..

Tactically inept in the first half, waaaaay to lateral, trying to play too much rugby on an abysmal surface. Second half farmore direct which yielded results wider out, but then I got the sense they were happy then to hold the french out.

France 1-23, the best I've seen them play as a unit in 2 years, Sarsefski? dynamic and destructive when he came on...nearly won the game for them.

The AB's privately will be gutted at their performance, Hansen will be demanding more.
England next week could be on the receiving end, but if they can slow down the play, and frustrate at the breakdown, they can live with the AB's, they will lose and lose badly if they aimlessly kick possession away however.

RequestPidgeons
10th Nov 2013, 07:07
I reckon England will bring their running game, just like last year, but ABs will be ready for it this time.

Neither team could get to 'grips' with the Parc today (last night); when both teams started running and avoided static play, it got better.

17 Nov:
England v ABs was a bit ugly, too many penalties. Sorry chaps.

Dak Man
21st Nov 2013, 17:02
Wales Vs Aus, win a hospitality suite for 8.

Wales: Win a Hospitality Box for 8 people at Wales v Australia | Live Rugby News | ESPN Scrum (http://www.espnscrum.com/wales/rugby/story/206709.html)

The answer is obviously Kurtley Beale, I'll never forget the pain he inflicted with his last gasp try, betaing us by 2 in the process 12 - 14......

Good luck egg chasers.

Dak Man
24th Nov 2013, 13:16
What a start by Ireland, as good as I've ever seen them. :ok:

Dak Man
24th Nov 2013, 13:26
The perfect season appears to be falling apart.

Dak Man
24th Nov 2013, 14:54
How sad for Ireland, great performance though and well done ABs on the perfect season won in injury time, sign of a class side.

superq7
24th Nov 2013, 14:55
Dak
What a shame for Ireland, superb game though :D

reynoldsno1
24th Nov 2013, 22:35
Indeed - sometimes rugby games are 82 minutes long ....

Cacophonix
24th Nov 2013, 22:47
I am going to punch a New Zealander....;)

Caco

charliegolf
25th Nov 2013, 07:11
Having a ref who is not in awe of the ABs closes the gap somewhat, I think. But the buggers really do not know when to lie down! You have to give them that.

CG

RequestPidgeons
25th Nov 2013, 09:10
Yep, I rate Nigel Owens #1 for his refereeing, both here and at Loftus.
An "on the edge of your seat" game from this end of the world.
Fitness and the luck of the kickers were the key ingredients in the end, I believe.

:D to both teams!

Dak Man
30th Nov 2013, 11:53
Last one today (until 6 Nations in a few weeks :E) I hope that the Taffs can get that Aussie monkey of their backs today. Aussie coming out of the Deans hangover and starting to show some form, Wales with 11 winning Lions on the park, if they can hold up in midfield without Roberts and Davies then I fancy them to do it - we live in hope.

superq7
30th Nov 2013, 17:57
Dak I thought they might win it in the final 10 what a shame, bl**dy Ozzies :(

Rush2112
1st Dec 2013, 00:37
Have only had chance to scan the report - it was a 1am ko here - but it seems that even with 11 winning Lions, they still cannot get it across the finishing line. Sydney must have been about the 5 finishing Englishmen :p