PDA

View Full Version : Are you mongrel...?

Cacophonix
1st Nov 2013, 00:42
Being a Saffer I am...

On my Mom's side I have a Russian Jewish Granddad, and an Irish Catholic Grandmother.

On my Dad's side I have a Norwegian Granddad and a German Grandmother...

Englanders...

Deutschland Łber alles - German Anthem - YouTube

Work with you immigrants...

Caco

reynoldsno1
1st Nov 2013, 00:53
One of my maternal great grandfathers was Irish, the other was Scottish and married a Welsh lady. Another maternal great grandmother was Irish. On my father's side, the ancestors hailed from West Dorset ... the current family line now has US, Thai, American & German heritage mixed in. r1jr has 3 official nationalities, and is now living in Oz with her Ozzie partner...

Woof

500N
1st Nov 2013, 00:59
Grand parents Scottish on one side, English on the other.

From the English side, the 3 kids ended up in
Canada
South Africa then came to Aus
Australia

with one kid from the Canada family in NZ !

er340790
1st Nov 2013, 02:57
I think we all are, aren't we, if we go far enough back... :ugh:

Interesting here in northern Canada. My neighbours are First Nation and Finnish. Genetically, those 2 sides of the human family separated tens of thousands of years ago - one heading east across Asia, the other up through Europe and over to N.America relatively recently... they have now met up again!

They ought to be able to show a composite sketch of a typical human a thousand years from now if we continue to mix. Probably looks like Brazilians.. oo-err. :O

treadigraph
1st Nov 2013, 08:12
Dad half Welsh, half Brummie, sorry, West Midlander...

Mum, born in Eton to a Coldstream Guardsman whose paternal lineage very likely goes back to Germanic Jew in the 18th or 19th Century.

Me born in Cornwall and proud of it!

goudie
1st Nov 2013, 08:26
My father descended from Dutch immigrants, who settled in East Anglia in the 18th century. My mother from Irish immigrants, in the 19th century.

My father used to say everyone had some Irish and Jewish in them!

tony draper
1st Nov 2013, 09:25
Ha! none of these claims for exotic ancestry will do you any good when we start measuring the shape of your heads again :rolleyes:,:=

bcgallacher
1st Nov 2013, 09:30
My son and daughter are 1/4 Scots,1/4 Irish,1/4 Filipino and 1/4 Chinese - gives a good looking mix!

Lon More
1st Nov 2013, 09:47
I remember different words Caco.

Life presents a dismal picture,
Dark and dreary as the tomb,
Fatherís got urethral stricture,
Motherís got a prolapsed womb.
Uncle James has been deported
For a homosexual crime,
Nell, our maid, has just aborted
For the forty-second time.

... and it goes downhill from there.

On Dad's side, a Fifer with a bit of Scandinavian mixed in. On Mum's side Huguenot via Manchester and Lincolnshire

tony draper
1st Nov 2013, 09:52
The Drapers are Cloggy Scots Yorkshire Irish Vikings.:uhoh:

Ancient Mariner
1st Nov 2013, 10:03
Seems like us Norskie Vikings and sailors have been around some.
My uncle tried to look into our family tree and found a jungle. Two generations back and he gave up, it was my kid, your kid, their kid, our kid and who the hell's kid is that. One aunt wasn't and her daughter wasn't either.
On the up side my uncle, and hence my father found a new sister. One would have thought that their father, my grand father was the guilty party, but no. My grandmother was. :cool:
All this happened of course North of the Moral Circle and in those days men were lost at sea and children were divided amongs friends and family to lessen the burden on the widow. Makes for interesting ancestry.
Per

tony draper
1st Nov 2013, 11:13
Tiz possible for a fee to have your DNA analyzed these days,shows your ancestry beyond doubt,one suspects when that brown envelope drops through the letter box many are ripped up and burned shortly thereafter.
:E
One can even have one's Dog DNA tested these days.bit of a buggah when you find your 3000 quid Saluki turns out to be 25% Jack Russell.
:rolleyes:

Fliegenmong
1st Nov 2013, 11:25
Woke up this morning alongside Mrs Fliegs with half a Mongel.....:}

Does that count? :cool:

tony draper
1st Nov 2013, 11:28
Bah! I'll see your Scottish Aristocrat and raise you a Pirate.:E
Hi diddle dum dee!!
The Band of Brothers - Making Folk Music Fun!! - Songs/Lyrics (http://www.thebandofbrothers.net/music-50.html)

Limeygal
1st Nov 2013, 12:51
Father Irish, mother Scots/English. :ok:

El Grifo
1st Nov 2013, 13:19
Lotta Jockerry present here I note !!

Good company :ok:

Slainte !!

Lon More
1st Nov 2013, 14:11
My uncle tried to look into our family tree
I did that too and found most of them were still living up it.
I'm the fruit of a love relationship between a married senior member of the Scottish aristocracy and a beautiful visiting lady.
You. and most of the English royal family, who must be the biggest pack of mongrels in the land

con-pilot
1st Nov 2013, 15:27
Who? Me?

Naw, unless you count my father's side of the family, French, Scottish/English.

Or my mother's side, German, English and American Indian.

So in other words, a real American. :p

ChrisVJ
1st Nov 2013, 15:59
Father's side, grandfather of Hugenot descent via E end of London, Whitstable and Egypt, grandmother was Italian. Mother's side, Grandfather from Devon, grandmother from London.

Octopussy2
1st Nov 2013, 16:05
Without any specific knowledge (I should do a bit of research sometime), I think I'm predominantly Potteries with a bit of Welsh.

Oh the glamour!:8

D'pirate
1st Nov 2013, 16:21
Conchy Joe/Scots/Inuit :uhoh:

airship
1st Nov 2013, 16:27
My own descendents came "out of Africa" together with most of your own descendents 50 thousand or so years ago most probably...?!

Unless that is, my own descendents arrived anywhere in Europe, Asia etc. and well before your own... :} However, I believe that might indeed be the case. Which may explain why airship (usually alone here in coming to their defence) has a special empathy for peoples, so-called illegal immigrants, animals and stray cats...

My own lineage is easily as long as your own, considering I'm alive today...?! Please do remind QE II of same, next time you get to speak together... ;) :rolleyes:

muppetofthenorth
1st Nov 2013, 16:53
We don't know enough of the specifics, but I am, in lineage, Lithuanian (about 2 generations back) on one side and possibly Danish on the other (though a lot further back, possibly 6+ generations back).

All that matters now, though, is I'm Yorkshire. :ok:

redsnail
1st Nov 2013, 16:54
Fleigs :ok: I understood what you meant. :E

Lon, great answer re tree. ;)

Dad's side. Scottish, probably Irish if you go back far enough. I think my Grandma was from Liverpool, so that's scouse too.

Mum's side. English, possibly a bit of French and some Kiwi (which is probably English or more likely Scottish...) But we tend not to talk about the Kiwi bit.

goudie
1st Nov 2013, 17:09
Con-pilot wrote
father's side of the family, French, Scottish/English.

Or my mother's side, German, English and American Indian.

So in other words, a real American. http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/tongue.gif
What no Jewish, Con?;)

Solid Rust Twotter
1st Nov 2013, 18:30
Porridge wog, bog trotter, Manc, grumpy Dutchman and boxhead.

Sixth generation Saffer though so not much left culturally, although I do get the urge to jump the fence and carve up the neighbours with a BFO sword when I hear the pipes. Some ancestral stuff runs down to the bone...

pigboat
1st Nov 2013, 19:24
Father's side English (Kent - Dorset) and Scottish.

Mother's side Welsh, English, Innu.

bit of a buggah when you find your 3000 quid Saluki turns out to be 25% Jack Russell.

Not a bit surprised. The hound next door is a 50 - 50 Doberman/Jack Russell.

unstable load
9th Nov 2013, 08:24
Dad's side is Irish & English, Mom's is Welsh & Dutch/Huguenot
3rd Gen Saffer and like SRT, the pipes stir up the mud at the bottom of the gene pool.....