PDA

View Full Version : Low and slow over Aviemore

morton
31st Oct 2013, 17:52
Wednesday 30th about 11:45 and coming south on the A95 near Boat of Garten I saw an aircraft which looked to be following the A9. It looked similar to an Auster but with the leading edges cut back at the roots (for better forward and upward visibility?). The wind was a bit blustery and he was being bounced all over the place. He was also going very low and slow, as in I was travelling at 50/55mph and overtaking him as he headed to and over Aviemore. Anyone else see it or know the type or what this silvery grey aircraft was doing? Just curious.
Sorry to be vague as to the description but (a) I was driving and (b) I am not familiar with Aircraft that are slower than my car!

mad_jock
31st Oct 2013, 19:18
Sounds like a certain 747's Captains Starduster.

The winds can be quite strong in that area and yes very bouncy and it don't go very fast anyway.

So even if its cruising speed was 90-100mph with a 50mph head wind you will be able to catch it.

morton
1st Nov 2013, 09:55
No, it was a monoplane. From Google the best I could find was something like a DH80 but not looking as robust. However, as I said, I was driving at the time and could only snatch glimpses at it. Thanks anyway.

englishkev
1st Nov 2013, 11:37
Might have been the Wilga that is used for glider towing at Aviemore