PDA

View Full Version : Landing nose high

antiguogrumete
31st Oct 2013, 10:20
This 737-8AS from Ryanair (Dreamliner livery) EI-DCL maintains high the nose quite a while, once it touches the ground.

1wDh-CZfB7Y

defizr
31st Oct 2013, 10:22
He's pulling a wheelie...

DX Wombat
31st Oct 2013, 10:51
So?
Yet another waste of bandwidth.:mad:

chevvron
31st Oct 2013, 11:23
Wouldn't call that really nose high; have you never seen a Trident landing?

DaveReidUK
31st Oct 2013, 11:45
I loved the bit at the beginning, where you could watch the grass growing alongside the runway ... :ugh:

goudie
31st Oct 2013, 11:50
https://i1.ytimg.com/vi/K4UHTiMJqpM/mqdefault.jpg

Now that's a proper nose wheel high landing.

Hotel Tango
31st Oct 2013, 12:09
Not that I'm a fan of the poster's videos, but in his defence I think he uses some sort of translation feature which distorts his intended meaning. I would assume that he's really commenting on the time it takes for the nosewheel to come down after the initial touchdown. Not all that unusual in certain circumstances but it gives him an excuse to post his video :)

5711N0205W
31st Oct 2013, 12:41
Spotters forum, spotter type videos? I don't get the aggravation and hostility sometimes in this particular sub forum :ugh:

FantomZorbin
31st Oct 2013, 13:37
A Vulcan using aerodynamic braking was quite nose-up :)

blind pew
31st Oct 2013, 15:10
Anti in the old days when pilots could fly the nose wheel was kept flying if you were clearing at the end of the runway and there was no problem with runway occupancy....aerodynamic braking reduces brake wear.

Intruder
31st Oct 2013, 22:11
That was true in the old days...

In modern days with modern airliners with modern systems, aerodynamic braking is generally frowned upon, and often counterproductive. Carbon brakes do not wear with hard use like steel brakes did in the old days. Engine reversers are effective and don't cause excessive engine wear like on the prop planes in the old days. Spoilers dump lift because excessive lift is NOT desired on rollout with high-performance wings. Nosewheel steering is used to control yaw at low airspeeds because the rudder becomes ineffective below 60-80 knots, and engine response is insufficient to "steer" with the engines.

Where aero braking was once used, simply use idle reverse and normal rollout procedures in a modern airplane.

blind pew
1st Nov 2013, 07:07
My last reply was a bit of tounge in cheek humour...it's just about having a bit of fun because one can.:ok:

Wirbelsturm
1st Nov 2013, 19:38
Where aero braking was once used, simply use idle reverse and normal rollout procedures in a modern airplane.

Naaah, my Triple comes down luvvverly with aerodynamic braking to 60 kts with full reverse and then slamming the nose wheel into the deck to jolt first class as the elevator runs out of lift. :E:}:}:}:}

Actually, the younger 'guys' do tend to let the lift dumpers and reversers slam the nose wheel into the runway. A gentle bit of 'flying' the nose wheel onto the runway often gives the G&T's in First a lighter touchdown.

Toodle pip.

:)