PDA

View Full Version : New Technology for Old Horses

GregP
31st Oct 2013, 05:12
I'm just returning to outback flying. I have a number of flight plans/notifications and weather/Notam product codes in the AAirservices data bank but, of course, i really need a device to use in places away from home with which to acess my saved AA material/weather/Notams. [The mobile phone's a pain for that purpose!]

Accordingly, what do peopele recommend i look at: iPad, Smart phone, Tablet, whatever, wharever?

As for in-flight material, i'm perfcectly happy with my Jepps (paper) charts and plates so elctronic repalcements for that material doesn't interest me.

Cheers

peterc005
31st Oct 2013, 12:11
Wait a couple of weeks and get the new Apple iPad Mini Retina - make sure you get the version with the 3G/cellular option (about $600-$700).

Maybe buy a booster battery pack for extra power if there is no way to charge the iPad in the plane and you take long flights (maybe $30).

Get a Telstra pre-paid mini SIM card with a good allowance for internet data. (say $30 a month)

In the Apple Apps store get Ozrunways ($99 bucks a year for AirServices subscription) and NAIPS. (Avplan and AirNav Pro are other good alternatives).

Then you're set.

GregP
1st Nov 2013, 04:45
Very many thanks for that ... sounds like a comprehensive suite indeed!

Cheers, Greg.
;)