PDA

View Full Version : Chicken anyone??

Dan_Brown
30th Oct 2013, 12:44
Anyone for chicken?

BBC News - 'Deplorably dirty' Bristol meat supplier avoids jail (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-24733189)

They were right not to send him to jail as you will never change "them". It's in the genes.

On the odd occasion I visit a big chicken outlet, franchise I first check the toilets before I proceed. If the toilet is dirty I know the food preparation area will be dirty. I reject about half I visit.

500N
30th Oct 2013, 12:49
Always loved chicken. But many many years ago in the UK, our family decided on the way home from somewhere to get the new KFC as opposed to Fish and Chips.

We all came down with severe food poisoning, everyone spent the night
throwing up.

It took until my GF's kids wanted KFC for me to try it again 3 years ago
and I still rarely get takeway chicken.

That's about 40 years !!!

Am pretty sure that the rest of my family did similar.

Capetonian
30th Oct 2013, 12:59
A friend of mine was a public health inspector for the London Borough of Camden, which include some pretty well heeled areas (and some bad ones too!). Some of the stories he told were verging on unbelievable. He took me out with him one day on some restaurant inspections. I lost my appetite for three days and it was a long time after that before I plucked up the courage to eat in restaurants again.

Dak Man
30th Oct 2013, 13:10
I too have been poisoned by KFC - avoid it like the pague.

cattletruck
30th Oct 2013, 13:13
Tastes good but :yuk:

All fast food is designed for the sellers maximum profit so don't assume anything about its preperation and the tricks used to make it appealling. Shops around the tourist traps can be some of the worst offenders.

Nonetheless, you should be eating as little processed food as possible in order to maintain a healthy diet.

Blacksheep
30th Oct 2013, 13:15
Mrs. BS used to manage the KFC outlet in Ruislip. It is located directly opposite the head office of the local Public Health Inspectors' office. He came in a couple of times a week to buy his lunch.

Mrs. BS is very particular about her kitchen and the mantra is "Clean As You Go!"

OFSO
30th Oct 2013, 13:29
Diverting this thread into a question relevant for those of us hapless males who cook food at home while our beloveds (or even our wives) are away frolicking somewhere.

All chicken should be well heated to kill the wicked stomach-provoking bacteria, I know this. But in addition to grilling the food, I often subject it also to a quick blast in the microwave which heats it still further.

Do the microwaves kill bacteria as well as the heat, or is it only the heat ?

P.S. I used to eat at an Indian restaurant we called The Khyber Pass in Leicester. It had the filthiest kitchens imaginable next to the toilets, or possibly they were the toilets. However I never got sick after eating there. Was it the spices, as we used to say ?

Bushfiva
30th Oct 2013, 13:32
Temperature only.

cattletruck
30th Oct 2013, 13:33
OFSO, I was told that you only need to heat water to 90 degrees celcius to kill all the bacteria, and it happens instantly. I guess the same will work on your giblets.

500N
30th Oct 2013, 13:40
OFSO

No, luck.

I also give things a blast in the Microwave.

Capetonian
30th Oct 2013, 13:54
I used to eat at an Indian restaurant in Bradford, on Great Horton Road, it was called the Shimla, aka Shitla. It was the cheapest and filthiest place you could imagine but in those days I was on very tight budget .... never got sick though.

500N
30th Oct 2013, 14:05
I think "getting sick" has a lot to do with how you are brought up.

Those who play outside in the dirt and were exposed to all sorts of things
tend to get less sick than those who were kept as mummy's boys.

Just my HO.

ExXB
30th Oct 2013, 14:16
We have roasted chicken a few times a month. I use a roasting bag and cook it at 180C for 1 1/2 hours. Chuck in some new potatoes, onion and carrots. Leftovers go into a 'chicken pie'.

It does help that chickens here are free of salmonella.

Dak Man
30th Oct 2013, 14:28
I'm a child of the dirt and fresh air and I've lived in some of the most deprived/rotten/shit filled/disease ridden places you can imagine and not suffered any food related ills therein, hence I consider myself as quite robust (I also survived cerebral malaria FFS) but as mentioned KFC has waylaid me to a point where I thought I was about to shuffle off, the prep can be as good as it gets but if the basic ingredient is rotten or not fit for human consumption then no amount of "normal" prep is going to kill all the pathogens.

500N
30th Oct 2013, 14:36
Like you, I was brought up in the dirt and god knows what else.
Bird catching (ornithology) exposed me to a heap of things which
probably helped.

Apart from that early KFC incident when I was probably 8,
I have never really got that sick except once at a gun show
here in Aus, came down with the most severe case of food
poisoning from Chips. Everyone said I looked like death
warmed up. The worst thing was, I had to fly to Darwin the
next day on a hunting trip so after a night of dry reaching, off I went :O

Funnily enough, a mate who fed me 3 week old Pizza,
microwaved could not believe I ate it and had no adverse
affects what so ever. He thought I'd cark it !!!

Dan_Brown
30th Oct 2013, 15:50
Yes I have spend 10 years or more, grovelling around in the dirt etc., in North Africa. It is true we build up a resistance but it does wear off after a prolonged period in a "sterile environment".

I have also had "Delhi Belly" after eating at places where I shouldn't have got it. one e.g., Geneva MD's. Finished up with the worst case of high EGT and low EPR., I have ever had.

500N
30th Oct 2013, 15:54
I'm lucky in going hunting I tend to get continued exposure.

The one thing that scares me shyteless is picking up some bug or desease
from the animals (as in digging around inside of them, guts etc).

Haven't picked up anything yet but I don't think your "natural strong resistance"
will help with these.

MadsDad
30th Oct 2013, 15:58
Those who play outside in the dirt and were exposed to all sorts of things
tend to get less sick than those who were kept as mummy's boys.

But I was a "mummy's little darling" ~(only child, until I was 12 years old anyway) but also played outside in the dirt (local playgrounds were either the pit tips or the sidings yard; still not sure how we all survived but we did).

So, anyway, given both sets of circumstance, should I get sick or not? (FYI I do seem to survive remarkably well; I even eat, and rarely get sick from, my own cooking).

Dan_Brown
30th Oct 2013, 16:01
500n

...or the Hongkong dong. Best to leave it in your trousers.

LetsFlyAway
30th Oct 2013, 16:05
Well that didn't take long to go off on a tangent and start ruining reputations... The article never mentioned KFC yet everyone has resurrected their KFC issues.

500N
30th Oct 2013, 16:05
MadsDad

"mummy's little darling" and "mummy's boys" are two different things :O

We were all mummies little darlings !!!
(Although I think I tested my mum's thoughts on this one
more than once :O)

wings folded
30th Oct 2013, 16:35
Well that didn't take long to go off on a tangent and start ruining reputations... The article never mentioned KFC yet everyone has resurrected their KFC issues.

Could one suppose that the reason is because they have some issues?

Such as being digestively upset by their products?

500N
30th Oct 2013, 16:43
LetsFlyAway

As Wings folded said.
Do you think it has anything to do with cooking the food
and then leaving it on hot plates for quite a while ????
A breeding ground if ever I saw one.

And apart from KFC, I have probably eaten most fast hot food
in quite a few countries and the only one I have been sick from
is KFC !!! (Except the hot chips :O)

Anyway, threads are supposed to go off on a tangent :O

wings folded
30th Oct 2013, 16:53
Aside a very specific allergy problem with a certain variety of foodstuff, I have a pretty robust digestive system (I was found eating cow shit in my aunt's farmyard, once. No ill effects)

I have fallen ill twice from food related poisoning:

Once from Kan't Fcuking Consume, and once from May also Cause Damage.

Dak Man
30th Oct 2013, 16:59
If the cap fits.......

con-pilot
30th Oct 2013, 17:38
Been lucky, never have had problems eating anything no matter where I have been.

On one trip everybody on the flight got food poisoning, except me. All I got was an upset stomach that Alka-Seltzer fixed.

Oh, except for an accidental oral intake of Brussels sprouts. Then only copious amounts of Scotch can prevent my immediate demise. :p

wings folded
30th Oct 2013, 17:49
con, can't quite see how you could accidentally ingest belgian sprouts. They are pretty distinctive.

The preventative whisky sounds like a good scheme, however.

radeng
30th Oct 2013, 17:54
Only once in my 66 years have I had KFC. No problems at all.

I do prefer Hooters....

Solid Rust Twotter
30th Oct 2013, 18:40
Guts here are pretty bullet proof.

I may get the runs a couple of times a year, but it goes away in a day or two. I drink from taps all over Africa and have probably eaten more eyeballs and fried goat testicles than any ten of you buggers combined. I get the idea that my intestinal flora are bullies and will drag any interlopers around the back of the large intestine and give them a good kicking.:}

rgbrock1
30th Oct 2013, 18:49
I'm not sure I understand the shock exhibited by those who have been poisoned by KFC. Everyone knows, here in the U.S. anyway, that KFC does not use chicken for their, well, chicken.

If you did a census of the rat population around a local KFC you would find the count of said rats rather lacking. If there are any left at all. :}

Dak Man
30th Oct 2013, 18:52
KFC is the only white meat I've ever eaten that doesn't taste like chicken.....

BenThere
30th Oct 2013, 19:01
Actually you're most likely safer eating from a global fast food joint, where the corporate image demands rigidly imposed standards as a condition of holding the franchise, than any private, family owned and operated restaurant, where the survival and profitability of the enterprise and lack of any oversight from above might allow for corner-cutting and relaxed hygiene.

I'm the last person to extol the culinary qualities of McDonalds or KFC, but I've never been sickened at either, and I have a pretty good expectation when I order from those limited menus of what I'm going to get.

I actually owe a debt of gratitude to those fast food operators who provide sustenance for me when I get to the hotel at 10 PM and there they are, across the street, standing ready to immediately sell me a warm meal at a reasonable price that will get me through the night free of the pangs of hunger.

wings folded
30th Oct 2013, 20:14
where the corporate image demands rigidly imposed standards as a condition of holding the franchise, than any private, family owned and operated restaurant

You have not eaten in many family run restaurants in Italy or France, then?

"corporate image" demands a certain turnover as a rule. Quality is not even a consideration.

Better hunger pangs than a week of the shits, but if you are happy, then why not?

500N
30th Oct 2013, 20:25
BenThere

"I actually owe a debt of gratitude to those fast food operators who provide sustenance for me when I get to the hotel at 10 PM and there they are, across the street, standing ready to immediately sell me a warm meal at a reasonable price that will get me through the night free of the pangs of hunger."

+ 100

We are blessed in Aus being such a Multicultural society that apart from the fast food, KFC, Red Rooster, McD, Hungy Jacks, we have always had Pizza, Chinese, Fish and Chips, Souvlaki, Hamburgers and then the proliferation of lesser things like Dim Sims (yuk) and that level of FF.

But when you are cold, tired and wet, almost anything goes !!!

ShyTorque
30th Oct 2013, 21:15
The most gut wrenching of food poisoning episodes I suffered hit me as I was walking out to an aircraft with a student pilot on an RAF station, during a summer detachment in South Wales. It literally floored me. I had eaten tandoori chicken for lunch that day.

After a while, when I recovered enough to walk, I reported to the medical centre and found a colleague there also suffering from the same problem. He had also eaten the tandoori chicken. Samples were taken, tests were done. On returning to my home station the station medical officer told me I had obviously eaten some very dirty chicken indeed because I was suffering from a whole selection of nasties including more than one kind of salmonella and a form of botulism. He told me to be far more careful where I ate in future and asked me where I thought I might have picked the bugs up from. I told him I had eaten only at the Officers' Mess during the previous week. :yuk:

con-pilot
31st Oct 2013, 16:04
con, can't quite see how you could accidentally ingest belgian sprouts. They are pretty distinctive.

Sometimes the sneaky little devils are in disguise, covered in sauces and the such. :suspect:

Dak Man
31st Oct 2013, 16:15
I thought that it might have been in a Brussles Pâté CP..........

radeng
31st Oct 2013, 17:10
ST

Did you get any response from the MO?