View Full Version : Silk air jobs and transition to the B737

A319rider
30th Oct 2013, 08:06
Hello everyone,

I've been wondering if silkair is currently looking for pilots and what are they actually looking for? Still need A320 drivers or have already moved to recruiting B737 people?
Any inside I the job there is appreciated.
Thanks to all.

wonderland
30th Oct 2013, 08:19
Not a good time, they took in a bunch of guys from their flight training institute (SFC) a while back, plus a whole bunch of cadets supposed to go into SQ/cargo got earmarked now for Silkair (MI).

And I highly doubt they'll go back to the 737 fleet any time soon, their fleet now is predominantly A319 or A320s.

shampers
30th Oct 2013, 08:38
Hi guys,
It appears they are looking for capts but not first officers due to the excess of guys coming from mainline. With regards to the fleets, it's mainly local Singaporeans going on the 737 first and then seniority, age and so on. Majority of foreign pilots will stay on the airbus until the full transition to Boeing happens. A number of pilots have resigned in the last month or so due to different reasons, some lifestyle, others wanting to move onto a larger aircraft etc. hope this helps

A319rider
30th Oct 2013, 09:00
Sorry I wasn't more specific, I'm a captain on the bus and I'm considering a move to Singapore and silkair looks like a good option there. Any info on the pay, roster or general info on the company is obviously welcome.

Proline21
30th Oct 2013, 20:59
Captain on Airbus and Singapore sounds like Tiger Air might be better. Also consider Jetstar Asia, as well as Jetstar Hong Kong and Hong Kong Airlines (A320) if Hong Kong is an option for you too!?

A319rider
30th Oct 2013, 21:35
Any reason why Tiger is a better option? Is lifestyle there better?

A319rider
30th Oct 2013, 21:56
Anyone currently working in Singapore care to share the experience? Which of the carriers is a better option? Why would that be?
Can people working at Silkair, Tiger and Jetstar share the good and bad things about each company?
Thanks in advance.

WYOMINGPILOT
30th Oct 2013, 23:49
Will there be a requirement for an initial group of 737 Captains and TRI Instructors to help them with the transistion? With a current fleet of 22 aircraft and growing to 56 aircraft surely this is a huge growth opportunity for the airline so they will eventually need pilots on the 737. Are the schedules mainly Singapore turns or do you have any layovers and how many per month on average?

N5748E
30th Oct 2013, 23:55
All silkair flights are turn arounds, only know jetstar Asia has layovers in Osaka, hangzhou and Perth.

Tiger seems to have the best pay package/ lifestyle at the moment as everyone seems to be leaving the above mentioned airlines for them.

shampers
31st Oct 2013, 02:50
Hi guys,
As mentioned already. Singaporeans will go on 737 first then seniority then foreigners. That is the way the system operates in Singapore irrelevant of experience. The majority of guys going on the 737 have no prior boeing experience. There is no negotiation with regards to anyone joining directly as a trainer etc. The system us based as mentioned above. If anyone joins, they will be on the airbus even if they have 737 experience. This will be the route until the airbus is gone. SilkAir is a nice company but expect to work at least 950 plus per year. The roster is a little tight, don't expect a tiger lifestyle roster. This is not a criticism of SilkAir, expect lately a roster of 5 on 1 off 4 on followed by a night flight and 2 days off. The atmosphere is nice in the company but don't come for lifestyle. Some guys have left due to change in lifestyle and fleet. The ops guys try and help as much as they can. They are very approachable. It all depends on personal preference. Don't come to Singapore expecting to save money if you want a car and a nice house. It's not gonna happen. Between schools, bills and cars, kids, you will be lucky to break even. If you come and put kids in local school, public transport etc. it can be good. Think long and hard.

Mark_SG
31st Oct 2013, 04:54
N5748E, I'm quite surprised to hear that! I'd have expected Silk to be a better place to work at than a LCC.

A319rider
31st Oct 2013, 05:16
Any idea until when will they still have airbus? Is there an option to join SQ in the future?

wonderland
31st Oct 2013, 05:31
No option what so ever. SQ has always had this mentality, even when they did Scoot, they told the pilots in main fleet, etc. if they wanted to apply, they'd have to quit first, there was no such thing as transferring over.

A319rider
31st Oct 2013, 08:26
Thanks wonderland, it's a shame actually but understandable.

etops777
2nd Nov 2013, 01:17
Wrong info posted about Silk pilots leaving for Tiger or
Jetstar Asia. In fact, it's the other way around. Tiger may have a
better rostering with blocks of days off but lacks in benefits compared to MI.

As for the 737 transition..it's not the locals first but rather
on the 70/30 percent splits and in seniority. No hiring onto
737 in the first 2 years of operation.

A319rider
2nd Nov 2013, 03:33
Hi Etops thanks for the reply. For me I'm not looking to go on the 737 so I'd be more than happy to stay on the bus.
What are the benefits that set silkair apart from tiger and jetstar? That I'm very interested in.

A319rider
2nd Nov 2013, 03:40
By the way, does anyone know what are the minimum requirement for DEC? I'm assuming somewhere around 5000TT and 1500PIC on type?

Stallone
2nd Nov 2013, 23:00
Not a good time, they took in a bunch of guys from their flight training institute (SFC) a while back, plus a whole bunch of cadets supposed to go into SQ/cargo got earmarked now for Silkair (MI).

And I highly doubt they'll go back to the 737 fleet any time soon, their fleet now is predominantly A319 or A320s.

it's appalling that you have been going for interviews lately yet you didn't know SilkAir is having a fleet revamp

wonderland
3rd Nov 2013, 01:52
Or have I? Nothing is what is seems on this forum...

A319rider
4th Nov 2013, 03:59
Well guys I think it would be better if we just keep this post professional and don't get into personal attacks. At the end of the day they don't bring anything to the table.
If anyone has the minimum requirements for DEC I would appreciate it.
Thanks

syfly
17th Dec 2013, 05:42
Hi, anyone here can share the latest info on the basic pay and allowance? Is it still stated like in this website (http://www.pilotjobsnetwork.com/jobs/SilkAir)?

May I know if Silkair provides transport services for the pilots?

Thank you so much!

WYOMINGPILOT
5th Oct 2014, 02:47
Any new updates on 737 Captain hiring yet for Silk Air? I have heard they may start hiring 737 Captains soon as the fleet expands. Any insiders have any new information of what is going on at Silk?

CaptPicard
5th Oct 2014, 03:01
Yeah, agree as above, most of the local captains at Jetstar are moving across to Silk as soon as they get the chance (they are not allowed to move until all the guys from their Airforce batch have upgraded first)

Better pay, by far, 13 month, and good profit share - so I hear, this year was told an extra 3 months pay. Anyone care to substantiate?

bringbackthe80s
25th Mar 2016, 08:39
Hi all, this thread is a little old so I am hoping to get some new info about silk.

I have recently been to the region and must say I love the place. From what I understand the company is looking for airbus 320 direct captains, and it looks like it's expanding. I had a look at ppjn to have an idea about the conditions but haven't worked out how much the monthly net salary would be? And can you have a good lifestyle as a young couple with it?

Last 2 questions, is a change to the 737 inevitabile eventually?
And I read you can transfer as a capt to singapore airlines after some years, is this true?

Thanks ever so much for your time.

etops777
25th Mar 2016, 15:37
Hi all, this thread is a little old so I am hoping to get some new info about silk.

I have recently been to the region and must say I love the place. From what I understand the company is looking for airbus 320 direct captains, and it looks like it's expanding. I had a look at ppjn to have an idea about the conditions but haven't worked out how much the monthly net salary would be? And can you have a good lifestyle as a young couple with it?

Last 2 questions, is a change to the 737 inevitabile eventually?
And I read you can transfer as a capt to singapore airlines after some years, is this true?

Thanks ever so much for your time.

Hi there

Silk air is not hiring any DECs nor FOs. Plenty of FOs waiting to be upgraded plus the staffing level on both fleets are looking good.

bringbackthe80s
29th Mar 2016, 04:16
Ah ok, that's too bad. Thanks for your reply.
I see they have an open application page, I guess you never know what happens in the future and it doesn" t cost anything to upload the CV..

All the best