PDA

View Full Version : More wannabes hired - be encouraged!

Raw Data
26th Feb 2001, 17:19
Just thought I'd let you know that BE hired six more direct-entry jet F/O's yesterday, from eight that came to a couple of days of sim checks. Hopefully the remaining two will get offered turboprop positions (if there are any coming up).

About half the candidates had low hours (one had 198), with one or two over 1000. The overall standard was good (and occasionally excellent).

So you see, there is hope! Be encouraged.

Surprised that none of them appear to have been PPRuNers...

GJB
26th Feb 2001, 17:31
What gets thrown at you in the Sim Ride and what are they looking for / looking out for?

Patsy 001
26th Feb 2001, 19:38
Raw Data

Given that BE had a cadet part sponsorship scheme in 2000, do you think that there is much chance of another sponsorship in 2001?

Thanks for any info you may have

Patsy 001

DeltaT
26th Feb 2001, 20:36
Just a query on this.
Do those low houred pilots have MCC as well as Jet/Efis LOFT?
And yes I know this LOFT thing is supposed to be gone now, but reading the top of the BE application form, it -does- say not to return the application until you have done them both...

Miles High
26th Feb 2001, 20:58
RD

When I last wrote to BE (10/00), they sent me a PFO stating they 'usually recruit at 1000 hours' and that they would consider an updated CV when I had accrued more hours. I have 300.

Have things changed or do you think it more likely that my CV/letter failed to impress in other ways?

Thanks for any help.

MH

Raw Data
26th Feb 2001, 23:00
GJB - We asked candidates to fly a SID (in this case, a Dover 3G out of LHR 27L), followed by radar vectors to the ILS (all in CAVOK conditions). I then repositioned the sim to a 10 mile final for an ILS, but this time in IMC with a cloudbase of 1000'. There were a few questions along the way as well.

We look for good situational/spatial awareness, CRM from both pilots (we had one in each seat where possible), good IF flying and a steady improvement throughout the detail. No-one was given any info on the sim beforehand apart from a very general outline (although some had clearly flown the sim before). Some folk had not flown for some time, it showed and was a major factor in the decisions that were made- people who are not current are a major training risk, and as the folks we hired will be in the sim in three weeks, there would be no time to get current.

We also looked hard at what sort of people they were in the cockpit environment.

Patsy 001 - I have no precise knowledge on that, but my understanding is that sponsorship is here for quite some time.

DeltaT - again I have no precise knowledge as all that stuff was looked at during the initial selection and interview - but I believe everyone had MCC and some might have had LOFT- though not all of them. Maybe you have an old form... I'll check with Mission Control and get back to you.

Miles High - the low-houred guys were all Cabair 509'ers as far as I know. The others all had over 1000 hours and significant experience (ie commercial air taxi and such like).

Hard to know whether your CV fitted the profile without seeing it.

Availability probably had a lot to do with selection as well, as those who were successful yesterday were in groundschool at EXT this morning! Talk about fast!

Jetheat
26th Feb 2001, 23:58
What bases are closest to London for BE?

HomerSimpson
27th Feb 2001, 03:23
There is hope for those with low hours yet then I see. When will anyone pick up my CV? Ive got around 300 hours TTL and 100 multi....Heres to hope!

Homer ;)

------------------
Duff, Duff, that Wonderful stuff. Ummmmm Doughnuts

Miles High
27th Feb 2001, 05:57
Thanks RD, that clears it up. Looks like I'll have to get another 700 hours or so!

I'm in the same boat as you Homer, I'll see you at Moe's for a Duff. Maybe we can get some inspiration from Barney.

MH

Raw Data
27th Feb 2001, 06:27
Jetheat - nearest base to London for BE is London City (ie LCY).

expedite_climb
27th Feb 2001, 14:28
Miles High, and RD,

When I applied to BE in 7/00 I also got the same PFO saying we usually want 1000 hrs.

I thought this was a little odd at the time I had 1900 and MCC.

Never mind !

Vicious Squirrel
27th Feb 2001, 15:08
Hi RD,
I was wonderin if you'd mail me the details of the trident sim at Biggin? I'd like to try and get a bit of time in just for the hell of it (as it's so cheap). I've tried to mail you a couple of times but had no response.

Cheers,
VS

Heavy Landing
27th Feb 2001, 15:34
Raw Data,

do you know whats happening with those of us (10) that were interviewed at the ATP Academy by DD nearly 2 weeks ago? We still havent heard anything yet!

------------------
I'm flaring ! I'm flaring!

DeltaT
27th Feb 2001, 16:12
RD
I receieved my BE app. 2 weeks ago, it will arrive with Don today.

I guess with starting a rating course the very next day after selection you didn't have much choice in terms of who you picked.

[This message has been edited by DeltaT (edited 27 February 2001).]

Raw Data
27th Feb 2001, 17:33
expedite_climb - 7 months is a VERY long time in aviation. Last July, virtually everyone got PFOs, even experienced airline folk- for example a mate of mine, ex fast-jet RAF and an IRE/TRE on the Fokker 100 got one. Since then, we have expanded quite a bit and so the need for more crews. Also, and please don't be offended, if you had the hours and all the required ticks in boxes, it may have beens something else in your application that was responsible... however I would say the most likely explanation is the first one I gave!

Vicious Squirrel- happy to email you details, however you didn't give an email address so I can't. I do vaguely remember you asking a while back, but unfortunately the HDD with my mail on got corrupted during an install of Windows ME a while back. I am slowly recovering data from it. Send me your email and I'll send the info on.

Heavy Landing - no, but I will ask.

DeltaT - we had eight candidates for six positions. As far as I know, we were pretty sure about all of them, particularly the Cabair folk as obviously Cabair have a good idea of who can do what. However, if three or four had not met the standard, we would have grabbed the next three on the list and checked them- and kept doing so until an acceptable standard was achieved. The cost of training people that eventually get chopped is too high to NOT do this.

MAX
27th Feb 2001, 17:49
RAW DATA,

Do you know at all if BE are looking to do any recruiting for crew here on Jersey? I would be very interested to know.

Thanks.

MAX http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/cool.gif

Q Feel
1st Mar 2001, 15:16
Heavy Landing,

Any news yet?
I was also interviewed by Don at the ATP Academy and am still waiting to hear. Its agony, isn't it?

Heavy Landing
1st Mar 2001, 15:33
Q, no news still.

Considering that DD said at the time "expect to hear in a few days - early next week at the latest!", and it is now nearly 2 weeks, it is certainly not good PR by British European.

Still, lets wait and see if RD can shed any light on the situation.

------------------
I'm flaring ! I'm flaring!