PDA

View Full Version : Laptop Time

Kiltrash
29th Oct 2013, 18:41
I had problems accessing mail and sites on the laptop for the past 5 days. before the change from BST to GMT

Then noticed laptop time was 04.30 (wrong) on 26th October 2091!
Corrected and all well,
However daily I get a wrong time and accessing issues
So far also had October 2008, October 2045 and 1st Jan 2001
Corrected and unlinked with Internet time, here's hoping
Any ideas?.....I did a Jave Update and then the problem appeared
If happens again will do a restore
thanks

OFSO
29th Oct 2013, 18:54
Click on clock, >internet, and see if you are on time.windows.com.

Saab Dastard
29th Oct 2013, 18:59
I suggest that you set the internet time source to one of the ntp.org pools - e.g. uk.pool.ntp.org in the UK. Time.windows.com is... errm... not the most reliable time source, putting it kindly.

When Windows boots it first obtains time from the BIOS, so check that is set reasonably accurately, because (depending on configuration), if the offset between system time and ntp source is beyond the allowed value, Windows will ignore the ntp time as being inaccurate. Of course, you can configure this to accept the ntp time whatever the difference, but it's not the default.

Here's a good MS article on the time service: How to configure the Windows Time service against a large time offset (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/884776)

As an aside, if the time setting on a Vista or above PC is wrong, and not set to update from an NTP source, it will prevent Windows Update from functioning.

SD

Loose rivets
29th Oct 2013, 21:36
What an interesting post. Explains a lot. Thanks, Saab.

cattletruck
30th Oct 2013, 14:04
Lots of the modern day security protocols require accurate time to be set for them to work, therefore using an external timeserver like *.ntp.org to set your PC clock is a necessity.

If your laptop is old you may also want to check that the tiny internal battery to keep the BIOS settings remembered is not dead. If it is then the cost of changing it is almost comparable to buying a new cheap laptop.

Kiltrash
31st Oct 2013, 02:36
Many Thanks
Update is that when I shut down at say 19.45 and re start some time later the laptop time re starts at 19.45

It is a Compaq Presario CQ70 about 5 years from new and the CMOS or RTC battery is basically a CR2032 type and has a life of 2-10 years depending on useage etc. Most people wont get this issue as they dont keep the laptop longer than this Battery life?

So not unreasonably it is a dead battery I Think

I can get one through e-bay for £11 from London or £5 from USofA so have orderred from London, nothing against USofA!!

Seems to be 2 screws on the hard drive cover, battery out and in and hey presto (hopefully)

jimtherev
31st Oct 2013, 09:33
I can get one through e-bay for £11 from London
I hope that's for 10-off!
Even Maplin sell one for under four quid, & you should be able to do much better than that.

cattletruck
31st Oct 2013, 10:45
Sometimes they weld those batteries to their connectors. If that's the case you have to use a bit of ingenuity to get them out. The weld is imposible to break so you can either cut the connector, or do as I do - grab a pair of pliers and carefully squeeze that CR2032 along the sides and you will see the battery pop apart into its relevant pieces. Now you can trim the "new" connectors made up of the old battery case to accomodate the new battery.

£11 is a bit steep for a CR2032.

Saab Dastard
31st Oct 2013, 12:22
It would appear to be the complete 3-pin to battery connector unit (not just a CR2032 battery) that's costing so much. Having said that, £11 is still a bit steep!

I feel sure that the CR2032 battery itself could be removed and replaced from the unit, even if it necessitated removing the shrink-insulation and binding it up with insulation tape.

SD

Kiltrash
2nd Nov 2013, 21:26
Sorted

Solution ws a new CR2032, remove the sleeve, and got 0.67v on old battery

Quickly cut the wires and taped up to new battery, insulated and poped back in £2.99 all up!!

Works a treat

Thanks all