PDA

View Full Version : Street Lights

tony draper
29th Oct 2013, 17:17
They have swapped all the old Sodium Vapor street lights over to those LED things,bloody pathetic they are, the place looks darker than it did just after the war lit by gas light, my street is dark and dingey with widely spaced pools of light where the street lights are,
Apparently people like Taxi Driver and Delivery Men are up in arms about it as they can no longer read house numbers,
Fair enough for those with a interest in Astronomy the skies are much darker now and life must be much more difficult for those RAF chaps when they cant see the railway lines to find their way about the place.
:rolleyes:

Airborne Aircrew
29th Oct 2013, 18:26
In Wisconsin they went all green with the traffic lights and caused hundreds of accidents. You see Wisconsin is cold in winter and they get lots of snow and ice storms. The good old fashioned traffic lights kept the pretty coloured glass warm so snow and ice couldn't accumulate. Unfortunately, the LED's they started using generate negligible heat and the lights accumulate snow and ice until they disappear... Not fun approaching a junction and being unaware of it... :eek:

Capetonian
29th Oct 2013, 18:33
Our street used to be unlit, which was part of its appeal. It is in a rural area, quiet, and there is no real security concern. About 3 years ago they put in cheap nasty lighting which constantly changes intensity, some of the lights flicker constantly, and it has little benefit and is really just a source of light pollution.

ZOOKER
29th Oct 2013, 18:40
Come to Cheshire.
All over the county's trunk road network are little yellow signs which proudly proclaim....."Street lighting not in use".

The Flying Pram
29th Oct 2013, 19:20
"All over the county's trunk road network are little yellow signs which proudly proclaim....."Street lighting not in use""But can you see/read those signs at night?

Ken Borough
30th Oct 2013, 00:18
Come to Oz to see what street lighting's all about! In my street and the local shopping area (it could not, by any stretch of the imagination, be called 'the High Street'), you'll find sodium vapour, mercury vapour, fluoro tubes, incandescent bulbs, LED traffic lights, incandescent traffic lights et al. The only things missing are gas lights and candles. The area would be perfect for researchers. That is, those wanting to know not what to do! Our local authorities are populated by mental pygmies.:ugh::ugh:

500N
30th Oct 2013, 00:25
Ken

That is because Australia can't seem to standardise on anything, always wanting the "next best thing at the lowest price" and always wanting to put in an "Aussie Modification", even though it is not really needed.

The old 80% will do handsomely but we always chase 100% when that last 20% is generally pie in the sky stuff that is not really required, just a nice to have.

Military purchases are a good example.

Just my HO.

Metro man
30th Oct 2013, 05:12
That is because Australia can't seem to standardise on anything

Also decided to use different railway gauges throughout the country. You can't travel directly from Brisbane to Sydney without a change of rolling gear at the Queensland/New South Wales border.:ugh:

Ken Borough
30th Oct 2013, 06:21
You can't travel directly from Brisbane to Sydney without a change of rolling gear at the Queensland/New South Wales border.

Don't know where yer from MetroMan but there's been a through train between Sydney and Brisbane (standard gauge) since at least 1950, and probably many more years prior to then.

Captain Dart
30th Oct 2013, 06:36
Australia didn't 'decide' to have different gauges. The country wasn't even 'Australia' when railways were introduced, it was a collection of 'colonies' which became the future states, and each did its own thing.

Victoria had a wider gauge because of an abundance of trees for sleepers. Passengers travelling from NSW to Victoria and v.v. went through Customs at Albury. Victoria even had its own navy. There probably would have been a few 'cooda wooda shoodas' after Federation.

Standard Gauge is slowly coming in throughout the country but it is a mixed blessing; my local Victorian line has been disrupted for five years due to ineptitude by the contractors converting it to Standard; it is still a rough ride, has speed restrictions and often the expected train is a @## bus. I just drive most of the time now. Train travel on my line is becoming too hard, too slow, occasionally uncomfortable, and bloody expensive.

Also, one of the more irritating things about train travel in general is having to listen to people yapping on their goddam mobile phones.

Sorry for the thread drift, but there is nothing like a good rant. As an airline pilot, I find the visual evidence of man's overpopulated presence on the planet, while flying on a clear night over Europe, the US or parts of Asia, just mind-blowing at times.

radeng
30th Oct 2013, 07:36
Captain Dart

> I find the visual evidence of man's overpopulated presence on the planet<

But why cannot the politicians and the Greens see/accept this? Population control to my mind is far more urgently needed than carbon reduction. I do think people should restrict themselves to no more than two children, although I accept some accidents occur.

Religion, of course, has a lot to answer for in this respect.......

Lon More
30th Oct 2013, 07:51
The entire Belgian motorway network used to be lit throughout the night. Then with rising energy costs they eventually turned it all off except at some junctions. Problem was there were no cats' eyes to mark the lanes or the edges. Result a lot more accidents.

jimtherev
30th Oct 2013, 09:26
Captain Dart

> I find the visual evidence of man's overpopulated presence on the planet<

Religion, of course, has a lot to answer for in this respect.......
... and, sadly, for a good many juicy wars which had the opposite effect:ugh:.

handsfree
30th Oct 2013, 09:50
Nature can be particularly effective at keeping the population down as well. It's estimated that the Spanish Flu of 1918 eliminated 50-100 million peeps worldwide.

Our local council tries to do its little bit by turning off street lights during the night. The neds then do their little bit towards population control under cover of darkness by nicking the drain covers.

Standard Noise
30th Oct 2013, 10:03
my street is dark and dingey

Well you are in a down at heel suburb of Sunderland.:E

Somerset County Council have just announced that they are changing to LEDs for street lighting as it will save 300k a year. What p!sses me off is that they've been wasting the 300k a year up to now, stupid f***ers!

tony draper
30th Oct 2013, 10:06
100 million would not even register as a tick in the scheme of things now, the insane swarming numbers of humanity would hardly pause before its determination to **** itself into extinction.
:uhoh:

Metro man
30th Oct 2013, 10:06
Don't know where yer from MetroMan but there's been a through train between Sydney and Brisbane (standard gauge) since at least 1950, and probably many more years prior to then.

History of Rail in Australia (http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/rail/trains/history.aspx)

Actually only 1995, now if only we could get rid of all the useless replication and different standards involved in having all those States and Territories.

22 million people in the most over governed country on earth.

BOAC
30th Oct 2013, 10:24
In Wisconsin they went all green with the traffic lights - must have caused chaos at junctions. At least we kept the 'Red' and 'Amber' in the UK to get people to stop.:)

Lightning Mate
30th Oct 2013, 10:58
It astonishes me that a lot of people in the UK do not know what a single amber light means, or a green for that matter.

handsfree
30th Oct 2013, 11:19
Or even the red judging by the actions of some of the feckwits around here.

Lightning Mate
30th Oct 2013, 11:20
Especially cyclists !

racedo
30th Oct 2013, 11:51
It astonishes me that a lot of people in the UK do not know what a single amber light means, or a green for that matter.

Well Duh.....

Red - Prepare to slow down to see if anybody around, then give it welly
Amber - Give it welly
Green - Accelerate like Sebastian Vettel

Ken Borough
30th Oct 2013, 11:56
Metro,

As much as I dislike being a nark, you would have this had you have read on

A standard gauge line connected Brisbane with the New South Wales system in 1930

I think you read and stopped when you read this

But it was not until June 1995 that trains could travel between Brisbane and Perth, via Sydney, Melbourne and Adelaide on a standard gauge track.

Better get back to street lights! :ok:

Sailor Vee
30th Oct 2013, 16:58
Street lights - sheer bleeding luxury!

500N
30th Oct 2013, 17:03
I find it easier to drive along a street or main road WITHOUT street lights
than one with one as you go from light to dark all the time.

As long as they have street lights at the round abouts or intersections,
it doesn't worry me.

Airborne Aircrew
30th Oct 2013, 17:31
500N:

I'm something of an oddity over here... I use my full beam when there aren't any or aren't sufficient street lights. Non familial passengers find it quaint... ;)

OFSO
30th Oct 2013, 18:02
Accelerate like Sebastian Vettel

It's no good, I can't twist my face into a nasty smirk and shout "yes, yes, yes".

Tankertrashnav
30th Oct 2013, 18:14
Standard Gauge is slowly coming in throughout the country but it is a mixed blessing; my local Victorian line has been disrupted for five years due to ineptitude by the contractors converting it to Standard;

In 1894, the Great Western Railway closed its final broad gauge route from Paddington to Penzance (just under 300 miles) for a weekend so that it could be converted to standard gauge. The last broad gauge train left Paddington on Friday 20th May and by the following Monday the line was reopened and the service to Penzance was being operated by standard gauge trains.

Sounds like you could do with a team of Victorian navvies to get the job done, Captain Dart!

tony draper
30th Oct 2013, 19:15
Mustn't have been that big a job,just yank the nails out of the rails at one side shove them across the sleeper toward tother rail by a couple of feet nail the buggas back down again.
:rolleyes:

radeng
30th Oct 2013, 19:48
Except Mr Draper, you have to shorten the rails on the inside of curves, and not all the track was cross sleepered track - a lot of it was baulk road, even though not on piles. At least they didn't have Barlow rails to deal with....So not quite so easy. They had 5,000 men on it that weekend...

tony draper
30th Oct 2013, 20:04
Yer it were probably a bit more involved than my post suggested but the chaps with the picks and shovels were pretty adept at the laying of tracks in those days.
Incidentally how did they bend rails for curves?,did they do it on site in situ,or have em pre bent in the foundry and delivered to site.
:)

500N
30th Oct 2013, 20:08
AA

So do I to an extent, always out on Open roads unless other cars about.
We have lots of things that bounce to potentially hit that cause great damage !!!

In town or suburbs, it is harder to do.

But yes, I can see why you do it.

Airborne Aircrew
30th Oct 2013, 21:01
500N:

I live in fairly typical suburbia though out on the edge of it... A couple of miles north and I can be in farmland... I've had deer, skunk, possum, raccoon, foxes, coyote all around the house... Skunk damage the car nearly as much as a deer... :eek:

500N
30th Oct 2013, 21:05
AA

You are lucky you don't have Wombats :O

Small round plump things that are as solid as a rock !!!

G&T ice n slice
30th Oct 2013, 21:10
Small round plump things that are as solid as a rock

Sounds a lot like a description of one of my girlfriends

Airborne Aircrew
30th Oct 2013, 21:22
500:

We have woodchucks... They can be pretty nasty... No Wombat though...

G&T:

She was good though wasn't she... :ok::E

500N
30th Oct 2013, 21:30
To give you an idea of what I mean in terms of size
and solid muscle.

http://i43.tinypic.com/1zmjlzs.jpg

http://i42.tinypic.com/30rws51.jpg

Airborne Aircrew
30th Oct 2013, 21:33
500N:

Surrender...

http://bp0.blogger.com/_u1xyxVn02Nk/R02GwLQtnqI/AAAAAAAAACU/6K5i4kuDO6I/s320/woodchuckcrop.jpg

:}

500N
30th Oct 2013, 21:39
Longer range :O

Your section has already been depleted by 3 :p

http://i39.tinypic.com/2rcbf5f.jpg

Airborne Aircrew
30th Oct 2013, 21:58
500N:

I have air support...

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSo5NIUU1j-tQl4QIEYMkQPxwCTC0_yP5qYfysfi9xpnlZ5q_GDdA

500N
30th Oct 2013, 22:05
I have Radar guided AA guns.

http://i42.tinypic.com/i38ete.jpg

Airborne Aircrew
30th Oct 2013, 22:09
I say... That's a Donkey not a Radar... Never heard of Donkey guided AA...

But here's my SAS cat on exercise... He's been pointed at your ass!!!! :}

https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/5340314368/h65E5786A/