PDA

View Full Version : Weather so bad yesterday aircraft in UK almost cannot land

ExRAFRadar
29th Oct 2013, 06:14
And here you have it Ladies and Gentleman, this crap is funded by your TV license

BBC News - UK storm: Planes wobble on way into Heathrow (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-24717969)

500N
29th Oct 2013, 06:25
Someone should phone them up and tell them the aircraft pilots
waggle the wings to say "Hi" to everyone :O

They would probably announce it !!!

sitigeltfel
29th Oct 2013, 06:25
The camera crew were probably sent there by what the critic AA Gill refers to as a "Tristram" to get some sensational footage to scare the masses. And when they returned with that rubbish, the same person still decided to air it.

Pathetic.

500N
29th Oct 2013, 06:34
"some sensational footage to scare the masses."

That seems to sum up the majority of the news media nowadays.
Trying to "hype" everything.

pplal
29th Oct 2013, 06:57
This just in . . . Ship bobs up and down on water , oh the humanity !!!!

Hydromet
29th Oct 2013, 07:20
Weather so bad yesterday aircraft in UK almost cannot land
Now if they stayed up for a couple of days, that would be news!

Solid Rust Twotter
29th Oct 2013, 07:24
Perhaps if they gave their heads a bit of a wobble...?:hmm:

Worrals in the wilds
29th Oct 2013, 07:26
I'd love to do a range of t-shirts for airline passengers that say 'I thought we were gonna DIIIIEE'. :E
It would save all those repetative TV interviews with freaked out passengers every time an airliner hits mild turbulence, runs twenty minutes late or gets delayed for a tyre change. They could just walk past the cameras wearing the t-shirt and the rest of us would be spared from the journalism 101 Aviation Incident Template every time something happens on an aircraft. :}

Ancient Mariner
29th Oct 2013, 08:03
"Footage from Airtime TV shows planes wobbling on their way into Heathrow, before making smooth landings.
They wobbled, they landed smoothly. Where's the hype. A bit touchy, are we?
Per

500N
29th Oct 2013, 08:06
AM

I noticed that line as well.

What do they want, the pilots to let the aircraft get off line and not correct it
(I know that is not the correct terminology) and land just anywhere on the airport ?

The mind boggles with these news organisations :rolleyes:

MagnusP
29th Oct 2013, 08:19
Disgraceful article. They COMPLETELY forgot to include a shot of the combined nursery school / retirement home / puppy sanctuary under the flightpath. That may, of course, be Windsor castle, but still . . . .

ExRAFRadar
29th Oct 2013, 09:29
I like the Puppy Sanctuary - new one to me.

Perhaps we can start a list of places "The pilot wrestled his crippled Airliner/Fighter Jet/Helicopter/Balloon (?) away from the <Insert your place Here> before crashing"

MagnusP
29th Oct 2013, 09:36
ISTR a website that would let you select things, then generate the doom-laden article. Can't find it just now, sorry.

LookingForAJob
29th Oct 2013, 09:42
And here you have it Ladies and Gentleman, this crap is funded by your TV license
At least the wobbly aeroplanes didn't cost as much as this!
BBC (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-24716764)

BenThere
29th Oct 2013, 10:15
I could see immediately why the airplane in the BBC photo was wobbling.

Some joker attached a landing gear truck to its right aft horizontal stabilizer. I can't believe the FO missed it on the walk-around. That would make any airplane wobble.

angels
29th Oct 2013, 10:49
These are wobbly landings!

Squeaky bum time!

sidevalve
29th Oct 2013, 11:50
More tosh from the BBC News (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-24709180) web site..
http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y497/Piperade64/BBC_zps32353fd1.jpg (http://s1277.photobucket.com/user/Piperade64/media/BBC_zps32353fd1.jpg.html)
This will be where the Belgiums live then..? :ugh:

Lightning Mate
29th Oct 2013, 12:35
What are Belgiums please ?

Solid Rust Twotter
29th Oct 2013, 12:40
Belgiums are the denizens of that small country next to Holland called Belgian.

Apparently they're very fond of a nice cup of tea and a sit down over there...

Sallyann1234
29th Oct 2013, 14:16
Seems that someone in the BBC reads JB. That page linked in the OP has been deleted.

Lonewolf_50
29th Oct 2013, 14:22
It's an ill wind as blows nobody some good. Whilst the UK suffered from the blandishments of said storm, a tidal surge (which I think can be seen as related to this storm system) provided for a jaw dropping display of guts on a surfboard, or an indication of madness, in Portugal (http://www.today.com/orangeroom/biggest-wave-ever-surfers-ride-may-be-one-record-books-8C11487650).

Wow! :eek: I am not sure if his arm movements comprise of wing waggles ... what is the consensus of the panel?

500N
29th Oct 2013, 14:24
Sally

:O

No one likes looking like a fool !

Problem is, the clip is on Youtube multiple times already.

500N
29th Oct 2013, 14:26
His arm movements were trying to say "I'm drowning" !

Lucky to be alive.

Evanelpus
29th Oct 2013, 16:24
I blame that Kate bloody Humble!

The Flying Pram
29th Oct 2013, 19:27
This one's my favourite;
Spectacular landing @ Leeds-Bradford Airport - YouTube

BenThere
29th Oct 2013, 19:42
That was a beautiful piece of work.

When you open the cockpit door and say goodbye to the pax, usually all they know is how soft the touchdown was. They have little knowledge of the cockpit challenges that got them to the point of exiting safely to the gate.

Often the roughest flights, causing the passengers to exit with scowls on their faces, are the ones the pilots served them best, even with a firm touchdown in a 35 knot crosswind. It's the two guys up front who know what's what, and after a rough day they'll likely relive it at the bar, trying to raise a glass with their still trembling hands.

The Flying Pram
29th Oct 2013, 20:01
I've done a few approaches like that in my flexwing (not in 35kts, mind) but with loads of drift. However I don't have the luxury of a rudder to straighten up at the last moment...

I would love to know who was the handling pilot in that clip. Considering the drift angle I imagine it would have been very difficult from the captains seat - he wouldn't have the benefit of a panoramic view that I "enjoyed".