PDA

View Full Version : "Emotionally Connected"

david1300
28th Oct 2013, 12:18
These days I hear a lot of comments about the need for couples to be 'emotionally connected'; sometimes, more specifically, for the woman in a relationship to feel that her partner emotionally connects to/with her?

Most of the smartest people and wordly-wise/experienced people I know hang out here, on JB, so my request is that you share what you believe is meant by the terms "emotionally connected" or "emotional connection".

Over to the wise...

OFSO
28th Oct 2013, 12:26
I am emotionally connected to the Inland Revenue Office. When I get a registered letter from them I start weeping even before I have opened the envelope.

Ancient Mariner
28th Oct 2013, 12:27
I know which connections makes me emotional.
Per

Dak Man
28th Oct 2013, 12:29
emotionally connected = willingness to compromise - simples.

The SSK
28th Oct 2013, 12:39
Some of ue old folks can remember when it used to be called 'in love'.

lomapaseo
28th Oct 2013, 12:55
emotionally connected when she gets madder than hell before the dishes fly my way.

If you really want to emotionally connect with her yourself, try grinning without saying anything when she gets emotional. In the end you will feel washed out

Blacksheep
28th Oct 2013, 13:21
If you ain't emotionally connected, you ain't a couple.

Miserlou
28th Oct 2013, 13:27
If you are man enough to know and give her what she NEEDS, not what she SAYS she WANTS.

fenland787
28th Oct 2013, 13:28
I am emotionally connected to the Inland Revenue Office.....I start weeping even before I have opened the envelope Wot OFSO said and if it's from the Planning Office, I'm still emotionally connected - but I reach for my gun

OFSO
28th Oct 2013, 14:24
Wot OFSO said

And you can add to that - HERE IN THIS COUNTRY -

Demands from the Inland Revenue always come by registered mail:

Refunds come by ordinary post.

Says it all

Lightning Mate
28th Oct 2013, 14:26
Demands from the Inland Revenue always come by registered mail:

No they don't.

racedo
28th Oct 2013, 16:57
emotionally connected = willingness to compromise - simples.

You clearly talking as a single person..........

Pre marraige..................compromise
Marraige.......................you just give in, arguing is possible but it only postpones the inevitable. :(

Ancient Observer
28th Oct 2013, 17:35
The phrase "emotionally connected" has no base in any real science.

At its simplest, it was invented by the marriage guidance industry.

The marriage guidance industry is where the thick, unskilled folk with failed marriages go to earn their "Counselling" experience after they have completed their 6 week counselling course. They get trained by other failed and failing people to listen to what is said, and to "connect" with "emotion" to their "clients"

They are then licensed to give counselling to thee and me.

They are as useless as "Special needs" teachers.

The wimmin who give counselling are just trying not to re-live their own failures.
The men who give counselling are trying to get in to the knickers of the better looking wimmin that come for help.

redsnail
28th Oct 2013, 17:41
Modern expression for "listened to" I think.
It's all down to effective communication and understanding both parties communication styles and needs.

Cacophonix
28th Oct 2013, 17:48
"Emotionally connected"

One of the pseudo psychological terms that should sit in ignominy with phrases such as "closure" and "falling out of love"...

The only time I have been emotionally connected was when my long suffering other half finally snapped one day and socked me in the jaw. It was a good punch and well deserved... ;)

Caco

AtomKraft
28th Oct 2013, 18:28
I'm emotionally connected, like many other pilots....to myself.:)

And the wife!:ok:

Takan Inchovit
28th Oct 2013, 19:57
If you want emotion and connection, start a fight. Reconciling is great.

Shack37
28th Oct 2013, 23:22
If you are man enough to know and give her what she NEEDS, not what she SAYS she WANTS.

WOW:eek:, Macho or WHAT?

Miserlou
29th Oct 2013, 00:07
Only very slightly macho.

Or just 'emotionally connected'.

For example, I know what my girlfriend is getting for her birthday. She doesn't. She has hinted at a few things. But she isn't getting them.

She is getting something which I know she wants but doesn't know I know she wants.

They are strange creatures, women, but there are some things a man must learn to get the best out of them.

As others have replied, 'listened to'. You just have to figure out what she actually means!

Worrals in the wilds
29th Oct 2013, 00:47
Some of ue old folks can remember when it used to be called 'in love'. :D:D
Demands from the Inland Revenue always come by registered mail:Still better than when they come via the AFP accompanied by a team of dogs and a tax office goon bearing a search warrant...:}
As for being emotionally connected... isn't it about empathy and being able to read the other person at least some of the time? Dunno, because usually I'm not very good at it. :\

BenThere
29th Oct 2013, 00:56
My wife is a marvelous person and I can't believe how lucky I was to trick her into marrying me.

That's my emotional connection.

cattletruck
29th Oct 2013, 06:06
I was once "emotionally connected" to someone I didn't want to be...along with a number of other blokes.
She was so hot and looked like a young Christina Agueliera, and was also a complete goofball. There was a song out at the time that captured my feelings accurately with lyrics of "Lovestruck, I've fallen for a lamp post, giving it my utmost, spilling out my deepest feelings". My friends were beckoning me to go see the newly released movie "Something about Mary" but I was too sullen to be in the mood for flicks.

The disconnect occurred when someone more precious than I on this matter made threats and then married her. I think I got lucky though as after so many years I've since heard she's been divorced three times.

Worrals in the wilds
29th Oct 2013, 07:35
The disconnect occurred when someone more precious than I on this matter made threats and then married her. I think I got lucky though as after so many years I've since heard she's been divorced three times.
And isn't it sweet when you hear about that :E? I know it shouldn't be and we should be magnanimous, mature and grateful we escaped, but still...:cool:

Needless to say I have a similar story (genders reversed) and when I heard Mr Suave had buggered off to the Middle East with no notice to avoid paying child maintenance I was genuinely sorry for the victress, but there was a nasty little piece of me that was singing the 'sucks to be you' song from Avenue Q.

I never claimed to be a nice person...:}

OFSO
29th Oct 2013, 08:52
I know it shouldn't be

Why not ? We'll all human - well, most of us here on JB - and one has to make allowance for a decent bit of schadenfreude.

Confucious is reputed to have said "there is no greater satisfaction in life than when seeing your neighbour fall off the roof of his house..."

arcniz
29th Oct 2013, 12:28
Confucious is reputed to have said "there is no greater satisfaction in life than when seeing your neighbour fall off the roof of his house..."

Are we maybe taking a bit much liberty with Kun fu Tze's antiquity here... for sake of a good punch-line?????

Gotta reference for that, or must we take it on faith? Certainly rings true, but who had a roof to fall from, back then. One thinks they all kept dry on principle.