PDA

View Full Version : Normal disembarkation from the right side of the aircraft

stickN'rudder007
27th Oct 2013, 12:13
Hello
I would like to ask whether a normal disembarkation from the right side of the aircraft ( especially from an A320) is not possible for any reasons i might be missing .
This is in the case were a disembarkation from the left side is hindered for whatever reason .

Dash8driver1312
27th Oct 2013, 15:00
I guess you mean with the use of airstairs, what with jetways being configured to dock against the left side exits...

Rick777
28th Oct 2013, 01:38
At one time or another I have disembarked from all four doors on the A320. They all work the same. Back in my DC10 FE days there was one gate in our system that we used the front door on the right. I had to go back and crack the left door because the ACARS only sent the in report when the left door was open.

cym
28th Oct 2013, 14:49
Right hand side has the hold doors and also caters tend to use R1 and R2 to reprvision galleys on turnarounds.

Was always told right for services left for people!

KriVa
11th Nov 2013, 14:20
Indeed.
Take note next time you're on a 737, some other planes have this "feature" too.
The right hand doors are actually lower and a bit slimmer than their left hand side counterparts.
If you were to start a disembarkation using the right hand doors, you'd have a LOT of passengers bumping their heads. Obviously, during an emergency, this is less of a concern.

Burnie5204
11th Nov 2013, 16:10
It is most certainly possible. Its normally not done though more out of practicality which then became tradition which has then become the standard.

As others have said its so that the steps dont get in the way of the ground crew taking the bags out of the holds (or vice versa) on the right hand side. TNT cargo routinely use the R1 door for crew access/egress at EMA as they dont need to worry about the forward belly hold but instead do have a main deck loader on the left so there is more room on the right.

That doesnt preclude right side dis/embarkation. In fact it is the prefered procedure (where air bridges are not in use) if an aircraft reports left main landing gear overheating as it allows you to remove passengers from the aircraft without passing through the danger area for the gear and gives the firecrews room to work.

vctenderness
12th Nov 2013, 08:37
In 40 years of flying on many different types I can never remember using RH doors for passenger disembarkation.

VS-LHRCSA
13th Nov 2013, 10:23
Photos: Boeing 747-444 Aircraft Pictures | Airliners.net (http://www.airliners.net/photo/South-African-Airways/Boeing-747-444/0013268/M/)

There are other pictures in Sal on the database boarding from the right, so it's not a one-off. I wonder if it's something to do limited tarmac space, or something?

Never seen it anywhere else though.

Binthere
18th Nov 2013, 13:58
Actually the practice of using only using the left side doors is based on safety. Not just the fact that the caterers and the loaders/holds are on the right side, but the fuel truck is usually under the right hand wing! Safety first, pax on/off on the safe side of the aircraft.

TwinAisle
2nd Mar 2014, 11:15
I flew with Kingfisher a few times out of BOM (as SLF) and on quite a few trips we used the R1 for boarding - there is a tight nose in bay there, and if they use that one, I guess there aren't room for the steps at L1....

TA

scotbill
3rd Mar 2014, 08:41
The Comet used the RH front door routinely for First Class passengers - before jetties of course

PURPLE PITOT
8th Mar 2014, 12:48
It's called the PORT side for a reason!:rolleyes:

TheChitterneFlyer
8th Mar 2014, 12:59
I most certainly do remember (during my service with BA) that there were occasional exceptions. At Dulles, the passengers boarded from the right side of the aeroplane (B747-200) from the oversize people-movers that elevated to the door level.

Capetonian
8th Mar 2014, 13:10
Sorry, can't resist .......

"from the oversize people-movers that elevated to the door level."
should that be ........
"the people movers for oversize people."?

TheChitterneFlyer
8th Mar 2014, 15:23
You're probably right Capes

TwinAisle
7th May 2014, 12:59
It may be called Port for a reason, but no-one seems to have told Cunard....

First pictures of Cunard's Queen Elizabeth, Queen Mary 2 and Queen Victoria sailing together | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-2622206/First-pictures-Cunards-Queen-Elizabeth-Queen-Mary-2-Queen-Victoria-sailing-together.html)

:ok: