PDA

View Full Version : THE SWISS ARE COMING!!!

CathayBrat
27th Oct 2013, 00:43
One is a supporter of HMRM, but good god, the Swiss.........!!!!!!!

Top Secret Drum Corps: The Next Level (Basel Tattoo 2012) - YouTube

Cacophonix
27th Oct 2013, 02:10
I went out with a Swiss girl... and despite all my blandishments, she never came!

Caco

11Fan
27th Oct 2013, 03:59
....she never came

You gotta get the holes to line up.

Takan Inchovit
27th Oct 2013, 04:56
I saw that one coming.

obgraham
27th Oct 2013, 05:14
So, the drummers are really good.

But what's with those flag dudes? Drumstick dropouts, or what?

500N
27th Oct 2013, 05:24
ob

I was thinking the same thing.

Also the head flicking up or to the side. All in time but superfluous ?

Solid Rust Twotter
27th Oct 2013, 07:18
Visual effect with those white plumes is what that's all about I reckon. Showmanship.

B Fraser
27th Oct 2013, 07:54
Caco, either she was probably enforcing the "no noise after 22:30" rule or it was a Sunday.

A strange lot the Swiss, pleasant enough but totally paranoid that everyone wants what they have. Their idea of "exotic" is eating Italian food. When I lived there, the Indians were running Italian restaurants but a phone call from the Brit expats was enough to get the balti pans out and nan bread on the table in time for our arrival. They also dusted off the large beer glasses for us too. We did get a few sniffy looks from the locals as we tucked into bhunas and dopiazas.

The Swiss bicycle regiment display team are a sight to behold.

http://www.benvanhelden.nl/Condorclub/Fiets/Switserland/MO93/162.jpg

Mallan
27th Oct 2013, 08:07
Those panniers look a bit unloaded.

500N
27th Oct 2013, 08:11
They look like Solid Rubber tyres. A hard ride !

FlyMD
27th Oct 2013, 09:11
Nope, re-inforced tubeless )))

Aire de Drome
28th Oct 2013, 12:45
Dead right, Twotter. Showmanship. Entertainment. They are not military, they are from many walks of life and are hugely successful. Stunning field drum and bass drum technique.

The SSK
28th Oct 2013, 13:01
Years ago, went to an international meeting in Geneva. In the evening, in the company of two or three others, went for a walk and a drink around the old town before going into t random restaurant. At another table were a group of other delegates we recognised.

‘That’s the Swiss, Germans and Austrians’, said one of my companions. ‘They’ve finished their meal and are working out how to share the bill. They will still be at it when we finish eating’.

He was right.

TURIN
28th Oct 2013, 13:14
I'll see your 'Top Secret Drum Corps'

and raise you.....

Luzern Fasnacht!!

One of the oddest events I've ever had the privelage to witness.

ExXB
28th Oct 2013, 20:50
From the flags* you can see that they are from BS (Basle-Stadt), only a 'half-canton'.

*On a white field, a black bishop's crozier, with the crook turned toward the hoist.

Worrals in the wilds
28th Oct 2013, 23:34
We did get a few sniffy looks from the locals as we tucked into bhunas and dopiazas.
So did Mum and I when we ate takeaway sandwiches while sitting on a park bench in a Zurich main street.
We found out later that it just Isn't Done. :ooh:

IMO they're a nice mob, but a little bit uptight.

FlyMD
29th Oct 2013, 05:49
Worrals, as a "Zürcher" i can state with some authority that the reason you got "looks" from the populace is that a few paces away from the main streets we have nice parks with their own benches, as well as the lakeside where you can feed the rest of your sarnie to the ducks...

One of the more popular downtown " picnic" spots is just steps from the main station, the big banks and the expensive stores of Bahnhofstrasse....

Lastly, if you were eating your lunch on the street at any other time than 12 to 1 pm, there were precious few if any Swiss around to give you "looks": we have jobs, you see... So the disapproving glances must have come from your fellow tourists :}

Worrals in the wilds
29th Oct 2013, 07:47
IIRC it was around lunchtime.

It was also the middle of winter and a bit chilly, so by the following day when we'd found an excellent restaurant with a roaring fire we could understand why we'd caused some confusion. ;)

So the disapproving glances must have come from your fellow tourists :}
As Australians we're both used to that. :}

I must say that Zurich is a lovely, friendly city to visit and we had a great time. While we were only there for a stop-over because it was on the way, we both want to go back for a few more days next time we're in Europe. :ok:

A A Gruntpuddock
30th Oct 2013, 00:06
Also pretty impressive -

The Ohio State University Marching Band Performs their Hollywood Blockbuster Show - YouTube

axefurabz
1st Nov 2013, 23:09
I'd just like to thank CathayBrat (http://www.pprune.org/members/108962-cathaybrat) for. (http://www.pprune.org/members/108962-cathaybrat)
posting that little video. [Underlining problem there - wouldn't turn off -wtf?]

I enjoyed it and appreciate the work that has gone into producing such a slick, if ephemeral, presentation. And in this day and age, that's saying something!

er340790
2nd Nov 2013, 01:00
The Swiss are coming????????

Presumably in a Division of Motorised Swiss Army Penknives! :} :E :} :E :}

Worrals in the wilds
2nd Nov 2013, 08:50
Risky things, those swiss cheese holes. :ooh:
Apologies for the aviation content...:E:}

ExXB
2nd Nov 2013, 10:34
First you'd need to get two of them to speak to each other and interact socially. Very weird lot, the Swiss, socially stunted, at least when it comes to other nationalities. Wouldn't be surprised if their population was in decline.

And they put holes in cheese...

Whadya mean? "other nationalities"? The story on the reason why Switzerland hasn't been in a war for centuries (mercenary actions not included) is because we are too busy hating each other.

Our population is growing, seems a lot of foreigners want to come here - now 22% of the population.