PDA

View Full Version : October Storms again . . ? Tie down your women!

Natstrackalpha
26th Oct 2013, 17:02
Yahoo News UK & Ireland - Latest World News & UK News Headlines (http://uk.news.yahoo.com/hurricane-uk-full-force-storm-104043269.html#bne5Z1K)

If, the present Jettie does not peter out and if, the High to the South West maintains it position to the low from the jet which is coming from the west and is warm (but it won`t be for long) then we might get a strong breeze
for about half a day about Monday.

Run to the hills - we are all doomed!!!!

(The Hills live at No 42 . . )

Anyone wanna bet $50 nothing happens at all?

ManaAdaSystem
26th Oct 2013, 17:07
And just in case, LHR will implement 2 hour Slot delays. Which will move to 2 1/2 hrs, which will move to 3 hrs, and so on.
I wish they could react to actual weather, not what might happen.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
26th Oct 2013, 17:27
MAS.... I assume that you are not involved professionally in aviation. It is exceptionally difficult and potentially dangeroous not to take action before such bad weather occurs. Would you have a terminal area full of traffic which could not land?

Perhaps a couple of hours sitting in at Swanwick on Monday morning might obviate any need you might have for ExLax!

ManaAdaSystem
26th Oct 2013, 17:31
I know, I know, but it is really frustrating to explain to the pax that they have to wait 3 hrs+ and then land in sunny LHR.
Prob30 Tempo, prob30 Tempo, Prob30 Tempo.
I miss runway 23!

Capetonian
26th Oct 2013, 17:33
Does anyone have any information on the likely situation at BHX as I have a flight into there tomorrow night? Thanks.

(I also only have two, and neither of them are crystal ...... but someone may know if contingency plans are in place!)

Dannyboy39
26th Oct 2013, 18:14
I gather this is now called Extratropical Storm Christian?

Its due to hit the SW coast tomorrow night, however shouldn't reach BHX until the morning rush. BHX won't see the worst of the storms, however I'd expect many flights to be severely delayed or cancelled at all London airports.

White Knight
26th Oct 2013, 18:26
It's October! It's always the windiest month in the UK. Ops Normal and happy sidesticking:E:}

WATABENCH
26th Oct 2013, 18:51
BRS Should be interesting Monday morning, pretty exposed all the way up on top the hill!

beamer
26th Oct 2013, 18:52
So there is an autumn storm coming through due to an intense low forming in the Atlantic. Lets not resort to Daily Express type headlines. it won't last long and both pilots and controllers will deal with it. Problem lies with certain airlines who simply cancel flights at the first sign of trouble.

Dream Buster
26th Oct 2013, 19:08
Beamer,

Problem lies with certain airlines who simply cancel flights at the first sign of trouble.

Based on decades of experience?

WATABENCH
26th Oct 2013, 19:19
It's Britain, It's poor weather, therefore it is all but guaranteed transport chaos will ensue!

Herod
26th Oct 2013, 19:25
Where's Michael Fish when you need him?

Alanwsg
26th Oct 2013, 19:35
Where's Michael Fish when you need him?
He's on BBC news, right now!

Hobo
26th Oct 2013, 20:41
Does anyone have any information on the likely situation at BHX as I have a flight into there tomorrow night?

Capers, the likely situation at BHX is that the locals will still be talking Brummie, and the Wx should be OK.

Wx BHX (http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/6296572)

Capetonian
26th Oct 2013, 20:44
the locals will still be talking Brummie
Thanks. That's the main reason I don't like going there!

lasernigel
26th Oct 2013, 23:33
I'm flying from SFO to LHR tomorrow, due in at 1035 Monday morning. Just looked up status and says "flight operating". I could only hope for a divert to MAN, will save getting the shuttle.

The Ancient Geek
26th Oct 2013, 23:38
If you get diverted it will almost certainly be to London Prestwick.
:E

gonetech
27th Oct 2013, 00:26
Hasn't MAN got some kind of no diversion NOTAM in force round about the time of this 'storm'?
I see Madrid has some pleasant weather forecast! ;)

fireflybob
27th Oct 2013, 00:49
See some of the forecasters are talking about 90 kts if/when it hits Holland!

Cacophonix
27th Oct 2013, 02:27
I felt my nipples tonight and they were good and hell I know we are going to survive...

Caco

Dushan
27th Oct 2013, 04:30
Caco, as long as there isn't 5cm of snow at LHR. Then, all bets are off.

Krystal n chips
27th Oct 2013, 06:41
" Does anyone have any information on the likely situation at BHX as I have a flight into there tomorrow night? Thanks.

(I also only have two, and neither of them are crystal ...... but someone may know if contingency plans are in place!)

One can only assume you made a spelling mistake here !

No matter, one is always altruistic for those in need.

I can understand therefore that, for those at the very pinnacle of their profession, as you no doubt are regarding the travel industry and presumably the reason you posed the questions in the first place, then the more mundane aspects can be confusing at times.

Hence this, what I hope you will ascertain as being a helpful reply, for a traveller in need of direction.

As a rule, if the weather is forecast to be bad, you may find your flight is cancelled at your departure airport. Alternatively, you may take-off and then divert to an airport where the weather is acceptable.

If the latter, look on this as a positive in that, when you are being transferred by coach to BHX, travelling as a pax, you will be able to familiarise yourself with the UK road signage en-route. Thereafter, on arrival at BHX, your onward journey may be problematic as it involves this :

National Rail Enquiries - Official source for UK train times and timetables (http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/)

I don't live that far from BHX....would you like me to greet you on arrival with one of those signs you see people holding in the arrivals hall at all ?

However, back to the impending storm. Whilst I clearly hope there is no loss of life and that damage to properties is as limited as can reasonably be expected, there is one aspect we can all enjoy.....

Storms invariably bring out the very best in fearless and intrepid reporting and thus, for those whose thespian inclinations were rejected by RADA, they now get the opportunity to demonstrate their talents to a rapt nation......... in the form of stating the bleeding obvious in case any of the population were actually unaware of the weather.

The Beeb are the front runners in this respect, such is their dire financial situation that umbrellas are, seemingly, under severe budget constraints for example and thus our heroes will duly stand, exposed to the elements, to present their piece to the world.

4mastacker
27th Oct 2013, 07:05
.......The Beeb are the front runners in this respect, such is their dire financial situation that umbrellas are, seemingly, under severe budget constraints for example and thus our heroes will duly stand, exposed to the elements, to present their piece to the world.

.....whilst prominently promoting a particular brand of outdoor clothing.

radeng
27th Oct 2013, 09:21
KnC

National rail enquiries I have recently found useless - it wouldn't sell me a ticket and the 'help' line is as much use as a Microsoft helpline.

Plus going directly to the First Great Western web site, the ticket was 6 cheaper!

Lon More
27th Oct 2013, 09:59
Caco, sometimes I worry about you. :O That sounds like a woman's work.

Which airfield's going to b the first to instigate slots due leaves on the runway?

Krystal n chips
27th Oct 2013, 10:04
radeng,

Said site is indeed useless, in part that is, and always has been.

It has, by a strange and happy coincidence, a curious tendency to direct you in the direction of bearded rail and also to offer the most expensive routes, presumably based on the fact that most people will not take the time to do a little research or think about their journey.

Given my opinions as to privatisation and the TOC's, when I use the site, which I do often, it becomes a matter of principle to play these avaricious, profiteers at their own game. True, this can involve making a few sacrifices regarding times, however, the financial savings are well worth these minor inconveniences.

I still think 42 single, First class, from Aberdeen to Kings Cross was a good deal for example. All it took was a minimal amount of planning, but, there again, unlike some, I have no real expertise in travel arrangements.

radeng
27th Oct 2013, 10:15
KnC

You mean

"The night we went to Birmingham
By way of Beachy Head"?

Krystal n chips
27th Oct 2013, 17:15
For anybody thinking of doing a bit of gutter cleaning, at 00.silly hrs, taking a bracing stroll along the prom, or the beach, and for driving, the expert advise has now started to flood in.

BBC News - Preparing for the predicted storms (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-24693145)

vulcanised
27th Oct 2013, 19:19
Same here, and not a drop of rain all day, so far.

Hope you're right.

fenland787
27th Oct 2013, 19:32
its noticeably less windy round my parts than it was this morning.
...err..... too much data FSF!

So why is it that the brickies who were meant to be here all week (and weren't) decide to pitch up mob handed on the Sunday before the mother of all winds is due and proceed to run the 4" blockwork walls up to roof-plate height?

There is now a Heath Robinson/Rube Goldberg* array of scaffold boards, pallets, trestles, blocks and not a few 6" nails attempting to brace the still green walls against the fury of the elements! I don't know who pays if they have to build it all again but I sure know one person who won't!

* delete as culturally appropriate

talkpedlar
27th Oct 2013, 20:06
Bl**dy h*ll........ runway 24 at BHX used to be treat for October sou'westerlies... (until the tw*ts withdrew it) 'specially in the ol' pneumatic F27... cross the railway line.. one wing low into wind.. chop the power and land on the appropriate MLG.. Don't remember cancelling one crosswind-related October flight ..while all the 732 and 1-11 jocks waited for better conditions.

Oh happy days!:ok:

TP

fireflybob
27th Oct 2013, 20:11
Talkpedlar, I do recall an ambitious management pilot for a certain airline I was flying for in the 1980s landing a B737-200 on RW 24 at BHX when the wind was circa 240/50.

All very impressive until someone pointed out the next flight to PMI would be delayed as it was outside crosswind limits for departure on RW 15/33!

Tone
27th Oct 2013, 20:24
I've battened down me hatch and theres hardly a breath of wind, it seems we have been conned yet again. There must be lots of disappointed people around the county 'cos Brits love a good disaster.

500N
27th Oct 2013, 20:35
Tone

But you are in the Midlands, a long way from the South.

Always found the weather could be vastly different from Hereford
to Birmingham to Norfolk on the same day.

fenland787
27th Oct 2013, 20:54
hardly a breath of wind, it seems we have been conned yet again. patience.....the pine-cone sniffers and seaweed watchers say 'tis still to come, 01:00 ish for here...... they could be wrong though!

chips101
27th Oct 2013, 21:06
Storm St Jude or Storm Christian :confused:

Would like to get it right for the Grandchildren.

Pelikal
27th Oct 2013, 21:09
"Make sure you have torches at hand, as well as a battery-powered or wind-up radio to keep up-to-date with weather warnings and information for your area."

Just dug my original BayGen Freeplay out. Still works, nowt on short wave though.

OFSO
27th Oct 2013, 21:09
hardly a breath of wind, it seems we have been conned yet again.

Aye, wife in central London tells me it's quieter now than it was this morning.

Mind you the words storm, lull, and before come to mind (although not in that order).

500N
27th Oct 2013, 21:16
Tone

Talking of "and theres hardly a breath of wind"

A couple of years ago, I was up North of Aus and we had a cyclone form
off the coast. It couldn't decide what to do for a few days, going round in
a figure of 8.

Eventually it decided to head inland, directly to us. We had battened down,
tied down everything possible and after waiting for it to decide what to to
we were a bit impatient for it.

Anyway, in it came, but it was weird, the winds up high were 100+kmh
as you could see the clouds, down at ground level maybe 60kmh + heaps
of rain of course. The sky was surprisingly white.

Then the eye came directly over us and it was eerie, no wind at all,
dead silent, a white mist descended down from the eye to ground level
and it stayed this way for 20 minutes to half an hour. Looking up the eye
at the walls was very interesting.

Then of course the other side hit, the wind changed direction and
we copped it for another few hours.

Not the biggest I have been through but certainly one of the most memorable.

ciderhouse
27th Oct 2013, 21:57
Brickies mob handed on a Sunday! May The Lord preserve us. This storm must surely be on it's way. (Still quiet though!)

ShyTorque
27th Oct 2013, 22:14
I remember sitting on SAR home standby listening to Kai Tak ATC and aircraft landing there as a typhoon approached. It was forecast to be a "direct hit" over Kowloon, and it was.

At one stage there was a 95 kt crosswind. Some airlines were still "having a go", some of them more than once! As the eye of the storm went through the harbour the wind direction reversed and the runway was changed. All a bit rushed, probably due to the crowded holds (some of the diversions were apparently reporting "airport full" which began to cause concern all round).

The crew of the first airliner out of the hold for vectors to runway 31 was offered a PAR because the ILS wasn't fully on line. The crew asked for the message to be repeated at least twice, sounding confused then declined because they said they "were not equipped for a PAR" and were sent round! :ugh:

Blues&twos
27th Oct 2013, 22:29
Currently here inand South Oxfordshire our weather station is showing almost no wind...about 3mph. I haven't checked to see if the wind speed instrument is still there t:uhoh:hough....

tony draper
27th Oct 2013, 22:41
This is a good site for keeping toot on events as they transpire,it has pictures, ie big arrows instead of all that writing and numbers.
:rolleyes:
Wind Map - Britain Observations (http://www.xcweather.co.uk/)

JB007
27th Oct 2013, 22:59
It's been wet and windy here in West Sussex for the last few hours. Although I wouldn't call it anything to get worked up about...yet!

Kicks off about 0100 if the LGW forecast is anything to go by!

treadigraph
27th Oct 2013, 23:04
Just walked a mile home, steady rain and a rising gusty breeze. Monday is bin day and, yes, quite a few will be playing "hunt the wheelie bin" later tomorrow. Wind speed is about "storm force food caddy" with one already overturned on the pavement - or maybe a fox.

My dimwit neighbour has left his plastics recycling box out with no lid as usual - uncrushed 4 pint milk bottles are scattering the neighbourhood as I type.

dead_pan
27th Oct 2013, 23:40
Currently here inand South Oxfordshire our weather station is showing almost no wind...about 3mph. I haven't checked to see if the wind speed instrument is still there t hough....

Barely a breath of wind here atm. Has the Met Office f*cked up?

500N
27th Oct 2013, 23:43
Looking at the photos in the UK media, looks quite strong in some places.

mikedreamer787
28th Oct 2013, 04:17
listening to Kai Tak ATC and aircraft landing there as a typhoon approached.

Kai Tak had a surface limit of 50kt. Above 50kt the airport was closed.

Still under those conditions ST even if one landed in a bloody 90 knot
gale how were the pax and cargo doors going to be opened? The have
a wind speed limit for opening/closing.

Krystal n chips
28th Oct 2013, 05:26
" Looking at the photos in the UK media, looks quite strong in some places"

No doubt true, in part at least.

However, you may also subsequently find, that, various egg dishes are being consumed alfresco in the staff restaurants of several organisations this morning.......

500N
28th Oct 2013, 05:58
Well might as well blame the BBC, they seem to cock everything up.

I bet this headline made some of the lefties at the BBC have heart palpitations !

"We'll cut licence fee unless BBC ends bias and bumper pay-offs"

Krystal n chips
28th Oct 2013, 06:14
" Well might as well blame the BBC, they seem to cock everything up"

Well, tempting though this may be, alas the BBC are only responsible for broadcasting the information, not forecasting it.

sitigeltfel
28th Oct 2013, 06:23
More than 60,000 homes in NW France without electricity at the moment due to downed power lines.
Looks like the wood-cutters will be very busy for some time.

500N
28th Oct 2013, 06:26
Krystal

Is that just for the weather or are the words for everything they say
spat out verbatim ?
Like the left bias on everything they say.
Like saying Prince Harry takes Cocaine but won't apologise yet can't back it up.

Nemrytter
28th Oct 2013, 06:41
No doubt true, in part at least.

However, you may also subsequently find, that, various egg dishes are being consumed alfresco in the staff restaurants of several organisations this morning.......
I'm assuming that you're making these points without actually bothering to look at the forecast. Either that or you're deluded.
No matter what, wind your neck in - the forecast is doing pretty well so far.

bosnich71
28th Oct 2013, 06:45
There was a super storm back in 1805 just off the coast of Spain caused a lot of bother for heaps of sailors and that was in October as well, probably Global Warming then too.

Krystal n chips
28th Oct 2013, 06:54
" I'm assuming that you're making these points without actually bothering to look at the forecast. Either that or you're deluded.
No matter what, wind your neck in - the forecast is doing pretty well so far

"Never assume, always check".....this is called an adage although you may be unfamiliar with the term and the relevance to judge from your post.

I have, strangely enough, been viewing the forecast and various associated charts.

I am aware that, in parts of the S.East and South coast for example, that conditions are as forecast in part, but not to the severity forecast.

I live in the Midlands and the original forecast was for the storm to have an impact on the area. Sticking my head out of the window, I can see rain, but nothing remotely like the forecast level and the wind speed has varied from less than 5kts to say around 10kts gusts.

Do you work for the Met.Office, a TOC, the Highways Agency or Network Rail by any chance ?

ExRAFRadar
28th Oct 2013, 07:08
Twickenham Calling, Twickenham Calling

Squally weather from about 22:00 last night, impressive bending of trees by 06:00. Few bins rolling down street, seems to be easing a tad now.

South West trains all cancelled into/out of Waterloo.

ExRAFRadar
28th Oct 2013, 07:11
Gob - reminds me of the 'dreaded snow fall' news last winter.

Some BBC reporter chap on top of some hill somewhere in God's Country and behind him a car was making it's way through what can only be described as very light falling of snow.

He made it sound like the 4 Horseman were riding the land.

Tone
28th Oct 2013, 07:22
Morning all. Still no wind, no scenes of disaster, bins where I left 'em, trees upright and still covered in leaves, all neighbouring huts still standing. Michael Fish must be wearing a wry grin this morning.
ps Paper just delivered, about 15 mins before his usual time so presume road networks still intact.

fireflybob
28th Oct 2013, 07:34
In the East Midlands here - I checked ema taf at about midnight last night and the max forecast gust was 35 kt - it's been a quiet night hear in Nottm with some rain. As I speak we have about 15 kt in light rain.

Wildly short of the gales predicted by the Met Office.

fireflybob
28th Oct 2013, 07:37
Would all these trains services be canceled in the era of steam? I doubt it!

Capetonian
28th Oct 2013, 07:40
Landed at BHX last night to nothing worse than normal, a few spots of rain, light wind. Very light drizzle this morning and calm. I understand from a friend in Kent that they had a lot of damage last night.

SOPS
28th Oct 2013, 07:47
With the UK's obsession with OH&S, jobsworths and hi viz, I am amazed the whole country hasn't been closed down for 48 hours!

uffington sb
28th Oct 2013, 07:53
Looks like it was a good decision by the railways to suspend services south of Peterborough on the ECML, as there are now trees and overhead lines down.

Capetonian
28th Oct 2013, 07:56
South West: no trains before 8am
Transport for London: no Overground service until 9am, normal Underground trains
West Coast main line: an amended service until 9am but with delays and speed restrictions in place
First Great Western: amended services until 10am with one train an hour between Paddington and Swansea and Bristol Temple Meads. No Southern and Gatwick Express trains until 9am with delays expected after
Chiltern Railways: "as near to normal service as possible"
Eurostar: no cross-channel trains until at least 7am
06.18 Most train operators in the south have cancelled services before 9am, causing chaos for commuters.
First Capital Connect: no service until 9am Greater Anglia and Stansted Express: no service until 9am, then disruptions expected
Southeastern: amended timetable, possible that services won't start until 9 or 10am
c2c: no service until at least 9am
East Coast: amended timetable, no trains leaving London King Cross until 7.35am and nothing arriving until 8.56am

Note the 'odd one out'. I am not sure if it is still owned by Deutsche Bahn but they might be doing something better than the others, or maybe just a geographical anomaly saved them from damage.

Edit : Just heard on the news that Chiltern Trains are not running so the report above was premature.

Nemrytter
28th Oct 2013, 08:00
I am aware that, in parts of the S.East and South coast for example, that conditions are as forecast in part, but not to the severity forecast.It would be interesting to know whose forecast that is, then, as the Met Office wind speeds have been very accurate so far.
Do you work for the Met.Office, a TOC, the Highways Agency or Network Rail by any chance ?Nope, I don't even live in the UK.
Note the 'odd one out'. Perhaps not their best idea, one of my friends was on a train of theirs that just got hit by a tree!

500N
28th Oct 2013, 08:00
Cape

" Eurostar: no cross-channel trains until at least 7am"

I thought the trains ran UNDER the channel !!!

500N
28th Oct 2013, 08:03
I sometimes wonder with forecasts if people actually listen closely to determine what and where or if they just hear high winds / storm and it's going to be all over and leave it at that.

Always liked the UK Weather forecasts and the areas broken up into
segments with a bit for each. I think it must have been the radio we
listened to.

beaufort1
28th Oct 2013, 08:08
500N you might be thinking of the Shipping Forecast and the various areas, this is transmitted on BBC R4, I often listen to it.

Met Office: Shipping forecast and gale warnings (http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/marine/shipping_forecast.html#All~All)

Tone
28th Oct 2013, 08:18
500N
We we're hit by severe delays on the underwater train some years ago. The explanation given was that they were unable to turn the empty train around in France 'cos it would (could - possibly - perhaps) get blown over. If in doubt, cancel, seems to be the current thinking.

JB007
28th Oct 2013, 08:30
I'm about 30 mins drive South West of LGW! Quite a few trees down in the village and roads generally a mess! Haven't seen much flooding! LGW was very quiet when I passed on the M23 and I gather about 130 flights cancelled at LHR!

Back to hoping Crewing don't call me out!

Lightning Mate
28th Oct 2013, 08:37
Just over 70mph here in the early hours.

Blacksheep
28th Oct 2013, 08:45
Would all these trains services be canceled in the era of steam? I doubt it!
Nah! They'd have simply driven straight over the trees on the line at Hertford and East Barnet then ploughed straight through the flooded tunnel at Potters Bar. Engine Drivers were Men of Steel in those days and the Firemen were up to moving a tree or two in between shovelling 20 tons of coal into the firebox. Wimps they are today. Wimps, I tell you! ;)

Groundbased
28th Oct 2013, 08:46
36 miles south of Birmingham the sun is out.

The only irritation is my FTO called yesterday and cancelled my lesson for today. Fingers crossed things keep improving and that can change.

500N
28th Oct 2013, 08:56
beaufort

Yes, that's it. Considering we were always on the extremes of land
like the Wash mudflats in Norfolk, it seemed to give us good forecasts.

Tone

Don't they have
1. An engine at either end ?
or
2. Like in the old days, a turntable to turn the disconnected engine around
which then connects to the front of the train ?

I suppose such sensible early 20th century ideas are no use any more :rolleyes:

uffington sb
28th Oct 2013, 09:31
Tone.
Shirley all the driver does is walk from one end to the other. Perhaps it was the driver getting blown over.
It wouldn't have happened in the days of steam because no overheads, and very little vegetation on account it was always being burnt off by hot coals.
Just look at any steam train photos of yesteryear, clean banks etc.

sitigeltfel
28th Oct 2013, 09:45
very little vegetation on account it was always being burnt off by hot coalsDid they not have squads of men out keeping the bankings free of vegetation to prevent wildfires from sparks, coals etc?

tony draper
28th Oct 2013, 09:46
Yer the main Kings Cross to Edinburgh line runs about a quarter of a mile to the West of me,the embankment was always afire when I was a urchin,like a bloody jungle now it is.
:)

RedhillPhil
28th Oct 2013, 10:03
Cape

" Eurostar: no cross-channel trains until at least 7am"

I thought the trains ran UNDER the channel !!!

Falling trees/blown rubbish on to 25Kv overhead wires not a good recipe for train running.

RedhillPhil
28th Oct 2013, 10:09
Did they not have squads of men out keeping the bankings free of vegetation to prevent wildfires from sparks, coals etc?

Then the bean counters looked at the wage bill for the squads of men and decided that it was too expensive.

603DX
28th Oct 2013, 10:22
The Met Office has traditionally been absolutely castigated for the unreliability of its forecasting, and it's hard to accept that their prediction accuracy has improved by leaps and bounds in recent years. This gale/storm/hurricane has been confidently forecast by them for many days, blast them! So they will now have to get used to being damned if they do, and damned if they don't get it right.

It's too ingrained in the British psyche to complain bitterly about the weather guessers, so no way are they ever going to be actually praised for their diligence. The best they can hope for is a sort of grudging acceptance that the millions of pounds of public funds thrown at uprating computing power seem to have provided rather better guesses than the old bit of seaweed hung on their office roof ... ;)

OFSO
28th Oct 2013, 11:01
they were unable to turn the empty train around in France

Rubbish ! The Eurostars are double-ended and shuttle back and forth. Carriage number 1 is at the front going to England and carriage number 18 is at the front going to France.

west lakes
28th Oct 2013, 11:39
they were unable to turn the empty train around in France

Unless they are using the words "turn around" in the same way they are used in relation to an aircraft, i.e. Pax etc. off, pax and catering back on, or is that too obvious on an aviation related site! :cool:

RedhillPhil
28th Oct 2013, 11:42
Unless they are using the words "turn around" in the same way they are used in relation to an aircraft, i.e. Pax etc. off, pax and catering back on, or is that too obvious on an aviation related site! :cool:

That is indeed so.

fenland787
28th Oct 2013, 11:50
very little vegetation on account it was always being burnt off by hot coalsThe Nene Valley Railway are doing their bit to maintain the old traditions:

Sparks from passing train may have caused crop fire - Peterborough Telegraph (http://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/news/local/sparks-from-passing-train-may-have-caused-crop-fire-1-5387413)

Cacophonix
28th Oct 2013, 12:19
Bad day in garden Caco today. Large apple tree downed, neighbour's fence destroyed. Could be worse. Road to farm next door completely blocked by oak that was downed and many other neighbours have lost trees. Air is redolent with wood dust and the sound of chain saws.

The weather men certainly got this forecast right.

Caco

Tone
28th Oct 2013, 12:21
When we got the excuse about trains been blown over we were not attempting to travel on Eurostar, 'twere the other lot what carries cars,truck and illegal immigrants. If you look at the Sangatte terminal on Google it shows a large turn-around loop in the track, so I half believed the story.

RedhillPhil
28th Oct 2013, 14:29
When we got the excuse about trains been blown over we were not attempting to travel on Eurostar, 'twere the other lot what carries cars,truck and illegal immigrants. If you look at the Sangatte terminal on Google it shows a large turn-around loop in the track, so I half believed the story.

I wondered about Eurostar trains being blown over. Now you mention it was le Shuttle I understand as they are far higher. The entire Eurotunnel thing is like a gigantic train set so that the shuttle trains can run on a continuous loop although my understanding is that they tend to just go back and forth.

MagnusP
28th Oct 2013, 14:36
The reason why trains couldn't run from Sangatte is because it was too windy for the poor wee illegals to get a safe hold on axles.

4mastacker
28th Oct 2013, 19:02
On BBC East Midlands, a very attractive young lady, smartly dressed in a cheeky LBD and 5" stilletto's (not that I was looking, you understand?), explained the reason for the lack of wind in these parts was because the eye of the storm passed over our region. She did say that 100 miles away, it was a very different story and that 100 miles is no distance at all in meter.., mette.., meateeawe..., weather terms.

500N
28th Oct 2013, 19:31
4mast

That is the best one I have heard :O :ok:

Lonewolf_50
28th Oct 2013, 21:04
October Storms again . . ? Tie down your women!
Never needed a storm as an excuse, just a lady of the proper disposition for such kinky fun ...

Cacophonix
28th Oct 2013, 21:12
just a lady of the proper disposition for such kinky fun ...

Had a girl friend like that once... I didn't get it really but was prepared to humour her by tying her to the bed post, the very thought of which made her inordinately excited.

Talking of excitement Madame Cacophonix has spent the day retrieving the apples from our downed tree and has made 10 pints of apple juice, an apple tart and I suspect I am going to have apple surprise from my dinner. All of which stuff is very mom and apple pie and yet strangely pleasing to me.

It is an ill wind etc.

Caco

500N
28th Oct 2013, 21:17
"Had a girl friend like that once... I didn't get it really but was prepared to humour her by tying her to the bed post, the very thought of which made her inordinately excited. "

Caco

I do hope you "satisfied" her excitement :O

jimtherev
28th Oct 2013, 23:15
Used you to live in Camberwell, Caco? I heard once from a police officer of my acquaintance a story about a young lady manacled to a bed and Superman trapped in a wardrobe into which he had fallen when the roof collapsed.
Familiar?

500N
28th Oct 2013, 23:20
In one of the newspapers I read, they had a list of the weird and wonderful rescues by firemen or fire department.

Some were very interesting.

IMHO, never allow yourself to be handcuffed or tied to a bed !!!

radeng
29th Oct 2013, 12:30
Southern part of Wiltshire got hit pretty hard, and a lot of people lost electricity. Up here in N. Wilts, it never, to my mind, got beyond a 'strong breeze'

OFSO
29th Oct 2013, 14:14
It's an ill wind....the former car which was "not worth repairing", parked at a garage in S.E. England awaiting disposal as scrap, has now been sold to someone whose vehicle was crushed by a tree on Monday morning, who needs an urgent cheap transport replacement for a couple of weeks.

IMHO, never allow yourself to be handcuffed or tied to a bed !!!

Or forget the release code word.