PDA

View Full Version : Looking for this old footage - runaway a/c

major_tom
26th Oct 2013, 12:46
Hi all

A little while ago I found the footage of this run-away aircraft at the 1998 Mangalore airshow

CNN - Pilotless plane plows into crowd at air show - Apr. 13, 1998 (http://edition.cnn.com/WORLD/asiapcf/9804/13/australia.pilotless.plane/)

Cant seem find it now :ugh: . Any ideas?

500N
26th Oct 2013, 13:15
I found this on Youtube, don't know if it is what you are after.

It's a Ten News report with a little bit of footage of the aircraft.

FYI, all I searched on was "Mangalore 1998) and it came up 3 from the top.

Ten News, April 13, 1998, Mangalore Air Show incident - YouTube

Mail-man
26th Oct 2013, 14:05
This one is also fun,

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=b29K_fMe6dQ

Mumshroom
31st Dec 2022, 14:14
That's me. . . I'm that 13 yr old girl

tail wheel
31st Dec 2022, 18:55
Hope you made a full recovery Mandy. :)

thunderbird five
31st Dec 2022, 19:57
I was there, saw it all happen. Frightening stuff. I was hoping the fire truck would just ram it to take it out, but no.
And we wonder now why CASA rules for airshows seem so over the top?

43Inches
31st Dec 2022, 22:23
Makes you wonder though, at an airshow with 100's of pilots around and you can't get somebody to sit in the cockpit and assist the hand start. Fair enough solo hand start when you have no option.

Squawk7700
31st Dec 2022, 23:55
Makes you wonder though, at an airshow with 100's of pilots around and you can't get somebody to sit in the cockpit and assist the hand start. Fair enough solo hand start when you have no option.

Back in those days, it probably didn’t even have brakes!

megan
1st Jan 2023, 00:26
A better video of the incident, a lot of folk had a lucky escape, in the circumstances you're unfortunate Mandy to be the only casualty, I wish you well,

https://www.1001crash.com/aviation-video-avion_fou-lg-2-nobody-onboard-nobody-can-stop-plane.html

Squawk7700
1st Jan 2023, 00:58
Imagine the carnage if the prop was at the front!

tossbag
1st Jan 2023, 01:10
Judas..........,.only one person injured!!

Lottery ticket stuff Megan!

ShyTorque
1st Jan 2023, 11:51
Not easy to watch that!

Thirty years or so back, one of my RAF colleagues (a navigator) owned a Renegade Spirit biplane powered by a Rotax 2 stroke which had become very difficult to start. He tied the tail wheel to one of the hangar door supports while he worked on it alone. I think he eventually flooded the engine with fuel so he opened the throttle more and more while he pulled it through. When it suddenly started, the tail tie down broke and off it went across the concrete. He grabbed the wing tip but after a few rotations on the ramp he realised it was getting away from him. He let it go as it was pointing away from the hangar whereupon it ran onto the adjacent grass, nose over, stalled the engine and broke the prop.

I think he sold it not long after that because it wasn’t the first time he had badly frightened himself with it. The first time was when he managed to inadvertently flick roll it after unstrapping whilst trying to remove a badly stowed object jamming the control column at low level. He only just prevented himself from falling out over the clubhouse at Popham!