PDA

View Full Version : Emigration

CathayBrat
25th Oct 2013, 21:07
Tapping into the collective mind of JB.
I have been offered a job in the USA. However, it would be a big move for the family. SWMBO first reaction was "i dont want a gun!" After explaining that they are not issued at immigration she calmed down. It would be based in West Virginia.
My question is this:- What is it like? I'm sure others here have done it, and enjoyed or disliked it. I have lived all over the world, so culture shock is not a prob, but only did flight school in Florida, so not sure about the rest (apart from visits to NYC, TX and Atlanta.) What is the cost of living like? Social life? Basically the nitty gritty of day to day life, more for the other half than me. I'm very tempted by the offer, I have always wanted the chance to live and work in the states, but not with an unhappy wife.
So I throw myself on the wisdom of JB for opinions.

Nervous SLF
25th Oct 2013, 21:48
Probably telling you something you already know and have looked into but medical insurance is a big must have.

Airborne Aircrew
25th Oct 2013, 21:54
Cathay:

PM me... I won't get back to you tonight, but I should manage it sometime tomorrow.

seacue
25th Oct 2013, 23:17
I live in a DC suburb perhaps 30 miles from West Virginia as the buzzard flies. But that is NOT useful information. West Virginia [WV] has very different parts. The "eastern panhandle" is almost a distant suburb of Washington, DC. Maryland Rail Commuter [MARC] trains start in Martinsburg, WV, and serve various stops before ending at Washington, DC. To DC in the morning, from DC in the evening. I have met people who ride it daily from Harper's Ferry or Bolivar WV to jobs near the rail station in DC. The WV state University is at Morgantown. Wheeling (on the Ohio River) is more-or-less a (former?) steel mill city. Both are in the north-most part of the state. The state capital is at Charleston, which is in the south-central part of the state.

I think of the rest of WV as being an economically depressed coal-mining area. Perhaps I'm being unfair.

The slogan on the WV car license plate is "Wild and Wonderful West Virginia". A lot of the state has low population density. The National Radio Astronomy Observatory at Greenbank WV is in a valley with an enforced "radio quiet" zone. It is not too far from towns with respected universities in Virginia.

The local culture and cost-or-living would differ considerably in different parts of WV.

seacue

Loose rivets
25th Oct 2013, 23:18
Probably telling you something you already know and have looked into but medical insurance is a big must have.

Probably telling you something you already know and have looked into but medical insurance is a big MUST HAVE, TO THE TUNE OF SEVERAL MILLION DOLLARS.

$20,000 A NIGHT, to be in a hospital bed has become a reality. Even my well-insured and seemingly rich neighbor checked out against doctor's advice because the CO-PAYMENT of circa 10% was crippling. Mind you, he'd just paid $92,000 for a course of pills.

Said many times. S-I-L cricked her neck pulling something out of the garden. They took four hours working on her neck from the front. $144,000. She was well insured, but her payment still stung.

Whole family must be covered, and the local hospital MUST BE ONE OF THOSE THE INSURER ACCEPTS. Yep, they can tell you who you can and can not use. There are new laws being formed to control that get-out.

What's good? Most things. Lovely people, wonderful countryside, very cheap housing - in some places, anyway. I've spent more on fuel in the UK in 2 1/2 months than I spent in about that number of years in the states. Perhaps that's just me. The people seem to have an enthusiasm for life, but then, they also work hard. Two weeks vacation a year is quite common. That alone blows my mind.

Beside a lake in Tennessee is one of the most beautiful places I've ever lived. Miles of water skiing before seeing one other person. Water so clean one could, and did, drink it. Seriously nice.

I've kind of lost interest in eating out these days, but while back in the UK, I really miss buying shrimp for tuppence. Grapes. I eat a pound a day in Texas. Supermarket prices, heading upwards like the rest of the planet, but I just close my mind to prices in England while I'm here. As for house prices. Jeeeeeeezzzzzzzz. I have no idea how young families put a roof over their heads.

In Texas, the road tax is I think, c $70 on all sizes. So little I don't really know. MOT $12.50 and usually only a wiper blade to purchase. I usually argue that one and they buckle.

(You may think that's unwise, but I watched a bloke with a windshield that looked like a deer had smashed the driver's side and it had been duck-taped up. When he'd got the kids in the car he pulled away from the school leaning over to look out the part that was only cracked.

You can talk on the phone while driving, but they ask you nicely not to text - especially while crossing junctions. Do it near a school, and likely you'll meet the judge that day. He won't like you, you can count on that.

Having said that, a cross judge is about the only person that won't like an English family in the states. I won't go into NorAid issues. Fading away, thank heavens.

I'm heading back in a couple of weeks. Medical issues pushed to the back of my mind since I'm uninsurable. Should be down to 32c by the time I'm there.

BenThere
25th Oct 2013, 23:28
I'd do it just for the experience. Appalachian culture is rich and unique. Bluegrass and gospel music, moonshine - ground zero.

The plus side is you'll get a lot of house for your money; you're within a day's drive of both Manhattan and Florida beaches; the people are solid Americans and good; the landscape is gorgeous.

Nothing's forever, you can always move again if you don't like it. I presume this is a career move from which you can benefit it the long run.

obgraham
25th Oct 2013, 23:53
Not many places in the US are "typical of the US", but West Virginia is one place that is pretty far from typical. Mostly rural, even the cities are only medium sized. It'll be a big change from UK, especially if you enjoy the "urban life".

I strongly suggest you visit the location you are considering first. Spend a few days. Wander around. Stop in the coffee shop. Be sure SWMBO is similarly interested. (Happy wife = happy life.)

baggersup
26th Oct 2013, 00:46
Where in West Virginia?

As others have said, it differs. But alot of rural and beautiful.

Alot of it reminds me of Wales, the coal mining similarity is apt. It's not a wealthy state, as some around it are. People are salt of the earth in most cases and even some might be a little rough around the edges. But nice.

But if guns are your wife's biggest issue, moving to a rural state where game hunting is a religion might put her off!

And this gun thing is just so played up in other countries after the big shootings that it's blown it all out of proportion.

I'm in senior citizen area in age; and have known unbelievable numbers of people.

Yet the only people I've ever known who had guns were two: Friends or family who were sworn officers of the law whose job entailed carrying one, and my nephews in Arizona who are ranchers and have to carry one in the desert for protection from wild things that might kill them when they are way out in the middle of nowhere on horseback. And also to put down fatally injured or terribly ill and dying animals on the ranch.

The nearest vet is 100 miles over a dirt road.

That's it.

And yes you have to have health insurance. But if you have an employer who is worth its weight in salt, they'll have some provision. I cannot imagine somebody getting recruited to come to the US and work and is not offered this basic provision of employment.

The caveat right now is that Obamacare is imploding the US health care system vis a vis insurance coverage; its been taken down to the studs and we are metaphorically in the process of trying to take apart and rebuild a 747 while it's in the air.

Policies are being cancelled right and left due to insurers being unable to meet the requirements the HHS has set down; and existing policy holders if they have not had their policies yet canceled are receiving 300 percent or more premium increases.

The systems in a huge mess at this time of transitioning from a free market health care system to a state-managed system the managers of which don't seem to now what they are doing yet.

But surely your employer will figure something out, even when the sands are shifting as we speak.

One thing to keep in mind in talks with your employer is---the new Obamacare program has created a new list of taxes that were not previously related to health care.

So for instance if your employer says, go out and find a private policy with a health insurance company and we'll just give you a stipend to pay it, then check first to see what the taxable situation is on that.

Obamacare in order to undermine private health insurance (except for people like the White House and Congress who have exempted themselves from Obamacare, make of that what you will) has decided to tax certain policy holders 40% of what their employer is paying--or the employer has to pay the 40% tax.

So if you get $11,000 a year from your employer to pay your premiums for your family, then the government will ask for 40% tax on that to be paid to the government.

Obamacare has changed health benefits from being benefits to being something the government can tax---even higher than income.

But that doesn't start for a couple of years. So you could start with a policy but find in 2016 or 2017 suddenly somebody gets taxed 40% on top of that.

It will require some homework, that's all.

Caboclo
26th Oct 2013, 06:22
you're within a day's drive of both Manhattan and Florida beaches
I'm assuming he meant that you're within a day's drive of DC where you can get a plane to the beach. Definitely more than a day's drive to Florida. You could drive to NYC over-night when traffic is light, good luck doing it during the day.

WV is known as the hillbilly state. That part which is not a suburb of DC will be quite rural. If you get off the beaten path, things could get extremely rural. One room homes, severe inbreeding, etc.

SWMBO may not want a gun, but all your neighbors will have one. You might even see people carrying handguns openly.

Much of the state is very mountainous. Not exactly Everest, but the roads will be very steep and curvy. They do get snow and ice in the winter, can be tricky driving.

It's a gorgeous place, if you're into that sort of thing. If you prefer night-life and high-end shopping and dining, you might look elsewhere.

mikedreamer787
26th Oct 2013, 08:48
CB...tell her John Denver thought it was a reasonable place.

oN86d0CdgHQ

ChrisVJ
26th Oct 2013, 20:15
Do it!

Regretting you did is so much better than regretting you didn't.

We did, (With three kids too,) and have never regretted it.

CathayBrat
26th Oct 2013, 21:13
Thanks for the replies, all very positive. It would be in the southern corner of WV (about as far south in that state as possible), and from googoo, it does look rural (spread out, countryside etc, bugger what is the word i'm looking for?). That is not a problem, having lived and worked most places in the world, middle of no where is the norm! AA has told me Americans are very Anglophile, true of those I have met outside the states, however I understand that neck of the woods is very, how shall we say, "conservative". Have we moved on from the 1776 fracas?
Some chaps have mentioned health insurance, its covered in the contract, but with the new program it should be "interesting" if nothing else!
I'm keen, but wont go without the family (made that mistake once before), so have to persuade OC domestic!
Cheers

Loose rivets
26th Oct 2013, 21:16
But surely your employer will figure something out, even when the sands are shifting as we speak.

And do they shift!

Friend, GI bride of the seventies, HAD a million dollar medical cover. Boss says he can't afford the premiums under OB-care, so puts her on a 39 hour week. She, they, in this case, now have NO medical cover at all.

It happens the husband had to quit his job because he was held at gunpoint in Mexico as the Mexican Mafioso tried to get him into their car.

He said to his American boss, no more. Employers said, goodbye. Family now without ANY cover at all.

CathayBrat
26th Oct 2013, 21:38
I may be naive, but what is the problem with healthcare? Although the NHS has its problems, it does work (at a cost). Is it that the health companies dont want to lose their monopoly? How hard is for people to accept NHS style health care in the most prosperous country? Here we all pay our bit, and have access to 1st class medical services. Yes, it has its problems (health tourism etc), but I would not deny it to any tax payer, (as we have payed for it).
Is it all a knee jerk reaction to possible price rises (not sure for what for), or CEO's worried about their pensions?

racedo
26th Oct 2013, 23:20
Would do it in a heartbeat.......

I have found Americans to be one of the most polite, friendly people I have met interspersed with some who have a total ignorance on everything other than what their party / church tells them to support.................really can be extremes.

If in a rural community then get out and meet the folks, make sure everybody knows you very quickly, especially local police, they talk especially in coffee shops (or anywhere with a donut). Getting known as new people at least lets people know you are staying around a while rather than a stranger passing through.

As for guns................majority of friends in US don't own one, never will own one and don't feel need for one.

However were you to live in an area where people happily smash down the door of your house, smashed up on Crystal Meth or whatever, your viewpoint might change.

ExSp33db1rd
27th Oct 2013, 03:39
.......but what is the problem with healthcare?

In the USA - Hospitals, Doctor, Insurance Companies. That's wot.

I had 2 arterial 'stents' fitted in New Zealand, cost aboutNZ $4,000+ - which my Insurance Co. paid.

A friend in California had the identical treatment, i.e. 2 stents, and it cost his Insurance Co.$180,000 of which he had to stump up $10,000.

pj67coll
27th Oct 2013, 04:45
Can't comment on WV. And I emigrated here thirteen years ago while single so I don't know about bringing in a spouse as well. But if I understand the way US visas work your wife will not be eligible to work. This means you will be the sole income provider. Might want to check up on that with a good immigration attorney unless you are planing to be the only bread winner anyway.

- Peter.

Loose rivets
27th Oct 2013, 09:28
ExSp33db1rd's post is just another indicator that honest American families are being routinely robbed. I strongly suspect, the sick often pay the entire cost when they stump up for 'co-pay'.

It's an evil and cruel system, and one which the United States needs to bulldoze through showing no mercy, and certainly no compensation, for the million-a-year (and sometimes a million-a-month) leaches.

radeng
27th Oct 2013, 09:29
Besides health care insurance for the whole family, you want to look at guaranteed repatriation costs if things go t*ts up and you need to come back. Which could happen if you don't have a Green Card.

seacue
27th Oct 2013, 11:28
A discussion of West Virginians change in politics.

West Virginians, alienated by Washington, angrily reject their Democratic roots | The Washington Post (http://tinyurl.com/nx4ezx9)

Airborne Aircrew
27th Oct 2013, 11:41
Loose:

ExSp33db1rd's post is just another indicator that honest American families are being routinely robbed. I strongly suspect, the sick often pay the entire cost when they stump up for 'co-pay'.

It's an evil and cruel system, and one which the United States needs to bulldoze through showing no mercy, and certainly no compensation, for the million-a-year (and sometimes a million-a-month) leaches. That's about the most ignorant assessment of the US system I have ever heard. Firstly, Speedbird's pal had obviously not availed himself of appropriate coverage thus his out of pocket expenses were so high. I'll give you a perfectly good and quite opposite example. When we adopted my daughter she came with a well documented PDA, (a hole from her Dorsal Aorta to her Pulmonary Artery resulting in high pressure blood being forced into a low pressure system. Eventually the lungs become so damaged she would die). I called my insurance company and asked what my options were. I was told not to worry, the moment we signed the final papers she was covered at no additional cost other than adding a child to the policy. She saw the head of Pediatric Cardiology at Detroit Children's Hospital, a well renowned hospital, she was operated on by their chief surgeon and had to have the largest device they had available to fix the problem, (14mm), inserted in the hole. I've never bothered to tot it up but I can assure you that my out of pocket expenses haven't exceeded $100 and I only pay $300/month in insurance... Hardly and "evil and cruel system"...

It's interesting that when this subject is brought up elsewhere I hold up two examples of the "wonderful" British NHS and no-one ever responds. Namely, the town where my father lives has a population of 36,000 and, while it used to have an ambulance service - the building is still there - it is served from a town nine miles away. I assisted in pulling an old gent from the river a few years ago, it took the ambulance 45 minutes to get there. Secondly, my stepmother recently passed. Colon cancer - an easily detectible condition except that the Oxford District of the National Health Service doesn't test for it unless you show symptoms. :ugh:

Now, which is the "evil and cruel system"?

Metro man
27th Oct 2013, 13:43
In the USA - Hospitals, Doctor, Insurance Companies. That's wot.

Don't forget the lawyers. All the unnecessary test which have to be performed to avoid liability increase costs. Multi million $$ awards by juries because they are sympathetic to the claimant, even though there is no fault on the doctors part. Out of court settlements simply because it's cheaper to pay than fight the case, even if you are right.

Airborne Aircrew
27th Oct 2013, 13:49
And Metro Man gets the daily prize for incisive and accurate commentary... :D:D:D:D:D:D

Solid Rust Twotter
27th Oct 2013, 19:13
Moral of the story?

Eat a lawyer. You know it's the right thing to do...:ok:

ExSp33db1rd
27th Oct 2013, 20:32
Firstly, Speedbird's pal had obviously not availed himself of appropriate coverage thus his out of pocket expenses were so high.

Clearly I know nothing of the detail, obviously he had some cover, but how much is enough ? Costs escalate all the time, and unless one continues to re-evaluate ones premiums one can easily be behind the 8 ball when the time comes.

My own - Non U.S. - medical cover will only give me 6 weeks vacation cover when in the USA, so I have to be damned careful that I'm not stuck with some airline cancellation or strike and spend an extra hour in the place, ad hoc travel insurance at my age is almost no-no and doesn't give much US cover anyway.

Mrs. ExS, a US citizen, paid into a US policy all her working life, and when she moved overseas to live with me she tried to quietly continue to pay the premiums against the possibility of moving back, or needing it on visits, but "they" found out that she no longer had a "permanent" US address - as a result of a Bank cock-up, and Whoopee !! April Fool, we've won, everything confiscated, no cover, and now, should she move back at our age not a hope of being accepted at a price that any "normal" person can afford.

In retrospect maybe we could have played it differently, but one can only play the ball the way you see it today, and now it's too late.

fenland787
27th Oct 2013, 20:39
In answer to the OP, my answer is - go for it - I'd be on the next flight out if I got the call!

I'm just back in the UK after a few years in the Seattle area (no prizes for guessing why) but I have been fortunate enough to work in the USA from time to time since the mid 1970's (in California and Hawaii mostly) and have loved every moment.

The comments that follow are, of course, only how I feel and that has a lot to do with who I am, I had some visiting colleagues who felt they had to commiserate daily over how awful it was that I had been 'stuck over here for years'! One man's meat and all that I guess?

I would echo Racedo's comments, I have found America and Americans on the whole to be genuinely welcoming, positive in their outlook and we have a lot more in common with them than we have with our European neighbours!

On the specifics, cost of living - way cheaper, social life - way better, quality of life - streets ahead of the UK.

My family couldn't join me full time there and Mrs Fenland, in common with many Brits who have never been, had a very negative view of America, but she and the (late teenage) kids spent lots of time visiting in the time I was there and are totally won over now!
Since returning this last time I realise that I now feel more at home and happier over there than in the UK which is sad, but we seem beset by a sort of helpless negativity that drives me nuts - Whinging Poms the Aussies call us I believe - and the petty bureaucracy of national and local government has gone beyond all reason!

Bill Bryson's example of the differences in service between the UK and USA said it all "I'd rather be told to 'have a nice day' by someone who didn't mean it than be told to 'F:mad: off' by someone who did"So, I wouldn't hesitate!

By all means PM if you would like to talk.

Airborne Aircrew
27th Oct 2013, 20:40
Ex:

In retrospect maybe we could have played it differently,

Indeed you could. Unless there are odd circumstances there was no reason for her to try to keep paying for healthcare she could/would not use.

It certainly isn't the "evil and cruel" system that Loose Rivets tried to make it out to be and, to be quite honest, for someone so bloody ignorant to come into Cathay's thread and start lighting fires is purely a reflection of his/her utter lack of class and good sense.

bcgallacher
28th Oct 2013, 00:36
Airborne Aircrew -
Have a look at WHO statistics for infant,child and maternal mortality,that will give you some idea of the relative merits of the US and nhs systems.

Airborne Aircrew
28th Oct 2013, 00:40
bcg:

We've already been over those statistics here in JetBlast several times... You're counting US abortions yet excluding them from the other statistics... Stop being a liar, it does not do you well...

obgraham
28th Oct 2013, 02:10
Airborne:
You've made this statement before, about abortions being included in perinatal mortality figures.
Despite working in the field for 40 years that's new to me. Could you provide a reference?

That said, the factors leading to poor performance in perinatal mortality in the US compared to other places, are social, geographical, and political in origin. The treatment and care provided to infants in the US, on a birthweight balanced basis, are among the best in the world.

bcgallacher
28th Oct 2013, 09:43
OB Graham - I agree with you regarding the standard of health care in the USA -the problem is it is not available to all - only to those who can afford it.Is it not better to have good health care for all rather than very good care for some?
Even poverty stricken Cuba has better infant mortality rates than the USA due to the fact that every barrio has some kind of medical practitioner. I am afraid that AA is in denial regarding the failings of the US system - compared to some of the European systems it comes out even worse. I spent 35 years working overseas and have experienced all kinds of health care systems - even in the USA and believe that every country should have some kind of national health system. Most if not all OECD countries have it - the USA is the odd man out.
It is cost effective in as much as the USA spends far more per head on health care as for example the UK (2 1/2 times as much) for poorer outcomes.

seacue
28th Oct 2013, 10:45
I suspect that AA's cost of health insurance is very heavily subsidized by his employer. I have what is thought to be a very good health insurance plan in the USA, but my employer pays about 75% of the monthly fee. Even with that, my cost is almost $200 per month for a single person, not a family. I also have substantial copayments for medical bills until out of pocket cost reaches the "catastrophic" level in a year, at which point the insurance pays 100%. "Catastrophic" is defined as some thousands of dollars in a year.

MagnusP
28th Oct 2013, 15:54
Eat a lawyer. You know it's the right thing to do...

There are some hotties here. I'll ask and get back to you . . . :E

Solid Rust Twotter
28th Oct 2013, 17:05
May one suggest a suitable cut from the thigh, lightly seasoned and grilled, served with fava beans and a chianti?:E

BenThere
28th Oct 2013, 22:54
And why shouldn't everyone be able to have a BMW 7 Series? Some just because they can afford it?

That's hardly fair.

Loose rivets
28th Oct 2013, 23:42
Airborne, (sigh) and there's me having recently thought, I never argue with PPRuNers. Not seriously, anyway.

It's an evil and cruel system, and one which the United States needs to bulldoze through showing no mercy, and certainly no compensation, for the million-a-year (and sometimes a million-a-month) leaches.

My belief in that statement is absolute. However, from time to time one find angels in this planet's seething morass of greed.

Indeed, I found one such doctor in the Methodist Hospital in San Antonio. He said words to the effect, 'When the sun shines on you to this extent, you need to spread it around.' Something like that. He gave me my Gleason figure for the cost of the lab work, and said, get a move on, or you'll die. I wrote to him some time later thanking him for being one of the people who saved my life.

There are a lot of people like that. Some are like him - making serious money, and see the need to spread their luck around. Some are like Gandhi, or Mother Teresa - just driven to do what they do. They are in an extreme minority.

My opinion doesn't come from a short assessment of the state of affairs, or one God-given and honorable application of a company's set of rules. Sadly, it comes from nearly 40 years of splitting my life between the two countries, and seeing things change in a way that makes my heart despair.

Don't for one moment think I was making some kind of comparison-judgement between our two countries. I have written several times on this forum about the NHS, and the way it's failing people. I described with vivid imagery about taking my mother out of Colchester hospital, in her nightdress, in a snow storm. I'd heard myself threaten senior management of that hospital with an ultimatum: If so-and-so is not done by the end of tomorrow, I will ask my solicitor to instruct Counsel. I was blood-red angry, but despite meetings with charming people I still personally devoted the next 2 1/2 months to nursing that 89 year-old back to health. It was one of the hardest things I'd ever had to do.

The issue was contract nursing, and no assurances I'd gained were relayed to the next batch of do-it-for-the-money staff. And this is after a very concerned doctor told me how he'd seen some of the old style regular nurses cry when seeing the 'modern' level of care.

To return to the point. It is my long-term opinion that American medicine is dollar-driven and is in dire need of a total overhaul - ObamaCare not the slightest use until blatant and obscene greed is purged from the system.

Airborne Aircrew
29th Oct 2013, 00:20
Loose:

To return to the point. It is my long-term opinion that American medicine is dollar-driven and is in dire need of a total overhaul - ObamaCare not the slightest use until blatant and obscene greed is purged from the system.

Then we see eye to eye... When is the first Lawyer hunt scheduled for? Because that's the bloody problem.

obgraham
29th Oct 2013, 02:23
Years ago, I proposed a "National Kill a Lawyer Day", in which every doctor would be assigned one personal injury lawyer to murder. Sort of a massive Shakespearian plan to knock back the numbers. Now if it came to pass, there would be no way to incarcerate all the doctors in the country.

Sadly, few others agreed with my plan.

hamayam
29th Oct 2013, 12:59
As a comparison, I just signed up to the Swiss compulsory health care system .Monthly premium ( no questions about pre-existing conditions,etc, with a yearly deductable of CHF 2500 ) is $209 per month.

I left the US because I couldn't get ( realistic $$$ ) coverage at my age in 2002 after leaving a job with health coverage ............

I do like the lawyer " ideas ", could be applied to another " English speaking " country in the EU also........:ok:

arcniz
29th Oct 2013, 12:59
Sadly, few others agreed with my plan.

Seems absolutely Brilliant, OBG... perhaps that can be incorporated in one of the political party slates sometime soon... would be very popular, fer sure.

Solid Rust Twotter
29th Oct 2013, 13:06
That would be like turkeys voting for Christmas, the natural progression of law to politics being what it is...

Great idea though, although I prefer the French Solution to deal with the vermin infesting parliament.

Loose rivets
30th Oct 2013, 00:31
I'm looking for somewhere to live. It'll break my heart not to be with the kids I've helped to raise, but just can't take the risk of US medical bills any longer.

Switzerland? Mmm . . . last chance of living there would have been in the 60s. British Eagle had some kind of deal where some crews lived there and flew Swiss aircraft. Those that were canny enough to become nationals, were able to stay, but when the BAC 1-11 was out, and the DC9 in, the passportless folk were asked to leave. Tough old world.

Many years later I was flying for a Swiss outfit with a Swiss co-pilot. He told me he never expected to own his own home. I looked in the window of a realty/estate agent and could see why. In Geneva, a house like my Frinton Essex home would have been around 5 million quid. Just how do folk live in this world? Just don't get it.

bcgallacher
30th Oct 2013, 10:03
I spent more than 35 years working as an LAE in many countries and many different capacities.I kept a base in my home country that gave me a home to go to if I did not like the job I had at the time.My advice is to do the same - do not burn your bridges.Keep your family where your children can be educated and obtain good health care at no or reasonable cost. Only take employment that allows you lots of time at home and allows your family to visit - its good for the children to see other places.Make sure that you are paid a more than adequate salary!This all may sound a little optimistic but these kind of jobs exist - not as many as in the past unfortunately. I personally had a wonderful time,some very satisfying jobs,made money that finances my retiral very well,made a few good friends and reckon it was a more interesting life than most. Do not get caught up in the Rolex and Ferrari lifestyle - the big salaries do not last forever!

bedsted
30th Oct 2013, 14:19
I have to agree with Loose Rivets.

We too are also in the position of deciding where to live, being out priced by the US health costs, which is a great shame. Granted there are some subsidies but moving back to Europe (not UK), we will receive excellent health care but at around 5% of the US cost. Now why is that? Are the US doctors earning 20x their European equivalent or is it the hospital bosses and insurance companies that are raking it in? It seems strange to me but in my experience day to day living costs and salaries in the US average out roughly to Europe so why is health so damn pricey?:confused:

parabellum
31st Oct 2013, 00:17
bcgallacher - Surely, keeping a residence in UK available for yourself and family and paying UK tax must have negated the benefit of going overseas in the first place?

ExSp33db1rd - With a $10,000 bill to pay that sounds as though it may have been the policy excess? By accepting a large excess/deductible like that can reduce premiums by a lot but, of course, when it is time to pay the piper..............!

bcgallacher
5th Nov 2013, 20:32
Parabelum - with regard to tax liability - get a good advisor! I started off in the days when all you had to do was to stay out of the country,its a little more complicated now.

CathayBrat
11th Nov 2013, 22:00
Sorry for the delay in replying, small child, juice cup, computer etc....
So.
The entire medical profession in the USA is driven by the $$$. If I go with a cold, will I be subject to a multitude of tests, just to milk money out of the insurance company and to protect the Dr from the mal-practice lawyers.
If I am wrong, I look forward to being corrected.
Immigration.
Visa requirements. Does my family "tag on" to my visa, or will they have to get there own, and what are the opportunities for my wife (nurse) to get work, or must she start from the beginning.
Tax.
Is there a national level of tax, and what is it, or is it on a state level. I have been told about road tax in TX (v low), is this similar across the rest of the states with regard to the "added tax's".
Thank you for all the replies so far, we are both leaning to leaving the UK for a new life................

Two's in
11th Nov 2013, 22:40
Cathay - just do it.

Sure, the medical system here is screwed but it works for most people if you have (a) a job, and (b) the right coverage. If you have serious medical issues you might reconsider, but not every aspect of life is driven by healthcare discussions, only on PPrune is that the case!

The real advice is simple. Don't think America is just a part of the UK with a funny accent. It's probably more foreign than most countries you've ever been to, that's why you should try it. The good news is no-one is ever unsure about whether they like it or not - it's a definite yes or a definite no.

Year 1 - Everything is novel and entertaining, it's great fun.
Year 2 - You're still comparing how things were back in the UK.
Year 3 - You gain acceptance of all the differences and start to adjust.
Year n - The list of crap you ask your visitors to bring over for you gets smaller and smaller - but still includes Coleman's Mustard.

ChrisVJ
11th Nov 2013, 22:54
And Marmite.