PDA

View Full Version : Have I been Ripped-off ???

Superfly
9th Jan 2001, 00:29
Well, this all stuff is turning into a joke now.
I've decided to take my Distance learning training for the JAA Frozen ATPL with a very reputable school in Oxford.
I decided I would sart this training with the new year coming up and paid in advance a lot of money ( at least to me, >> £1750)for module 1. thinking that a month was far enough for them to send out the books and get myself into pace for the new year. The result is that after a month and a week I'm still waiting for my books !!! calling them wouldn't help that much as they can only say that the books have been sent a little bit late due to a mix-up in the parcels they were about to send ... and bla-bla-bla.....
This all stuff is getting on my nerves as they are unable to provide any feed-back or follow up about this situation. I now feel I've been fooled by some beautifull commercials in Aviation magazines and that I'm purely waisting my money and time with helpless people. If their operations department is as good as their admin office I'm very scared !!
Is any one of you in the same situation ? Shall I ask Oxford Air Training to give me my money back ?

aztec25
9th Jan 2001, 01:16
Compared to Bristol Ground School...
Spoke to Alex Whittingham who apologised in advance that I would have to wait two days instead of the usual next day service. They arrived as promised two days later!

The materials and service are both excellent.

a_random
9th Jan 2001, 03:27
Might this be the flying school I did not even consider, being efficient enough not only to have nobody to answer three phone calls but to completely fail to return my calls when I left a message?

motorhead
9th Jan 2001, 04:56
Random

They were just simulating being an airline. Replicates the job search.

motorhead

Skippymon
9th Jan 2001, 20:03
What's the minimum cost for ATPL ground school say distance learning?

Is there anywhere that does it for under a grand?

Superfly
9th Jan 2001, 22:34
Skippymon,

Have you checked 4 Forces ? I eard that the training is pretty cheap but pretty cr@p too. But maybe you have a better chance than me to get your books within one week. Eard on other threads that there is a million miles between what's in the books and the actual JAA exams. It's the rule of you get what you paid for, when you get it off course....
The 2nd act of "whatyougonna study in OATS?" >>> got 2 phone calls today from them saying I'll get the all stuff by tomorrow. Let's see.....

Token Bird
9th Jan 2001, 23:37
Four Forces is £1995. Bristol is £1900 (I think). Doubt you'll get anything under a grand.

Token Bird

Vmike
10th Jan 2001, 03:43
If you want to get the job done, go to Bristol Groundschool. Alex Whittingham is the main man and they don't take the piss on the prices. Good place, trust me!

jet jones
10th Jan 2001, 18:33
I empathise with you situation superfly...You finally get the dough to do the work and you dont get the books sent...Its terrible isnt it...email when you get them will you....I shall be dropping by to have lunch with you guys soon.

------------------
live to fly

tailscrape
10th Jan 2001, 21:02
Follow these simple rules:

Ring them one more time.

Wait for the usual flannel.

Tell them that if they don't get their a**es into gear you will be speaking to BALPA, IPA, Radio five live whoever.....that always does the trick.

Remember you are the customer and you deserve the respect not the other way round.Don't be afraid of making waves.....at least that way they know who you are.

Good luck ,but I bet you'll have to argue!

captainschlonger
11th Jan 2001, 03:33
Get used to it! This is the way airlines run day to day.

Wee Weasley Welshman
11th Jan 2001, 18:52
Yet another tale of a satisfied Bristol student - definite trend there guys...

JetP1
13th Jan 2001, 07:35
Superfly - I and many others at Oxford can sympathise with you. Many of us are on the Full Time Course (slightly more money!) and mo of us get the feeling that now we have paid (In Advance) that OATS are happy and that what the customer wants is not really relevant. Thank your lucky stars your not flying there as the organisation of this is not great.

ChampagneSupernova
13th Jan 2001, 21:22
You know those gut feelings you sometimes get when you think things just aren't quite right, and you're really pleased when you trust those feelings?

Sorry to hear about the s@"t you're having to put up with, but I'm glad I steered well clear of said school!

------------------
Do you Believe??

JBravo
19th Jan 2001, 01:30
Welcome to aviation mate. Get used to it....
http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/tongue.gif http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/tongue.gif http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/tongue.gif

Chirpy Pilot
19th Jan 2001, 01:48
Ex 509 student who paid in advance. When I finished my course they where still sending me incorrect invoices. Spoke to them several times and they blame a computer fault. Computer is only as good as the operator. A case of the left hand does not know what the right hand is doing. Last invoice I received was last month.

Grandad Flyer
19th Jan 2001, 03:03
If I had paid on my Barclaycard, I would ring Barclaycard and tell them that the company I ordered goods from has not delivered them and I want a refund.
Whether I had or hadn't paid on Barclaycard, I would call Oxford and tell them that I am leaving the country in two days time and need the books before then. If they cannot absolutely guarantee that they will be delivered then, I would ask for a refund to be sent immediately.
Always best to put these things on credit card, helps with the refund as it is instant.
Then go spend your money with someone who is interested.
As far as I see it, Oxford have broken their contract with you and you have been reasonable and therefore it is totally reasonable of you to expect an immediate refund. Don't be fobbed off, ask to be put through to accounts dept if you are expecting a refund by cheque or talk to someone high up in the company.
Good luck.

Superfly
19th Jan 2001, 05:53
Chaps,

Thanks for the numerous answers to my posting and the support, I actually got the books the following day, I know realise the power of PPrune ! long life to PPRUNE !!!!
I now have to go as the books are OUTRAGEOUSLY THICK.

JAY JONES > Yeah pop down soon, I have some interesting stories to tell you !

Happy flying to all !

alcock_and_brown
19th Jan 2001, 19:25
I think Grandad flyer has the right track.

Only use a credit card to pay then you can get someone with Muscle involved if the snivelling little creeps can't be bothered to do what you ask.

You tell'em

PS. Ive been paying less than 4% per annum on Visa for over a year an a half by tranfering my balance to a succession of card companies who want my business. I guess you can do it around 4-5 times before they get totally pissed off.It's probably the cheapest money around. Just got another junk mailshot today offering 0% on balance transfers for 6Months..... Well, it would be rude not to!

Beware though, some companies only apply your payments to the low interset portion of the account to any new borrowing costs more and doesn't get repaid until either the balance transfer has been cleared or the low interset period comes to an end.

Tiger Oneil
19th Jan 2001, 20:03
Just a word on the flying side at Oxford. Cannot speak for Kiddlington, but Gloucester (modular boys) are much more on the ball. They do not get into the admin side of things, they just seem eager to get you through as quick as possible. I couldn't fault the response from Gloucester when I visited, but the admin people (through whom you must go) where appalling. My reasoning was that I wouldn't be flying with the admin people so I should not let that cloud my judgement. They are pretty good at what they do in Glos, more expensive than most, but comparitive with BFC.

If you would be flying out of Glos then don't dismiss them due to your experience with admin so far.

Good Luck.

DHC Twin
21st Jan 2001, 07:27
This topic is I know very nearly at an end.
I went to Oxford in 1993 (Old git!).The books hadn't been updated since 1974 - true.However we were given handout after handout (or prece((spelling)) )! That includes AirLaw!!!!!!!

Oxford's one saving grace ----- The Instructors (then)...All Brilliant (but forget the books).All ex proffesionals.

DHC Twin
21st Jan 2001, 07:34
Whoops..'professionals'