PDA

View Full Version : Online Air Traffic Control...

JoshHall29
25th Oct 2013, 13:05
Good Afternoon,

I'm new to this forum but I have a quick question I'd like to ask. Some of you will be familiar with FSX, the programme which allows you to fly on your PC.I use this program to connect to an online network called 'IVAO' full on people controlling on flying.

On this online world there are also ways to do air traffic with a piece of free software. I use it all the time and it allows me to organise planes piloted by real people in front of there systems.Anyway those of you who are familiar with it, I would be interested to know how close to the real thing it is. Obviously there are some differences but I was just curious. I went up the tower of a UK airport this month briefly and it seemed pretty similar but obviously I would like to know from someone with more experience.

Thankyou,
Josh

(For those of you unfamiliar with IVAO here are the links:

Piolts: IVAO United Kingdom - New Members (http://www.ivao.co.uk/new/getstarted,pilot)
Contollers: IVAO United Kingdom - New Members (http://www.ivao.co.uk/new/getstarted,atc)

There the first link which are setting up pages are the start but if you look around Im sure you'll get an idea of it.)

PLovett
25th Oct 2013, 21:57
Josh, every year there is an event for the simulation world called "World Flight". The basic idea is for a group of flight sim enthusiasts to conduct an around the world simulated flight with the idea of raising money for ones favourite charity. In Australia that is usually the Royal Flying Doctor Service.

The flight is conducted using ATC provided by VATSIM participants, where possible from the countries been "flown over" but if that is not possible, then the organisers provide the ATC. A couple of years ago I participated in the "flight" when I was asked to stand in for one of the regular participants. Two of the sectors I did were controlled by VATSIM enthusiasts from the USA and they were some of the best controllers I have worked with including the real ones.

I have seen the software used by VATSIM and I have also seen the real thing. The virtual software is very close to the real thing in what it can do. This is a long way of saying that some of it is very close to the real thing.