PDA

View Full Version : I'm Curious to Know.....

Dak Man
24th Oct 2013, 16:38
.......for no other reason than curiousity itself, how did the non flying (or even Aerospace related) members find Pprune, what brought you here?

rgbrock1
24th Oct 2013, 16:41
My ex was flying back to England at the time and I did a search
On plane crashes and wound up here.:E

Ancient Mariner
24th Oct 2013, 16:42
Suffered from Fear of Flying, found Airdisaster.com, was pointed direction Pprune. The rest is history.
Per

Dak Man
24th Oct 2013, 16:45
Yey, RGB is back, welcome home :ok:

DType
24th Oct 2013, 16:57
Googled AF447 at the time, then felt at home since I worked in aero engine design and stress at RR (over 50 years ago!!), and even held the controls of various A/C as a CCF cadet, from Tiger Moth to Meteor and Vampire.

radeng
24th Oct 2013, 17:02
Was sent a reference to comments on Pprune about the way the sidetone is generated for Swanwick. As I was working on devices used in GPS, TCAS, DME, VOR etc, radar and EW, a natural interest.

Dak Man
24th Oct 2013, 17:03
As Capetonian might say RTFQ.

ExXB
24th Oct 2013, 17:32
Was being mobbed by some airline employees on flyer talk and One suggested I'd be happier here.

They were right.

mo_bhaiyat
24th Oct 2013, 17:32
Another apprentice mentioned it and it was only when I started googling aero stuff and pprune kept popping up I figured I'd join

rgbrock1
24th Oct 2013, 17:37
mo wrote:

only when I started googling aero stuff and PPRuNe kept popping up I figured I'd join

How admirable of you. Much better than googling ones own name. Which is extremely narcissistic and not at all admirable. :E:}

defizr
24th Oct 2013, 17:44
I was reading a forum about an air crash and someone mentioned that PPRune was the place to get sensible comment rather than conspiracy theories and general bolox so I came here and find it really interesting even though I don't work in the industry and only fly once a year. I do live just round the corner from Victory Road though :)

OFSO
24th Oct 2013, 17:47
There isn't a website for those of us who spent our lives working on low-earth-orbit satellites, so I lowered my sights by 200 kms and ended up here.

It's only a matter of altitude (and attitude !)

txdmy1
24th Oct 2013, 17:54
Sullenberger

Mach Turtle
24th Oct 2013, 18:01
I joined because I just love self-referential discussions, the more the better.

Mac the Knife
24th Oct 2013, 18:10
I have absolutely no idea

Mac

:cool:

probes
24th Oct 2013, 18:13
curiosity killed the cat, you did know that, didn't you? :E

As mentioned somewhere before, I got the link from my daughter (who found it on the BBC or somewhere, I think, or maybe something about the Flight Level 390 - a follower as she was) when we were trying to find some non-journalistic non-crap on the crash of the Polish presidental flight to Katyn... which seemed to make as little sense as the sinking of the Titanic. Or 9/11.
Not there, not then, not them.
Reading the thread made me curious about the language of aviation, which is linguistically used as an example of professional jargon (so-to-say) that has to be very clear, precise and understandable all over the world...
and here I am now.

Just for the wonderful people around here.

MadsDad
24th Oct 2013, 18:28
Madslad, who was just embarking on a career in military aviation, mentioned this site which had info on military flying. So I joined in.

And stayed well clear of the military flying bit after getting my wrists slapped.

structor
24th Oct 2013, 18:28
5 reasons:

1 I have had a lifelong fascination with aeronautical engineering and navigation

2 My brother-in-law was (now retired) a Senior BA Captain on 747-400 longhaul and from his stories I got a little insight into the life of a Pilot which generated respect.

3 I am an Engineer (originally Civil/Structural) and can understand quite a lot of the tech stuff.

4 I have had to spend a lot of time in air travel over the last 40 years and have seen the changes.

5 For many years I was very scared every time I flew. That fear was reduced in these last few years by knowledge from PPRUNE (but now in some areas increased!). Playing with MS Simulator also helped me understand some aspects and helped reduce anxiety.

Fareastdriver
24th Oct 2013, 19:08
And stayed well clear of the military flying bit after getting my wrists slapped.

So SFFP had a go at you too?

tony draper
24th Oct 2013, 19:15
I was seeking information on desiccated fruit.:rolleyes:

rgbrock1
24th Oct 2013, 19:15
structor wrote:

5 For many years I was very scared every time I flew. That fear was reduced in these last few years by knowledge from PPRuNe

Are you sure about that?! If you read one of the threads started not too long ago, and dealing with what pilots supposedly do on the flight deck, you'd never fly again! (And one pilot on the aforementioned thread went through pains to inform us, of the flying unwashed public, that he tends to read the newspaper on the flight deck. :eek::eek::eek:)

Mallan
24th Oct 2013, 19:21
I've been trying to get out of here for eight years. Matron! where's my sweeties. Matron Tony Draper is out of bed again

500N
24th Oct 2013, 19:24
I can't remember but I think I was looking something up on the Paras or The Falklands War and PPRuNe came up.

Anyway, glad I found it, some great guys and gals on here that make it fun :ok:

superq7
24th Oct 2013, 19:25
RG
When we were getting off the plane from Majorca last month my wife glanced into the cockpit and noticed Sunday papers strewn across the floor :=

rgbrock1
24th Oct 2013, 19:26
superq:

That doesn't mean the Sunday papers were being used to read. perhaps they were paper-training the FO? :}:}:} (Here boy, here. You make poo-poo here. Stay... stay... stay... Atta boy, good boy. Poo-poo on the paper.)

500N:

You weren't searching for anything to do with paras or the Falklands or anything of the sort. You were searching for the proper pink-colored tutu gown to wear as a Aussie SF girl!!!! :}:}:}

500N
24th Oct 2013, 19:40
RGB

And then I met you on here :O :ok:

And I found a Ranger who wears Pink Tutus, it all turned to crap !

rgbrock1
24th Oct 2013, 19:59
Hey Lone Ranger? Did you get your lunch money taken from you when in grammar school? Rolled for your wallet perhaps?

i mean, there must be a reason.

500N
24th Oct 2013, 20:04
Not sure what other think but one reason I like PPRuNe is the number of ex mil types on here and the banter that occurs. Very much like banter of old between units or as others have said, crew room banter.

It's good jousting with RGB, Lightning Mate, Airborne Aircrew
just to mention a three of the many.

:ok:

ShyTorque
24th Oct 2013, 20:31
Was being mobbed by some airline employees on flyer talk and One suggested I'd be happier here.

They were right.

Happy here? Crikey, you must have had a hard life!

11Fan
24th Oct 2013, 20:52
I work for the NTSB and found that we can save a lot of time and energy with aircraft accident investigations just by reading Rumors and News.

500N
24th Oct 2013, 20:57
11 Fan

:D:D:D

Very good.

Hydromet
24th Oct 2013, 21:07
Gurgled 'Rude limericks and erotica' and wound up here.

jimtherev
24th Oct 2013, 21:30
Started reading about BA038 and haven't left yet...

Super VC-10
24th Oct 2013, 21:34
A link from Wikipedia (later removed). Wiki doesn't count Pprune as a "reliable" source, but you guys sure post links to lots of reliable sources that can be used when writing aircrash articles. :cool:

El Grifo
24th Oct 2013, 21:59
Picked up a computer mag whilst passing through LGW in 2000 not long after being left a computer by daughter who was leaving the Island for UK Uni.

Pprune was listed amongst the 100 most interesting sites.

Being a lifelong Aerophile and an RAF reject, I logged on.

The greatest thing Pprune, or its members ever gave me, was multitude of information which finally led to my Son receiving a very complicated operation to remove an "abnormal venal malformation" or AVM from inside his spinal cord.

That is something !!

Thanks guys :ok:

dead_pan
24th Oct 2013, 22:03
I think I found the site when looking for info about the arrival of the first A380 at LHR - I was planning to take my boy along to witness a minor bit of aviation history. As it turned out, no-one knew anything (no surprises there then) - my boy and I ended up spending two hours trolling around the airport, then got stuck in traffic, and eventually only managed to glimpse said a/c from afar. The rest, as they say, is history.

In case anyone is doubting my credentials, I do have a career connection, having previously worked for 10 years+ for a small but perfectly formed aerospace/defence consulting co. I also have a full working knowledge of conveyor belts.

david1300
24th Oct 2013, 22:38
Always had an interest in aviation and human behavior. Those came together in the 70's when I first picked up a paperback on last words from CVR's, graduated to the Air Crash Investigation books and other reading. A few years ago saw a link here regarding FADEC issues, and have hung around ever since.

Was a time when Rumours and News was a favourite reading place, but hardly visit there now due to the noise/substance ratio just being too heavily weighted to noise.

Now I enjoy here (JB) as there is such a wide range of interests and knowledge; fun and sensible stuff. I don't enjoy the personal jibes and battles that some like to waste bandwidth on, but I have learned who to ignore. Have made some personal friends with some people with very different positions on some issues, and that's great - broadens the mind, they say.

G&T ice n slice
24th Oct 2013, 22:46
I have no recollection at this time

actually, one of my earliest memories circe 1954 was being a 4 yr old pax with mume & dade probably with PamAn en route to Miami. Then there were a host of other propper aeroplanes until the jets came in and it all got a tad same-ey and then there were the last 40-odd years doing a host of air-transport related stuff for which people actually paid me. I have the anorak.

And then I found JetBlast where a thread can go anywhere

I was seeking information on desiccated fruit

but actually, like Grand Admiral Drapes my first attempt located the dessicated fruits

macuser
24th Oct 2013, 23:29
For some reason googled the word "slasher"

mikedreamer787
24th Oct 2013, 23:45
I googled "the biggest arseholes in aviation"
and eventually ended up here.

Dak Man
25th Oct 2013, 00:51
What part on NON Aviation related people don't you lot understand?

500N
25th Oct 2013, 00:55
True, that is a good point.

But got lost somewhere on Page 1 :O

Lantern10
25th Oct 2013, 01:05
TBH can't really remember.
Most likely followed a link from somewhere.
Happy to have found it. Tend to pop in most days.

Worrals in the wilds
25th Oct 2013, 01:17
Firstly it's Jetblast and secondly the instructions were a whole page ago. ;):}

lomapaseo
25th Oct 2013, 01:22
Saw on other boards that some of the most prolific trolls on those sites had been banned from PPrune

Decided to try my luck

Cacophonix
25th Oct 2013, 02:24
Damn it man, my hands shook, I knew it was my last chance....

Thank you JB, thank you.... :\

Lord hallelujah...

The Lonely Goatherd ? The Sound Of Music - YouTube

Caco

TunaBum
25th Oct 2013, 02:34
Quote:
Firstly it's Jetblast and secondly the instructions were a whole page ago. http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/wink2.gifhttp://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/badteeth.gif

And thirdly you said NON flying not NON Aviation. It's a big industry...

:ok:

Cacophonix
25th Oct 2013, 02:39
And thirdly you said NON flying not NON Aviation. It's a big industry...

Probably trying to exclude those helicopter flying weirdoes...;)

Apocalypse Now Theme The Ride Of The Valkyries - YouTube

Caco

david1300
25th Oct 2013, 03:08
Firstly it's Jetblast and secondly the instructions were a whole page ago. ;):}

Actually :eek: this is page 3:= and the instructions were page 1 - 2 pages ago;) not that anyone :confused: is :mad: pedantic in JB :ugh:

Never pass an invitation :p to be a pedant :O and post smilies :):D

Cacophonix
25th Oct 2013, 03:30
Dave

Post a photo of an SA F1 event and you will f#cking make sense... (here it is broer) :ok:

******* Australians...

Caco

500N
25th Oct 2013, 03:42
Caco

"******* Australians..."

We know you love us, you sent your best and brightest
to this lovely country :O

Cacophonix
25th Oct 2013, 03:47
We know you love us, you sent your best and brightest
to this lovely country http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/embarass.gif

Damn it, they all moved to Perth!

You don't live in Perth?

;)

Caco

RAC/OPS
25th Oct 2013, 03:52
someone mentioned that PPRuNe was the place to get sensible comment

So there's a website with a similar name then?

Worrals in the wilds
25th Oct 2013, 04:55
David you are correct. :O
My bad.
Saw on other boards that some of the most prolific trolls on those sites had been banned from PPrune
:D
It's great when they use the same name on multiple boards though; makes them easy to spot.

The SSK
25th Oct 2013, 10:31
A long time ago but I probably landed here from one of the Usenet air transport/travel groups. (Usenet? WTF's Usenet?)

If you think that JB is bad you should visit rec.travel.air

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rec.travel.air/lSfqhsluZM8

MagnusP
25th Oct 2013, 11:32
Heard about the site from a family member who works in the industry. I was flying about 100k miles a year at the time, so had an interest. Since encountering on here some of the lads and lasses who fly me around, I've taken to flying only 2 or 3 times a year. Must be coincidence. :p

cockney steve
25th Oct 2013, 11:52
A R/C helicopter site referenced Cockpit Conversations....A Canadian Aviatrix making her way in the commercial Aviation world.......she referenced PPrune...Never looked back........well, I did Visit the Flyer forum(and still do) When Ghengis was temporarily booted.
A grand mix of serious, interesting, intellectualy -stimulating , factual and frivolous.

dubbleyew eight
25th Oct 2013, 12:12
A grand mix of serious, interesting, intellectualy -stimulating , factual and frivolous.

....and you'll never know which is which :E

Ancient Observer
25th Oct 2013, 12:32
A friend of mine was a fast jet test pilot at one stage in his life.

He only told me about pprune to tell me to avoid it. He thought that the Tech discussions had gone downhill.

I forgot to take his advice....... and I quite like aeroplanes, airports and so on. I foolishly worked in Aviation for about 4 years.

cattletruck
25th Oct 2013, 12:36
It only took me 8 years to finally venture into Jet Blast - I was afraid, very afraid :eek:.