PDA

View Full Version : Coastal Command Veteran Needs Your Recommendations

Agatha
23rd Oct 2013, 19:14
I regularly visit a 93 year old Coastal Command Wireless Operator veteran whose greatest love due to his failing eyesight is to spend his days listening in to the Tower and Radar Frequencies at Manchester Airport. Manchester Airport is about 5 miles from his home.

His current scanner is extremely difficult to tune and despite new batteries and my best efforts is becoming highly unreliable and indistinct.

He has asked me to help him research a relatively cheap but good quality replacement. Having done some research on the internet the Maycom AR108 Twinband 198 Channel VHF AM/FM Handheld Scanning Receiver at £58.50 (Amazon) looks like it may fit the bill.

Does anyone have a view positive or negative about me recommending this particular scanner or any other alternative suggestions?

Many thanks! :ok:

srobarts
24th Oct 2013, 10:38
One radio that might be worth looking at is the Sony ICF-2001D which is a multiband radio including Airband. There are four rows of each of eight memory buttons, so once programmed your friend could also use to listen to VHF stations and even some overseas short wave stations if that interests him.
There is one for sale on fleabay. RARE VINTAGE SONY PORTABLE SHORTWAVE RADIO ICF 2001D NO RESERVE | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RARE-VINTAGE-SONY-PORTABLE-SHORTWAVE-RADIO-ICF-2001D-NO-RESERVE-/190935883191?pt=UK_AudioVisualElectronics_PortableAudio_Radi os&hash=item2c74aa5db7)
I have one of these radios and it is a delight to use.

Agatha
24th Oct 2013, 13:26
Thank you so much - I think he'd love it as I suspect he'd prefer something older rather than something modern....

I really appreciate the advice.

Agatha