PDA

View Full Version : F-70 thrust reversers

tezzer
23rd Oct 2013, 08:05
Taxied out of Amsterdam on Monday, behind an F-70 where the port side clamshell thrust reversers were sill deployed, and can't for the life of me figure out why.

Any ideas ?

thetimesreader84
23rd Oct 2013, 09:50
I would guess (and it is just a guess) that it's to keep the speed down during taxi. With both engines in "fwd" (for want of a better term) you might find the pilot has to keep applying the brakes to slow down, leading to hotter brake temps and less energy for if they need to do an RTO.

Have seen the big gulfstreams do the same thing.

chevvron
23rd Oct 2013, 10:01
SOP for many twin (rear engine) bizjets; they use one reverser in preference to constant wheel braking. I often observed it at Farnborough as a runway 24 arrival approached North Apron.
The earlier F28s (before the -70 model) didn't have thrust reversers by the way, just a large 'clamshell' airbrake at the rear of the fuselage similar to the '146/RJ types..

Wycombe
23rd Oct 2013, 10:16
You used to see this a lot with Tristars, they would quite often be seen taxying with the No2 (tail) engine reverser open. Same reasons I guess.

SOPS
23rd Oct 2013, 11:23
Used to do it on the 737 200 as well.

Tu.114
23rd Oct 2013, 15:56
The Reader of The Times is correct.

When both engines are running, especially a light F-70 will accelerate even under idle power. Keeping one reverser open (preferably the L/H one, as the APU air inlet is on the R/H side; opening the #2 reverser might cause some exhaust ingestion and consequently nasty smells in the cabin) is a proven method to keep the taxi speed under control without riding the brakes.

Of course, with the current fuel prices, the preferred method today is single-engine taxi, although this is subject to the warm up (if I remember correctly, 2 minutes on the Tay 620-15) and cool-down requirements..