PDA

View Full Version : UK residency/work permit

C-141Starlifter
22nd Oct 2013, 05:54
Gentlemen,

some advice please.

I am American married to EU citizen. I have an EU work/residency permit. Have all EASA licensing and more than enough hours. I have been flying for European carrier since 2005.
Have a potential new position in UK however I am being told I need to get a UK residency/work permit. No problem, I will try to do with an agency and advice from a UK attorney.
My family is situated in Central Europe, home purchased in my name, kids in school, etc... Family is not in a position to move, no do they desire. Would I have to move family to UK to get the UK residency/work permit? I am being told this by one agency.
Anyone have names of reputable agencies that might help facilitate a UK residency/work permit?

doniedarko
23rd Oct 2013, 14:57
If you have an EU work /residency visa than why would you need a UK visa ...last time I checked the UK was part of the EU. !. Likewise if you are married than surely you are entitled to a czech passport giving you rights of free movement throughout the EU.

babotika
23rd Oct 2013, 15:04
I guess you have some sort of Schengen work visa, or the blue card? As the UK isn't part of the Schengen area and doesn't recognise said card you will need a specific work permit for the UK. The easiest would be the EEA family member rule but your wife would have to move as well. There may be other options with regards professional work visas but I can't advise on that.

C-141Starlifter
23rd Oct 2013, 15:33
Thanks,

I am considering the passport option but this is giant leap for me as I am retired US military receiving a pension. A US military pension is something of a retainer until one is 60 years old. Up to that point, a retiree is in US military reserve status, albeit a different category but still reserves. Another passport may put my pension in jeopardy. Still discussing though.

Trossie
23rd Oct 2013, 18:16
Avoid agencies and lawyers like the plague. Deal directly with UK Border Agency | Visas and immigration (http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas-immigration/).

If your EU citizen spouse was resident in Britain, which she is entitled to be, then you will be able to get an EAA family permit. If she isn't, you wouldn't.

On your own, I think you would not stand any chance of getting a work permit or residence visa in Britain right now.

There isn't anything such as an EU-wide work or residency permit as there are still countries, like Britain, that have their own rules for non-EU nationals.

('doniedarko', I don't think that you fully understand this whole 'EU thing'!)

giggitygiggity
24th Oct 2013, 01:32
Under European law, you do not need to obtain documentation confirming your right of residence in the UK if you are a national of a country in the EEA

However, if you want to support an application for a residence card by any of your family members who are not EEA nationals, you must demonstrate that you are residing in the UK in accordance with the Immigration (European Economic Area) Regulations 2006 and are 'exercising Treaty rights' in the UK. You are said to be exercising Treaty rights if you are:

employed or self-employed; or
studying; or
economically self- sufficient (meaning that you have sufficient funds to support you without requiring public funds); or
a jobseeker; or
retired; or
someone who has had to cease working in the UK owing to permanent incapacity.

UK Border Agency | Residence documents for European nationals (http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/eucitizens/documents-eea-nationals/)

If that helps. My understanding was that if you have a EU residency or ideally passport you are entitled to work without condition in the UK. How complicated would gaining citizenship in your current country be, if you have been there since 2005 I would assume you qualify?

C-141Starlifter
24th Oct 2013, 03:59
Giggity,

Thank you. Yes, i do think the passport from my host nation side would not necessarily be an issue. As I mentioned a few posts ago, my challenge with the passport route is my retired military status. The US may take issue with that. Still researching though.
I am looking at the LTD possibility which would be in my wife's name. Then the family permit option. On an airline trip now but more research next week.