PDA

View Full Version : realtime information about delays

dpconlan2011
21st Oct 2013, 19:07
Hi- apart from flightstats, (which only states the length of delay) and short of buying a receiver to pick up atc, is there an online system available for picking up reasons why a particular flight has been cancelled/delayed? I'm thinking BA in particular.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
21st Oct 2013, 21:32
I'm not aware of any such system. How about telephoning BA?

Capetonian
21st Oct 2013, 21:41
The arrival/departure boards and the GDS systems usually base their output on standard format TTY/AIRIMP MVT messages sent by the station. There's an explanation here :
The Dispatcher's Diaries: SITA Message Examples explained... (http://tinyurl.com/ogd5tcy)
Discrepancies can arise for various reasons.
The MVT message may include a delay code, for example head count discrepancy, unserviceable item, slot/ATC delays, boarding delay, or the eternal late arrival of incoming aircraft.

DaveReidUK
21st Oct 2013, 22:04
Hi- apart from flightstats, (which only states the length of delay) and short of buying a receiver to pick up atc, is there an online system available for picking up reasons why a particular flight has been cancelled/delayed? I'm thinking BA in particular.No, there isn't.

The SSK
22nd Oct 2013, 09:41
The industry standard departure delay coding system is here:
http://www.eurocontrol.int/sites/default/files/content/documents/official-documents/facts-and-figures/coda-reports/standard-iata-delay-codes-ahm730.pdf

Individual airlines might refine this list with subdivisions of certain categories for internal use.

There is no system in place for measuring/apportioning delays arising after pushback.

111KAB
22nd Oct 2013, 10:20
Thanks for that The SSK - Q. > Once the airline have coded in accordance with the listing who, if anyone, do they submit (CAA?) this listing to or is for internal purposes only? TIA

The SSK
22nd Oct 2013, 10:59
This is an industry tool. An airline's ops centre needs to know what is happening to its aircraft around the network. At many outstations they are being handled by third parties. When an aircraft departs, a message is sent back to the ops centre giving, amongst other items of information, the actual time of departure and reason for delay, if any.

Since this information is being relayed by handlers who are not necessarily the airline's own staff, and who may be handling flights of several different airlines, they need a common industry standard - hence the IATA Airport Handling Manual which is where these codes are maintained. They are not designed for passenger information or for regulatory purposes.

I suspect that we are not far from a scenario where a derivative of this system - or a completely new one tailored to consumer/regulatory requirements - is developed. That will be a number of years down the line though, and the airlines are only going to do it if they are legally obliged to.

111KAB
22nd Oct 2013, 11:33
Thank you :)

DaveReidUK
22nd Oct 2013, 11:48
I suspect that we are not far from a scenario where a derivative of this system - or a completely new one tailored to consumer/regulatory requirements - is developed. That will be a number of years down the line though, and the airlines are only going to do it if they are legally obliged to.I don't think we will ever see a system where airlines are required to disclose chapter and verse on delay/cancellation causes, but time will tell.

Hence my somewhat succinct earlier post. :O

dpconlan2011
22nd Oct 2013, 20:52
Thanks for your replies!

wiggy
22nd Oct 2013, 23:39
This may be of some use:

http://www.thebasource.com/