PDA

View Full Version : USB Charging, Vapourisers (e-cigs) and alcohol

SidT
20th Oct 2013, 12:21
Hi All,

*LONG POST WARNING* (sorry, I ramble on quite a bit)!

Firstly let me state a couple of things:

As a PPL I regard in-flight safety as paramount
Your aircraft, your rules!
I realise that CC do not make the rules but have to enforce them.
I hate rules that are applied inconsistently or are applied to the lowest common denomenator (sensible, resoponsible people get caught by rules designed for stupid people).
I appreciate that difficult PAX/SLF just make life terrible for CC!

I recently had the pleasure of flying to Crete on holiday with a well-known travel company that has recently taken possession of a shiny new Dreamliner and it was this aircraft we were allocated for our trip.... we were also invited (for a small additional fee) to upgrade to the "turn-left-on-entry" section.... which we did.

During the normal pre-flight announcements we were informed that our seats had charging points, but no heat-producing device could be charged using these devices. There was the usual no-smoking announcement, but no mention of the use of vapourisers (e-cigs).

During the cabin check walk-around, one of the CC told a passenger sitting next to me that he could not charge his e-cig (the look-alike version with an orange tip) from the USB as it was heat-producing and anyway he was not allowed to use his e-cig on board (which he hadn't attempted to anyway).

The passenger on the far side of him had plugged his iPod into the charger and this was not commented upon.

The "heat producing" rule....

I understand the potential safety risk from heat production (possible combustion/fire risk), however, the e-cig battery which was being charged is simply that. a rechargeable battery.... effectively the same as in any re-chargeable electrical device... all of which are capable of producing heat, combusting etc... so why was this device treated as a special case?

I have a feeling it was because it was related to an e-cig.

This inconsistetly applied rule is one of those that annoys me, sorry.

The "e-cig" rule....

When I enquired about the use of e-cigs, I was told that these were not allowed to be used on board because someone further back might see the "smoke" (actually vapour) and assume it was ok to smoke.

This one gets my goat a little (as an ex-smoker, user of vapourisers but follower of rules).

Telling someone that they cannot use one because someone else might think it ok to smoke a real cigarette is akin to me be told I can't drive my car (which is legal) because someone else might speed (which is illegal) or me being refused a drink because someone else might think its ok to get drunk.

I vapourise (use an e-cig) and would like to do so on board but accept that it is not allowed. Regardless of the reasons, I actually would not want to be the person next to someone using one that had to put up with a cloud of, albeit probably harmless, vapour drifting across me throughout the flight (this is what an irresponsible vaper might allow to happen).

and this brings me onto my final point....

I do not drink alcohol (except on vary rare occasions), but have frequently had to put up with intoxicated, verbally abusive (fortunately not physically abusive) passengers.... in the same way that vapouriser use is potentially anti-social (clouds of vapour), so is imbibing alcohol potentially anti-social (getting intoxicated, abusive, aggressive etc).

I believe that all acohol should be banned on board. I know that this will upset the "responsible drinkers" but why should they be given any more rights than the "responsible vaper" (one that doesn't allow clouds of vapour to drift across the person next to them)? :)

The trouble is that often those who get on their high-horse about someone using an e-cig are those that will happily get intoxicated on alcohol.

Thoughts welcome :)

Sid

vctenderness
21st Oct 2013, 08:22
The e cig argument has been done to death here!

The reason they are not allowed is simple and you seem not to have grasped it. On a full aircraft managing the passengers is a bit of a dark art. Smoking is banned but some mis guided souls still do it in toilets etc.

How would people know that the chap in front puffing away on his e cig was not smoking the real thing and light up?

When anti smokers see the passenger with his e cig they call the cabin crew and demand they stop smoking.

Lots of people have no knowledge or understanding of e cigs and think they contain same ingredients as tobacco so don't want them near them.

So when they first became common and after many incidents on board the airlines took the sensible approach and banned them.

I never get the connection between smoking and the drinking of alcohol it's true a very small number of idiots get drunk and cause problems on aircraft but the majority enjoy their glass of wine or G&T and harm no one.

SidT
21st Oct 2013, 10:52
I am sorry that I didn't realise the e-cig topic has been done to death here, I'm new around here and apologise for not using the search function sufficiently before posting (I will in future!).

I do indeed understand the rule and the supposed reson... and I am happy to follow it as I stated. I certainly don't want to make CC jobs any harder... I would not want to do this job, for which you must have the patience of a saint.

However, you seem to have completely missed why I believe that the reasoning behind the rule is flawed and unfair.

The rule punishes the sensible, intelligent (well semi-intelligent perhaps) person using a vapouriser just in case a stupid person suddenly thinks they can smoke a real cigarette.

As I said this is akin to saying "we are not going to let you drink (even though you might be ensible about it) because someone else might think its ok to get drunk (which happens obviously)... I don't see a ban on all alcohol coming in anytime soon.

Surely better to allow the thing that is legal and (arguably) harmless and punish the person that does the illegal and definitely harmful thing?

You make exactly my point in your last paragraph...
"a very small number of idiots get drunk and cause problems on aircraft but the majority enjoy their glass of wine or G&T and harm no one"

...if the rules for e-cigs were applied in the same way as for alcohol your sentence would then read...

"a very small number of idiots light up a real cigarette and cause problems on aircraft but the majority enjoy their e-cigs/vapouriser and harm no one".

We don't ban alcohol totally on planes exactly for the reason you give.... most people do it to a snesible level and harm no-one..... so why can't this same level of reasoning be applied to the vapouriser/e-cig point? Most smokers/vapers know they can't light up a real cigarette and take a different option that harms no-one.

I realise I am slightly playing devil's advocate here since I am ok with the ban, but I just hate being trated as a stupid person by being given a reason for a rule that is simply logically flawed.

Same applies to the USB charging issue... anything you plug in there is going to generate heat.. so this should not be used as the reason for selecting which devices may or may not be charged.

I would much rather simply be told "I'm very sorry sir, they are the rules that the airline (or CAA etc) imposes and since you are on their airplane, its the choice you make when choosing to fly with us".

Happy flying and continue doing a great job of policing the SLF!

Subnote; It will be interesting to see what happens if vapourisers/e-cigs become regulated as medicines as has been proposed... as then the airline would effectively be enforcing a rule stopping someone taking their "medicine".... possible Human Rights issues all over that one methinks :)

BlueTui
22nd Oct 2013, 07:30
The power points onboard are to power devices whilst being used, charging is prohibited as the build up of heat can cause fires, this doesn't tend to happen if the device is being used. As the e-cig cannot be used, the cabin crew was correct in what they said. Similarly if someone is found to be just charging a device such as iPod/laptop etc... This will also be challenged. If its plugged in, it must be being actively used.

All airlines I have used recently with USB or traditional sockets have this rule.

M-ONGO
22nd Oct 2013, 07:44
charging is prohibited as the build up of heat can cause fires

That's rich, considering it was on-board a Lithium Liner!

red zebra
22nd Oct 2013, 08:46
Cannot agree with you there Blue Tui, the amount of heat generated by an electronic device in use is a great deal more than if it is left simply charging purely because when on charge there is just a trickle current going to the battery, when the device is in use the main processor, memory, graphics processor and screen are all operating, all drawing a much higher current than when simply on charge and therefore generating much greater heat. Not blaming you but whoever came up with that idea got the maths wrong I think.
I also agree with Sid on the whole e-cig issue, I don't have the funds to turn left on boarding so I have to, on occasion, have to put up with drunken behaviour, yet those that want a quiet vape are not permitted as this may upset someone else. I realise this may now be policy but doesn't mean I agree with it.
As for CC, wouldn't do your job for a brass clock, just a shame your proper job of maintaining the health & safety of the cabin too often gets overlooked.

BlueTui
22nd Oct 2013, 09:38
It's the CAA you need to disagree with, along with several recent news articles relating to people/property injured or damaged whilst purely charging(not in use)
The CAA Document below (page 28) details the requirement, after extensive testing that charging alone is not recommended. Section 4.2.5

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAPAP2003_04.PDF

Man says iPhone 4 exploded while charging |Society |chinadaily.com.cn (http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2013-09/14/content_16969502.htm)

iPhone 4 allegedly blows up while charging | Technically Incorrect - CNET News (http://news.cnet.com/8301-17852_3-57401802-71/iphone-4-allegedly-blows-up-while-charging/)

M-ONGO
As for not following the above CAA recommendations just because it is a 787 rather than another aircraft is ludicrous.

Mr Optimistic
22nd Oct 2013, 21:46
Don't try using one on a coach on a UK motorway either.

givemewings
30th Oct 2013, 16:22
I read several times the words "responsible, intelligent" I think you fail to realize that many on boarding become neither of the above!

If you have ever flown on a foreign carrier you would quickly find that one pax puffing away on an e-cig will incite a veritable wave of the real thing being lit up...

As annoying and potentially scary as intoxicated pax are, I have not in my years of flying, ever seen one combust and start a major fire... At the end of the day, smoking is much more immediately dangerous to a safe flight than someone who's had a few too many sherbets...

David Bass
31st Oct 2013, 13:40
Forgive me for butting into the CC forum, but the concern with "charging only" as opposed to "charging whilst using" is likely to be the risk of poor power management in cheap chargers when rechargeable cells become fully charged. (For all practical purposes it is wise for an airline to consider all chargers of consumer grade equipment to be "cheap".)

It is easy for damage to occur to rechargeable batteries that are over charged, and the results can be spectacular in terms of smoke and fume production, and the battery fires that result are not easily extinguished.

The likelihood that a battery will be overcharged is higher if the device it powers is not being used, so having this rule reduces the risk.

An aside - the core of the original post seems to be that rules (laws) are made to fit the lowest common denominator. My comment - most everyone thinks that they are above average. On average, about half of them are wrong.