PDA

View Full Version : United 747 crisis

DancingDog
20th Oct 2013, 06:16
Ch 9 is predicting world war III, reporting that a United 747 is dumping fuel in preparation for a return to SYD.
The cause, a blown tire(s).

I'm no 747 jockey but I can't picture the thing doing an uncommanded barrel roll as a result of this failure.

On a side note, unless there's a risk to other systems why can't they just continue to the US and have a just as dangerous landing there and save the dump (chemtrails? :E )? I wouldn't know but I guess there's a reason.

DancingDog
20th Oct 2013, 06:28
Fair enough. I'll be interesting to see what this does to the runway.

ad-astra
20th Oct 2013, 06:30
The Pacific is a very lonely place to find out that some other systems have been affected by the tyre failure.
Not all damage makes itself evident straight away and the continued long flight may very well exacerbate a problem that is not yet evident.

Sydney beer is better than US beer.

AviatoR21
20th Oct 2013, 06:54
Can't say the girls are better!

20th Oct 2013, 08:10
Sydney beer is better than US beer.
and South Pacific salt water

Desert Flower
20th Oct 2013, 08:16
Yep, tracking graph shows it's done some pretty fancy flying off the coast!

DF.

who_cares
20th Oct 2013, 08:20
What doesn't the 747 haven't any feature to stop the wheels from rotating as they retract? That way can't damage anything in the wheel well from rotating wheeling and shredded rubber

Going Boeing
20th Oct 2013, 08:36
Who Cares, the damage is done when the tyre blows, not the subsequent retraction. When the sidewall bursts, the main section is flung with great force and, depending on which wheel blows, can do substantial damage to lower wing skin, flaps, fuselage skin, fairings and can sever hydraulic lines.

I have experienced one of these events, and I was impressed with how well the hydraulic plugs worked so that I still had all four hydraulic systems working despite 4 lines on the strut being severed by the force of the tyre failure.

PS. The B747 does have in-flight brakes.

Jack Ranga
20th Oct 2013, 09:07
Sydney beer is NOT better than US beer & neither are the women ;)

tyler_durden_80
20th Oct 2013, 09:21
Ok it's time to return to being serious...Sydney beer owns American p*ss water...but can't disagree about the women...but at least the Sydney women are better than Melbourne women.

who_cares
20th Oct 2013, 09:43
Oh yes talking of beers I had way too many when I posted to even think of the damage done when tyre explode or de laminated.
I guess that's why there is a zero blood alcohol limit. I really should just go to bed now.

DancingDog
20th Oct 2013, 09:57
http://i.imgur.com/FolhsD3.jpg
Source: Second hand pilot facebook page

maggot
20th Oct 2013, 10:22
tyler_durden_80 Ok it's time to return to being serious...Sydney beer owns American p*ss water...but can't disagree about the women...but at least the Sydney women are better than Melbourne women.

Its threads like this that cheapen pprune. Amatuers with no long haul experience chiming in like theyre experts.
If you have any REAL LONGHAUL time and appreciate beer youll know that the yankee craft beer scene kills ours.

Wally Mk2
20th Oct 2013, 10:32
Geeez 'Maggot" relax PPrune is what it is, cheap or otherwise-) We live in a free world (well now that Kev 07 is gone!!!:E):E:E as long as there's no malice directed to any one person here it's all fair game, apart from the Mods, they don't count:E:)

Wmk2

adsyj
20th Oct 2013, 10:32
Firestone Walker Brewing Company.

That is all.

Transition Layer
20th Oct 2013, 10:51
Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, yum. $12 for a 6 pack from the bottle shop in the Bonaventure LA and straight to the crew room to listen to old buggers talk shop and perv on the kiwi hosties. Good times! :cool:

P.S. Wally, I think maggot's tongue was firmly planted in his cheek! ;)

ANCPER
20th Oct 2013, 11:11
You should reread maggot's post, I'm pretty certain it was tongue in cheek! I was thinking similar until I got down to the LH and beer comment.

Sorry just seen the above post.

maggot
20th Oct 2013, 12:26
Oh im serious. Serious that the seppo beer is great! Not counting all the cornfed ****e that gives our vb/new a run... :yuk:
:E

tyler_durden_80
20th Oct 2013, 12:56
Can I suggest a Troegs 'flying mouflan' next time you're on the east coast?

Maybe we need a Craft Beer thread?

Toruk Macto
20th Oct 2013, 13:09
Pilots talking about how much they drink on overnights, on a public forum while drinking ! What could go wrong ?

haughtney1
20th Oct 2013, 13:31
Blue moooooon....

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f200/haughtney/image.jpg

Proper good US craft beer, great for the southern CA sun..:ok:

Luke SkyToddler
20th Oct 2013, 14:15
haughtney man it's a sign you've been in Dubai for a bit too long, when you start thinking it's normal to put orange wedges on your beer glass ...

Whaddya think Jake the Muss would say if he saw that :hmm:

MaydayMaydayMayday
20th Oct 2013, 15:15
Oh come on, Blue Moon hardly counts as a craft beer. :ok:

haughtney1
20th Oct 2013, 15:20
Luke..you can't get it in Dubai, and oranges are an intergral part of the brew..Mayday, of course it does, its just now got soooo popular all the micro/craft guys don't like that coors own the brand, still very craftish on my palate.

twotigers
20th Oct 2013, 16:27
Blew a couple of RH Wing gear wheels on a classic once.. Lost most of our hydraulics. Shredded a sh*t load of stuff in the wing root area.

maggot
20th Oct 2013, 21:20
Pilots talking about how much they drink on overnights, on a public forum while drinking ! What could go wrong ?

Nah mate, pay attention, this is about quality, not quantity!

And blue moon? Nothing but a cynical attempt at marketing to latch onto the craft wave. Like most of the 'craft' junk in liqourland; just a labeling exercise. But i digress; looks like the united crew did a good job! Kudos to the atc too, i hear it was pretty busy :ok:

Jacana
21st Oct 2013, 01:11
Remember Concorde??? Tyre debris can fling up severing hydraulic lines and other impact damage. Obviously you wouldn't continue on esp across the Pacific Ocean

Bumpfoh
21st Oct 2013, 13:10
Can't go past a Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA.
And at 7.2% alc/vol, it doesn't take many to start getting p1$$ed!!!:)

falconx
23rd Oct 2013, 16:57
Anyone see the damage; ended up being on the rims

500N
23rd Oct 2013, 18:27
Thread already running with photo ?

http://www.pprune.org/australia-new-zealand-pacific/525929-united-747-crisis.html

18-Wheeler
24th Oct 2013, 01:18
What doesn't the 747 haven't any feature to stop the wheels from rotating as they retract? That way can't damage anything in the wheel well from rotating wheeling and shredded rubber

They do - they automatically apply a little pressure to the brakes when retracting the gear to stop the wheels.
The problem is that with the tyres shredded they have chunks of crap spread out all over the place even when stopped so as the wheels go into the bay they can still damage things inside.
Had something similar happen to me out of Shanghai a few years ago, did quite a lot of damage to a lot of things.

http://www.billzilla.org/747tyre1.jpg

http://www.billzilla.org/747tyre6.jpg