PDA

View Full Version : "Unlicensed Mechanic". What are the pre-requisites??

Taffy_Apple
17th Oct 2013, 14:55
Hi all,
I am currently employed as an aircraft mechanic in the armed forces (UK) and currently looking to leave and pursue work in the air engineering sector in civilian life.

From what I can see my choices are to either get a B1.3/ B2 licence, or to apply as an unlicenced mechanic (avionic or mechanical). My question is...what pre-requisites are generally needed for a job as an unlicenced mechanic as I'm looking to get a job as a mechanic, gain experience on the airframe wilst studying for my B2 licence and then apply for other jobs. However, I can't find anywhere listing what qualifications I actually need to be an unlicenced mechanic.

Can anyone help??

I currently have 4 years experience on rotary wing aircraft, serving both in the UK and abroad, have an NVQ certificate for Aeronautical Engineering, and my personal task/log book for promotion to an Avionics supervisor, which is almost complete.

Any help would be of GREAT help!!

Many thanks.

Tech_Log
18th Oct 2013, 10:35
As far as I know there is no set criteria for unlicensed mechanics.
Generally at my carrier (BA) mechanics need some for of Apprenticeship or recognised trade qualification. Other than that i's just general experience in fixing things. I know guys who've gone straight from college into mechanic and others who hold a B license modules with x years experience.

I'd suggest staying and getting a license through the forces if possible but of course if you don't wish to, I'd say you're pretty set up already for mechanic.

Safe flying
Tech_Log

ericferret
24th Oct 2013, 11:39
You don't give any timescale for getting out. If you have the time then get the licence.
B2 engineers are like hens teeth at the moment. Your job prospects will multiply if you have the qualification. Have a look on the LRTT website. They have courses geared to the military.

itsresidualmate
27th Oct 2013, 18:09
I'm an ex-RAF licensed engineer. I went contracting for a couple of years immediately after leaving the RAF, learnt loads in those two years. Contracting is a handy route, you'll get all the agency phone numbers off aviationjobsearch.

Make sure your CV is good and relevant; lots of trouble shooting, component replacements, fault diagnosis. I wouldn't bother mentioning your ability to make a small group of holes in a target 25 yards away, agencies won't be too interested in that. Different aircraft, moving around different squadrons, all good stuff. Have you touched a TriStar or a 146 when you had a spanner in your pocket? Mention it.

You will need EWIS, Human Factors and fuel tank training, you can do this online at Bostonair. You will also need your own tool kit. If a permanent job, the company will train you.

I preferred the contracting route, in fact I still do it, because I can live anywhere.

Hangar work is usually Mon - Fri, line work usually 4 on 4 off or other combinations.

If you want a permie job for a start, I believe BA Glasgow are always looking.

Good luck!

Kengineer-130
28th Oct 2013, 22:21
I would go and ask for work experience at any airfeild that will take you, getting a few entries into your Cap 741 is really valuble, gets your time rolling on your civil licence experience requirements, and if you are lucky will give you an "in", as good mechanics/ contractors are hard to find.

Don't underestimate just how good the forces training is, it will really help you out, however don't underestimate just how different the civil world is, there are lots of very good engineers & mechanics out here who would knock a lot of forces guys into a cocked hat, so don't fall into the ex-forces mentality of being the best thing since sliced bread ;)

My other bit of advice would be as the poster above, get all your modules done while you are in, I used LRTT & did a full time course, but I was lucky that it fell across my terminal leave, resettlement & I also did 4 months unempolyed living off my gratuity, last few months wages and savings. Have you got any ELC entitlement left at all?

The other thing you will need is a decent quality tool kit, spanners, sockets from 3/16th- 1", pliers, snips, screwdrivers, hammers & the usual suspects. :ok:

If I can help you out drop me a PM with your number, I was in the RAF for 12 years and left in 2011, and am now licenced up with B1 & B2 working full time for a good company, and very glad I made the change!

NutLoose
4th Nov 2013, 11:21
Have a read of

From Low-life SAC to low-life connie!!! (http://www.airmech.co.uk/forums/showthread.php/6810-From-Low-life-SAC-to-low-life-connie)!!!