PDA

View Full Version : Stating POB on first contact with tower at a military aerodrome?

LongLats
17th Oct 2013, 14:18
I've heard many times that you need to state the POB when contacting tower going into a military aerodrome.

Does this rule exist? Can anyone give me a reference?

single chime
17th Oct 2013, 15:38
Mandatory in India and most of Africa...

bam160
17th Oct 2013, 17:39
Common practice in Germany.

Weekend_Warrior
17th Oct 2013, 17:54
Also New Zealand - not long ago heard a USAF C130 give POB to Ohakea
Tower. It is compulsory in NZ for all aircraft to give POB to ATC on first contact .

Aussie Bob
17th Oct 2013, 18:24
I think he is asking for a reference here in oz. like what happens if ya say "mind your own business".

Mail-man
17th Oct 2013, 19:27
I've always wondered what to say when carrying corpses..... My favourites are hearing rfds adding to theirs though....

VH-XXX
17th Oct 2013, 20:01
It seems to make sense that you are about to enter a military facility and therefore they want to know how many visitors they are about to receive.

There is therefore unlikely not a civil rule for this. Their airport, their rules!

blah blah blah
17th Oct 2013, 20:12
I've always wondered what to say when carrying corpses

"10 POB, 8 souls"

RFS need to know how many were alive when you arrived.

Defenestrator
17th Oct 2013, 20:18
Mail-man,

I believe the correct terminology is Natural History Specimens.

D

Ascend Charlie
17th Oct 2013, 22:25
Flying the Polair machine into RAAF Richmond many years ago after winching a dog handler and his mate off a cliff, I was asked for my POB.

I repled "Three pee oh bee and one dee oh gee." She didn't reply straight away, but then got the idea.

Nautilus Blue
18th Oct 2013, 06:09
I've always wondered what to say when carrying corpses..... My favourites are hearing rfds adding to theirs though....

I once got "POB 2, one alpha, one delta".

Least favourite is RFDS downgrading priority mid-flight.

Daqqy152
18th Oct 2013, 06:13
If i remember the story correctly, the reason its required in nz is an aircraft went into the drink at Auckland international. They sent the hover craft or what ever they were using out but left some people behind. After that it was required to tell ATC POB

C-change
18th Oct 2013, 11:20
Try AIP ENR 1.10 3.5 POB

morno
18th Oct 2013, 12:25
I think the point the original poster is making, is why does say for example, Townsville Approach require you to tell then your POB, when you told Brisbane Ground 2hrs ago your POB on taxi?

morno

kraznyoctbyar
18th Oct 2013, 12:32
I've always wondered what to say when carrying corpses (to quote Mail-Man)

I used to be a S61 pilot in the RMAF. When we're flying human remains, we'd normally call, POB XX + 1 (1 being the human remains).

Eversmann
18th Oct 2013, 20:04
explanation I've received and overheard from DN/TN is that they don't receive all the flight details from airservices. Hence they know basics, ARR/DEP etc but no POB

Weekend_Warrior
19th Oct 2013, 05:56
Daqqy152 is correct. I think it was the f27 accident. 2 crew and also 2 company employees. As it was a ferry flight there was no record of the passengers so no one knew to rescue them. From memory they both died. Crew lived.

C-change
19th Oct 2013, 11:41
Sorry morno, re read the orginal post.
The two ATC systems (ADATS and TAAATS) don't talk very well to each other. Using your example, when you taxi at Brisbane your POB is entered into an electronic flight data record. The Air Services (TAAATS) electronic FDR cannot be seen by Townsville Approach, so they'lll ask you for your POB once your transfered to them. Thats then passed to TWR. Thats the same for all MIL TCU's (Pearce may be an exception as they use TAATS). When both ATS providers are all using the same system down the track one day this will probably become a thing of the past.

19th Oct 2013, 12:25
Best reply is;

"Request POB"
"Standby, I check"
A few seconds later
"One POB"

Ex FSO GRIFFO
19th Oct 2013, 13:02
You're a 'Bad Man' no.6......

Luv it...:ok::ok:

Those of us who read this & who remember a Grand Old Gentleman who would taxi out at KG with
"2 POB, me and me dog"....

Good Ole Days....:D

Ex FSO GRIFFO
19th Oct 2013, 13:32
The same Mature Gentleman came into the FSU one day, hauled himself up onto the stool at the briefing counter, tipped back his 'Very' well worn bush hat, smiled his very best smile, and delivered the news......

"Well, He He, I've got some good news, and some BAD news for youse Fellas,
He He.....
The good news is that I celebrated me 82nd birthday yesterday.....
The BAD news for youse (sic) is that 'they've renewed me licence for another year'......
And again, as he taxied out...

"2 on board, me 'n me dog"...

LUVLY Times...:ok::ok:

kaz3g
20th Oct 2013, 12:00
Ascend Charlie said: Flying the Polair machine into RAAF Richmond many years ago after winching a dog handler and his mate off a cliff, I was asked for my POB.

I repled "Three pee oh bee and one dee oh gee." She didn't reply straight away, but then got the idea....

I had a rough running engine flying south from Tennant Creek to the Alice and called up Melbourne Centre to tell them. I had my dear old Kelpie in the back seat (yes, I have a CASA permit to fly for her) but she's not much use with an engine failure.

The female operator asked how many pob and I replied "one person one dog".

She queried:"is that 2 pob?"

"No. One person one dog".

Loud shriek...."Is the dog alright?"

Kaz

parabellum
21st Oct 2013, 04:09
Was told it is so they know how many bodies to look for if you crash. Some military fields calculate landing fees including a factor based on POB so that would be another reason.

LongLats
23rd Oct 2013, 12:49
Best reply is;

"Request POB"
"Standby, I check"
A few seconds later
"One POB"

That's hilarious.

Mafian
5th Dec 2013, 06:45
parabellum says: ...Some military fields calculate landing fees including a factor based on POB so that would be another reason.

The military themselves do NOT charge landing/ATS fees. They don't even charge you extra if you want to shoot an ILS at one of their aerodromes. That is why many civil flying schools etc like travelling to Richmond or (not for much longer) Oakey for example to conduct a practice ILS etc as they don't have to pay for it, only the terminal fees etc at their departure aerodrome and/or for the AsA controlled segments of the flight. The ADF do it all for 'free' (to the flying customer that is, however we all pay for it in some way if you pay tax!). The landing charges for the joint user aerodromes are charged by the civil area of the aerodrome for upkeep of the civil terminal/provision of safety officers (if AsA safety officer) and any other civil support networks at the aerodrome for example the AsA fire services at Townsville. These are charged by AsA etc, not the ADF.

The POB is basically to know how many fire trucks/ambulances/emergency level (1, 2 or 3 which is all based on POB) to declare in the case of an accident. Plus it also allows the emergency services to know exactly how many people they have to look for.

Cessna 180
5th Dec 2013, 13:40
Found it amusing at TL a couple of months ago when parked about 100 metres from Bowser.

Request taxi to fuel pump please.

Received very curt reply. State POB.

bankrunner
5th Dec 2013, 20:34
The POB figure helps ensure that rescuers go looking for you amongst the trees 100m from the aeroplane if you go in. It's not uncommon for crash victims (including survivors, who die later) to be missed during a rescue, either because they were buried amongst the wreckage or they were thrown great distances from the aircraft when it hit.

There's also been cases where an entire aircraft has initially not been noticed in a prang, such as when that 737 landed on top of a Metro as it was lining up on the runway at LAX some years ago. Nobody knew the Metro was involved until firefighters found a propellor amongst the "737" wreckage :E

Metro man
5th Dec 2013, 22:16
I flew into an Asian airport yesterday with military controllers, and was told to check "wheels down and locked" when given landing clearance. Do the military in Australia still do that ?

Defenestrator
5th Dec 2013, 22:48
Only for military aircraft Metro Man......I think.