PDA

View Full Version : 737NG Meters selection

WJAPilot
17th Oct 2013, 04:44
Ok on my 737Ng where i currently work - on the FCP i can select Meters so I can see it on my PFD but the altitude selector still will only dial in feet (rounded to the hundreds)

Do other companies versions of the 737NG have the ability to dial in meters directly into the FCP?

Ie given a clearance to 900 meters on a departure clearance ... 2952ft

whats the procedure if you cant put 900m in the FCP - round up 3000?

Haven't flown in a meters environment and any info would be appreciated.

Chocks Away
17th Oct 2013, 09:55
The MCP Alt selector can only be utilised in feet, so accordingly you switch it out of "1000's" for more accurate foot selection.
Airline SOPs may vary but generally, on receipt of your assigned Metres Altitude, the PF rotates the MCP Alt knob while visually verifying what they have set on his PFD Alt window. The PM after referring to a "Feet vs Metres Ref Card" (usually company provided), cross checks the metres/feet & calls the Feet equivalent Altitude & confirms it is what the PM has set in the MCP Alt window.
In practice it runs concurrently & smoothly, if the other pilot is listening/understands the ATC language, which can be quite tricky. :-)
A sound SOPS/cockpit process is key, as its got the potential to go FUBAR very quickly, given that track offsets (1nm - 8nm) are also used in these dense traffic areas.
Same on all Boeings I have flown.
Not sure about Scarebus, not had the pleasure.
Happy landings :-)

de facto
17th Oct 2013, 19:01
900m is set on the mcp as 3000ft
You need conversion tables and once you have operated a while with meters
a cross check on the pfd is sufficient.
Again,airlines have their specific sops on the subject.

Wizofoz
17th Oct 2013, 19:15
Why not just read the meters and set feat?

'Cause in a Western Aircraft, the mode C transmits in feet, and ATC use the same conversion table as printed on the charts.

I have been ordered by Chinese ATC to alter my level by 100', from the one that EXACTLEY matched the Meter Level I was cleared to, to the one his (and my) chart SAID corresponded to that level!!