PDA

View Full Version : Cranwell Flypast

Stendec5
16th Oct 2013, 19:18
I don't know if this has been done before as I'm new. But does any video
footage exist of a low-level flypast by two Phantoms at Cranwell in (I think)
1987?
They apparently flew very low and caused quite a stir

BEagle
16th Oct 2013, 19:58
But does any video footage exist of a low-level flypast by two Phantoms at Cranwell....

Yes, it does exist. It used to be shown to those attending the Flying Supervisors' Course.

I don't think it's in the public domain, however.

Lima Juliet
16th Oct 2013, 20:12
I concur with BEagle

It was covered on PPrune before - 97 Initial Officer Trg Cse graduation...

http://www.pprune.org/military-aircrew/134346-97-iot-fly-past.html

MightyGem
16th Oct 2013, 20:41
Here's a "Spectacular" flypast at an RAF graduation. :hmm:
Spectacular Flypast at RAF Graduation Ceremony - YouTube

and here's a picture of the original:

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/TPC/Funny_Pictures/0001-1000/0001-0100/0090/lowflyf4the-shop.jpg

BEagle
16th Oct 2013, 21:04
That F-4 photograph was taken at RAF St Athan, it is emphatically NOT a photo of the RAFC Cranwell graduation.

The video clip, including the poorly behaved spectators :rolleyes: was taken, I think, at RAF Halton?

ShyTorque
16th Oct 2013, 21:04
I previously understood that the latter picture of the F-4 was taken at St. Athan, not Cranwell.

hanoijane
16th Oct 2013, 21:10
There used to be a highly unofficial 'how low can you go' competition just off China Beach, between what you'd know as Monkey Mountain and Hoi An. As there are a number of tourist hotels located along this strip, the idea was to show the foreign running dogs how truly amazing we were.

AFAIK, the game is still running, albeit at a scaled down level. If you're interested, you'll need to get up early. Show's normally over by 6:30 am.

Which reminds me... rapidly putting on power close to the ground straight and level seemed to unsettle a '21 awfully, to make it want to tuck its nose. Does any amazingly talented aerodynamicist have any idea why? I alway suspected it was something to do with the CofG, but technical matters were beyond me. I just pressed buttons, moved the stick and stuffed chocolate under my mask.

Rhino power
16th Oct 2013, 23:33
The story behind MightyGem's erroneously attributed F-4 pic... :ok:
Phinal Phlight! (http://www.airsceneuk.org.uk/oldstuff/wow/wow.htm)

-RP

Tashengurt
17th Oct 2013, 06:53
That graduation clip with the whooping and whistling is definitely Halton.
Does nobody do dignified appreciation anymore?

Posted from Pprune.org App for Android

Wensleydale
17th Oct 2013, 07:03
Does nobody do dignified appreciation anymore?

Not since the "X-Factor" became a contribution to military pay.

chopd95
17th Oct 2013, 10:19
Following the various links, how sad that the Cranwell parades are but a shadow of former times. Smartly and well done of course - but numbers of cadets? Formation flypast in graduating entry number?
Ah well....

teeteringhead
17th Oct 2013, 10:51
Even got a JP 9-ship at Syerston when I got my "gutter entry" Wings from a one-armed 4-star! ;)

But not anywhere near as low as the F-4s! :eek: (I've seen the vid)

chopd95
17th Oct 2013, 12:49
Teeters,
Assume you refer to the August pedestrian?

More lookout
17th Oct 2013, 13:07
I seem to recall "the Flypast" at Cranwell, resulted post bollocking with the pilot concerned taking up the post of boss of the JP low level Nav training unit IRRC:cool:

teeteringhead
17th Oct 2013, 15:51
Teeters,
Assume you refer to the August pedestrian? ... the very same!! :ok:

MightyGem
17th Oct 2013, 19:41
That F-4 photograph was taken at RAF St Athan,
Thanks. I may have known that, as it is a hangar in the background. :O

Mal Drop
17th Oct 2013, 21:00
I was the cadet in charge of No. 2 Flight of the graduation that day (be tall and a bit shouty, wave pointed stick and hope others are following duties). It was forecast to be v. gusty so chinstraps were worn down (which also countered the poor fit of quite a few SD hats - they were supplied under contract and only delivered a few days before amongst rumours that we might have to graduate in berets).

The final pass was the one that made things interesting. A large number of hats were blown off (including the cadet Parade Commander's) and one of the RAF Regt Flt Sgts picked up the first hat he saw, slapped it on the recently liberated and tousled locks of aforesaid Parade Commander such that he was appropriately dressed to give the order to march off. The slight snag was that the hat (grabbed at random from the many now redistributed around the area) was not well-matched to the cranial circumference it was now embracing and tilted forward and down to the extent that forward vision was now a fond memory.

The result was a slightly creeping-line-ahead pattern march toward CHOM with me (with a hat size too small rendering it essentially welded to my head) giving slight course corrections and a countdown to the steps.

Talking to one of my flight later, he noticed that the earlier 'full dirty' pass had the arrestor hooks down which apparently was verboten. About 20% of the graduating personnel's hats were left on the Parade Ground after we had made our way into CHOM and there was a wailing and gnashing of teeth from the Directing Staff (we heard the saluting dias was lifted - complete with understandably quite peeved Reviewing Officer - by the afterburners). My mother who was one of the spectators lost her hat (never found) but declared it all a great success having not realised that anything was actually amiss.

Happy days...

500N
17th Oct 2013, 21:04
"and there was a wailing and gnashing of teeth from the Directing Staff (we heard the saluting dias was lifted = complete with understandably quite peeved Reviewing Officer - by the afterburners)."

I would have thought at his level, after doing so many of these types of parades that a bit of a difference would have been welcomed ?

Wander00
17th Oct 2013, 21:20
Come on - SOMEONE must have the video................................

ShyTorque
17th Oct 2013, 21:39
I seem to recall "the Flypast" at Cranwell, resulted post bollocking with the pilot concerned taking up the post of boss of the JP low level Nav training unit IRRC

I can vouch for that. "Tommy" was indeed sent to Finningley.

newt
17th Oct 2013, 22:10
Tommy....... That deaf dumb and blind kid!!!

And before you all start.......its in a song!!:ok:

Geehovah
18th Oct 2013, 05:52
I'm so glad I handed over as Duty Auth on the ops desk at the OCU before the phones started ringing that day.

MightyGem
18th Oct 2013, 18:46
I'm so glad I handed over as Duty Auth on the ops desk at the OCU before the phones started ringing that day.
So you must of auth'd the flight then. :E

Stendec5
18th Oct 2013, 19:09
Amen to that. I read about this in a couple of old news clippings and became
intrigued by it. Thanks for all the replies and information. Great stuff.
(I'm sure the late Mr Bader would have approved).

Geehovah
18th Oct 2013, 20:16
So you must of auth'd the flight then.

It was self authorised in the formation on the OCU.

ShyTorque
18th Oct 2013, 21:44
(I'm sure the late Mr Bader would have approved).

He wouldn't have had a leg to stand on...

(sorry but someone else would have writ that if I hadn't).

1771 DELETE
19th Oct 2013, 20:29
While Nav training at Finningley, i regularly had the pleasure of flying with Tommy. Actually very enjoyable but he always wanted to visit some stable belonging to friend, which for a baby Nav trying to keep on time and on route was a bit disconcerting. He took me there so often, i started to plan it into every flight when i knew he was my pilot.

Airbrake
20th Oct 2013, 14:15
Can somebody please post a link to the video or scan a still image. I was on support Sqn that day and haven't seen it since then over 25 years ago.