PDA

View Full Version : Questions

honest_phil56
16th Oct 2013, 18:55
I would like to ask you your opinion about landing systems:

Here are the questions:

1) What do you think are the disadvantages for the ILS?

2) As a pilot have you ever had, any problems with the ILS when landing?

3) What do you think are the disadvantages of the ILS? (regardless of the category of the ILS system)

4) What improvements do you think could exist in the future for landing systems?

5) Have you ever heard of GBAS systems (System Ground Based Augmentation?
Thank you very much for your time.

Denti
17th Oct 2013, 15:15
Question 1 and 3 are kinda redundant, right? Apart from that:

1),3): Of course the need for large protected areas, as well as the need for a full installation for each landing runway with the assorted maintenance and backup systems. Not to mention that ILS systems only offer a straight flight path and not more modern stuff like curved approaches and different approach angles in one approach.

2) Not really, however that does mean at times to disregard the pointers for a short time when the ILS is affected by a preceding aircraft or other vehicle.

4) Well, I guess your questions aim at GLS or GBAS approaches and those of course offer advantages.

5) Yes, and flown a few of course.

honest_phil56
17th Oct 2013, 23:23
Thank you Denti, I do appreciate you took the time to answer my questions.

Have a nice day.:)

Jwscud
18th Oct 2013, 03:01
Glideslope scalloping can be a big problem with the ILS.

The glideslope oscillates up and down, and the aircraft tries to follow it. It happened to me on glideslope capture somewhere in France, and the aircraft just pitched straight up to 6° and the speed was washing off before I disconnected and made things a bit more sensible.

It is normally terrain related, and known to happen at particular airfields.

Denti
18th Oct 2013, 05:19
Indeed that happens as well. Nice example is malaga which offers a GLS approach as well and if you compare both (GlS on one side, ILS on the other) the difference is quite remarkable, the GLS is much smoother, no scalloping, no beam bending when another one takes off on the same runway.