PDA

View Full Version : Australia based pilots flying for CSA

WJAPilot
15th Oct 2013, 18:46
G'day gents

Canadian pilot here currently screening for CSA dec 77/87 positions with promises of YVR and LAX base opportunities.

These bases have yet to be filled or created but I understand MEL base or other Aussie bases are currently being fostered and guys are working thru reverse rosters there.

I'm looking for some information based on

1) current work conditions - not pay but the day to day atmosphere of the place
Treatment enjoyment etc

2) what your rosters/schedules look like with the mode B aust based schedules -

I'm well aware of all the negative issues about flying in china - I'm looking for direct input from those currently on this contract

Please PM or respond here -

Best Regards and Safe travels

WJP

woodja51
16th Oct 2013, 00:50
I am current 330 captain last 12 months CSA...

screening... Tough to get in... Think of great wall of china.. Hard to get over , great on the other side...

Once thru... Job... Excellent... Just finishing 10 days straight off at home before a week trip to GZ - CDG and back to MELB ( home)

Generally, about half month at home in bits and pieces... Some times trips as short as up in the morning, back the next night... Some times ten days away especially in sim months... We are working on that ...

money, great... Tax free in OZ ( will be different other places) ..

Staff travel .. Limited... not as good as EK by a long way... But then you cant get on EK they are so full!

Other guys you fly with ... All pretty friendly... Inexperienced FOs but so what?

four pilot crews for 7:30 flight GZ- PER... So sleep half the time of the 80 hour month anyway!!

A bit of annual leave , sick leave , easy work.

Management take you to lunch, dinner etc .. You,get ISSUED sunglasses...( not great quality but hey, never had that before!!)...

good luck with the screening...

See you up there..

WOodja

ForkTailedDrKiller
16th Oct 2013, 01:47
money, great... Tax free in OZ ( will be different other places) ..

How can that be, if you live in Melbourne and call it "home"? :confused:

Surely a loop-hole in need of closure! :E

Dr :8

grrowler
16th Oct 2013, 04:58
Saying the income is tax free is probably a bit misleading, and may raise ATO eyebrows. Chinese income tax is indeed paid by the airline on behalf of the contractor and due to a tax treaty between the countries doesn't get taxed again, or only the difference needs to be paid.
AFAIK :)

WJAPilot
16th Oct 2013, 05:52
Thanks Woodja

Much appreciated that certainly sounds better than the 20days away a month I was envisioning.

Im hoping the YVR base brings the same sort of schedule ( assuming I pass)
its a 14hr trip across the pacific YVR to CAN. so a couple of those a month should do fine.

Tell me do you end up staying there doing domestic flying at all ?

Cheers

J