PDA

View Full Version : EK A380 Taxi Mishap - YBBN 14/10/13

Brisbane_Refueller
15th Oct 2013, 08:41
Bit of a whoopsie from an EK A380 last night operating as EK435 BNE-DXB.

Was cleared to taxi to the A1 holding point for RWY19 via B, but somehow ended up missing the right turn onto B1 & continued straight onto taxiway D which is a different width & weight classification than taxiway B.

I hear she ended up taking out some taxiway edge lighting and tore up the pavement a bit. Took a bit of an effort to push it back onto B!

Funny how this one kept hush hush & my colleague in TSV wasn't aware of it either!

The Brisbane Refueller

deadcut
15th Oct 2013, 09:00
Don't they have like a moving map when taxiing?

Capn Bloggs
15th Oct 2013, 09:21
Don't they have like a moving map when taxiing?
Pleae advise what piece of equipment is "like a moving map".

Don_Apron
15th Oct 2013, 09:28
Oh dear.

Another FD crew out of a job? Probably.

Incident on your record? Then you're unemployable these days.

I would prefer to have someone on my books that has had an incident or two. It's the people who have never made a mistake that worry me. First mistake can be their last?

Most of it is down to poor and penny pinching training.

43Inches
15th Oct 2013, 09:29
Does the A380 not have this or similar?

Airport Moving Map - Jeppesen (http://ww1.jeppesen.com/industry-solutions/aviation/commercial/airport-moving-map.jsp)

VH-ABC
15th Oct 2013, 09:29
We saw the red and white cones there this morning, and assumed it was just more taxiway/drainage/carpark/foodcourt (anything but a new runway) works.

Buttscratcher
15th Oct 2013, 09:36
Maybe they were trying to drive to DXB?

SMOC
15th Oct 2013, 09:42
A380 Airport Map.

Photos: Airbus A380-861 Aircraft Pictures | Airliners.net (http://www.airliners.net/photo/Air-France/Airbus-A380-861/1823064/L/&sid=f71b4994ec43bd7e043a5c5c2115d2cf)

Trent 972
15th Oct 2013, 09:51
Onboard Airport Navigation System (http://www.thalesgroup.com/Portfolio/Aerospace/Aerospace_Product_OANS/) (OANS)
Butts, Taxiway D does not go to DXB.
It goes directly to purgatory.

CaptCloudbuster
15th Oct 2013, 10:14
I've been told an ex QF Chief Pilot did the same trick....

There but for the grace of God go I and all that.:oh:

megle2
15th Oct 2013, 11:13
Welcome to the Brisbane Refueller
A380 initial post, impressive start

Edit spelling only

Cactusjack
15th Oct 2013, 11:16
Wonder what additional charges BAC will now place on all operators due to this incident? A 'pre taxi' charge just in case someone takes out some lights once or twice per year? $0.65 per pax should square that off nicely.
And I wonder what BAC are charging for the repair work? $3,000 per hour spread over let's say 120 hours of streeeeeeetched out repair work?

Cactusjack
15th Oct 2013, 11:19
Hmmm, Townsville refueller has a much better ring to it. Has ol mate transferred to Brissie? Hence the new identity?
Besides the Townsville refueller would have known about the incident a day before it even happened, he is pretty damn good!!!

Buttscratcher
15th Oct 2013, 11:22
Indeed that road doesn't go all the way...... But maybe they can litigate against TomTom or whatever electronic road map is fitted to the 'Bus. Remember that turkey who tried to sue Navmaster or whatever for driving off a pier.

Brisbane_Refueller
15th Oct 2013, 11:35
Thanks for the warm welcome guys. As you know its a tough job pumping gas into the big budgies but I keep my ears to the ground when it comes to gossip, as my good mate in TSV told me, never let the truth get in the way of a good yarn!

Till the next time!

The Brisbane Refueller

Jack Ranga
15th Oct 2013, 11:39
Rest assured, THERE WILL BE NO REPORT SUBMITTED, to do so would be anal. In line with ASA's new relaxed attitude toward their customers they've classified the incident as minor. The ground controller was heard to comment 'ASA's got my back, CASA don't give a **** & ATSB only investigate bus crashes, sweet. I had a few beers with the FO last night but he had to leave at 6pm as the security dood threaten to kick him out if he fell asleep on the table one more time'

Just as well the incident didn't involve phraseologies, that would be a different kettle of fish ;)

Buttscratcher
15th Oct 2013, 11:58
Maybe they typed in 'go to boss' office'
They found it!

There's no tea, and the bikkies taste like Vaseline (if you're lucky)

maggot
15th Oct 2013, 12:11
Its a tricky spot, a real sucker punch like the taxi to 24L in LAX. Maybe if you go through there all the time its no worry...
It warrants a mention for this (at night) in the qf rms.

Angle of Attack
15th Oct 2013, 12:15
Haha another one bit the dust! Its been a well known problem for years, although I never thought an A380 would fall for it....

Don_Apron
15th Oct 2013, 12:44
Cactusjack

You may enjoy this thread, post no 4. Imbecilic behavior is contagious.

http://www.pprune.org/biz-jets-ag-flying-ga-etc/525363-air-ambulance-goes-off-runway-aberdeen.html

fliion
15th Oct 2013, 16:59
On a related note...let's give credit where it's due.

The GIG pilot(s) were treated very professionally and the Safety Dept conducted itself as it should without Fleet being overly involved.

The end game was as good as it gets, considering the circumstances .

Wishing the same for our brothers in BNE.

f.

Akali Dal
15th Oct 2013, 19:23
Oh dear.

Another FD crew out of a job? Probably.

Incident on your record? Then you're unemployable these days.

I would prefer to have someone on my books that has had an incident or two. It's the people who have never made a mistake that worry me. First mistake can be their last?

Most of it is down to poor and penny pinching training.
Last edited by Don_Apron; 15th Oct 2013 at 15:02.

Commiserations to the crew! Can happen to anyone...fatigue " drunkenness "

Never mind, Skymark looking for dugong pilots. Korean Air gonna have a roadshow enticing EK pilots out of sandpit to kimchi pit. Plenty of jobs around.

clark y
15th Oct 2013, 20:48
I'd be interested to know how many other times pilots have missed this intersection. Bet it's not the first time. I've seen some interesting skid marks on taxiway B northbound in the past where someone has obviously realised very late that they were about to go into no-mans land.

BPA
15th Oct 2013, 21:28
They are not the first aircaft to do this. I've heard at least 3 others have done the same this year alone.

Going Nowhere
15th Oct 2013, 21:36
Maybe the installation of some sort of 'Hold Short' flashing lights to alert crews might be in order?

Knowing BAC though, it'll be 2020 before they install them and then every aircraft will have to pay in the meanwhile to fund them! :ugh:

air command
16th Oct 2013, 00:55
And its not the first time for an Emirates aircraft in Brisbane either. A couple of years back now, we were taxying out at night for a 19 departure to SYD, and ATC (unusually) flipped us out to taxiway A. Approaching the holding point, to our amazement, an Emirates 777 had cornered itself on taxiway D. Apparently it was there for some time before a tug could be organised. At night, wet, unfamiliar, and you let your guard down... you could imagine how this could happen.

Wally Mk2
16th Oct 2013, 02:24
Taking the wrong taxiway, lining up on rwy edge lighting, lining up on closed rwy's even ldg at the wrong drome, all part of aviation & risk management. The big ticket item here is the guy behind the steering wheel as you can have all the best training in the world, all the fancy gizmo's in the pit of cocks, all the CRM crap you can dream up as well as all the other feel good words TEM being one of them all means Bear Poo as we are humans not machines & fatigue & distraction will always win at times.
I hope the commander learns from it & not get whacked in irons!

Wmk2

BPA
16th Oct 2013, 02:37
Agree Wally,

Whilst we humans are still flying aircaft, the "Human Factor" will always be there, no matter how good the gear is on the aircaft.

crewmeal
16th Oct 2013, 06:30
A similar incident happened at BHX in DEC 2010. There are views on whose fault it was elsewhere on this forum.

BBC News - Emirates jet stuck in grass at Birmingham Airport (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-12051512)

Oktas8
16th Oct 2013, 07:14
Accident waiting to happen.

But, it's cheaper and easier to say "pilot error" than to actually fix the problem.

Well done CASA & ATSB.

Seabreeze
16th Oct 2013, 07:19
So you two who believe human pilots are a problem forget that the programmer who writes the software is also human, and has much less-self interest in getting it absolutely right than the pilot who will be first to the scene of the accident!.

I seen enough outcomes from programmers and IT experts that I never want to trust my life with them!

framer
16th Oct 2013, 08:16
I've neeeaarly done it.
I didn't have to brake hard but it was enough of a warning to me that I now mention it to my mate if our clearance is the same as what these guys got.
Is the reason we are tempted to sail right through because most runways there would be no option of going through?

waren9
16th Oct 2013, 08:51
i have done this. i mean as an f/o head down with my own pre t/o scans while the (check) captain taxiis past the last taxiway for the rwy. wasnt bne tho. or in aussie. not a big deal but both a bit red faced.

donpizmeov
16th Oct 2013, 09:03
22R at JFK Waren? I have been very close to missing that one.

The don.

Don_Apron
16th Oct 2013, 09:12
Wally

Well said.

Try telling that to the indigenous management of that outfit.

waren9
16th Oct 2013, 09:19
bkk, in the rain at night. my first time there. no excuses, but it happens.

1Charlie
16th Oct 2013, 09:27
Some have missed the turn going to A9 at the other end too having to do a loop around C10 back up the international apron.

Maisk Rotum
16th Oct 2013, 09:57
Korean Air did exactly the same thing in BNE not so long ago in a 'bus. After a spate of these (another one in BKK) occurring they have fixed the problem. No really, they have. Lots of extra talk talk in the cockpit so the likelyhood of missing a call goes up. No problem they will invent another procedure to fix that if it happens. Funny thing is they did it again at home base the other day in a triple!!!

Stalins ugly Brother
16th Oct 2013, 10:06
As said I think we have all missed a taxiway once or twice in our life time due to many reasons, usually no big deal. But unfortunately due to the poor design of this particular taxiway in Brisbane where an international width taxiway turns into a GA width taxiway it has caused more interest than it really should have.
If a Chief Pilot can do it what chance have us poor mortals got! :ok:

Townsville Refueller
17th Oct 2013, 06:25
Hmmm, Townsville refueller has a much better ring to it. Has ol mate transferred to Brissie? Hence the new identity?

NO, still in TSV. ;)

neville_nobody
17th Oct 2013, 07:24
How do you miss a taxiway with a moving map gps display and signposts? If you're paying attention to whats going on I have difficulty accepting that you can miss that taxiway when the map in front of you shows you where you are and shows the taxiways and they're all signposted. But if if you are in the dark with some dodgey half ripped jepp chart its a different story.

VH-ABC
17th Oct 2013, 07:50
Maybe el capitano got a bit over the top waving to the plane spotters that gather in that area. As for the other crew that were in the cockpit...? Happy to take the money for the work, just don't forget to do the work.

Don_Apron
17th Oct 2013, 08:58
Neville

You know why? They are fallible. You?

donpizmeov
17th Oct 2013, 11:13
Do you go spotting there of a night time often ABC?

The don

SOPS
17th Oct 2013, 11:19
I was thinking the same thing Don:E

VH-ABC
17th Oct 2013, 11:23
Ahhhhh, to have spare time enough to go spotting! Bring on RO-RO.

Cactusjack
17th Oct 2013, 11:28
Plane spotting? Where is Ken Borough then??

Samba Anaconda
17th Oct 2013, 21:02
framer

I've neeeaarly done it.
I didn't have to brake hard but it was enough of a warning to me that I now mention it to my mate if our clearance is the same as what these guys got.
Is the reason we are tempted to sail right through because most runways there would be no option of going through?

I " shudder " to think what if another aircraft taxiing behind EK435 had followed her into TWY D as well when they received taxi clearance from lazy controllers : " taxi to RWY 19 to follow EK A380 ahead of you "

By George
17th Oct 2013, 21:08
That taxiway has a long history of people missing B1. I can remember at least two Ansett incidents and I nearly did it myself once on a 727. I'm not sure why, but it is easy to do, it looks like the runway threshold is further down for some reason.
Recently, on a cargo run to a Pacific Island we had a load which included small-arms ammunition and marine flares. The safety security clowns confiscated a tube of toothpaste from one the crew. We were all X-rayed, bomb sniffed, covered in bright yellow vests, prodded and poked, cameras watching our every move, including on the tarmac. Shame the airport has a real safety issue and we can't even get a 10 dollar sign painted on a taxiway.

halas
17th Oct 2013, 21:28
Yeah, two years ago had a death on board 400nm south of Perth enroute to Brizzy.
Security would not let the ambo's in to collect the body on arrival, as they had no ASIC ID.
Over an hour later they arrived.

Just one little sign...

halas

Kalistan
17th Oct 2013, 23:04
Anal to the core!

neville_nobody
18th Oct 2013, 00:02
You know why? They are fallible.

Yes humans are fallible but if you are not distracted and paying attention how do you screw up with moving a map infront of you? Yes you are probably tired, yes its a tricky taxiway, but the moving map should prevent this.

Wally Mk2
18th Oct 2013, 00:18
'Nev' over reliance on technology can be an issue. Those fallible humans are wired in ways the so called CRM goons have no idea about & never will.

Why does a well trained pilot whom is rested, all up to date with his/her training has an excellent past re incidents/accidents simply fly into the side of a mountain accompanied with more technology than ever b4? '..............sometimes there's just not enuf rocks'.................Forrest Gump:-)

We know very little of our brains & yet we still kill ourselves in planes like it was for free !!!!
We all make mistakes & will continue to do so, that's what PPrune is all about in some ways:)

Wmk2

maggot
18th Oct 2013, 00:57
Yes humans are fallible but if you are not distracted and paying attention how do you screw up with moving a map infront of you? Yes you are probably tired, yes its a tricky taxiway, but the moving map should prevent this.

In a perfect world, maybe. The OANS is ok at best. Tbh, i rarely refer to it but always have it up. The old jepps chart has a lot of life yet, albeit in ipad format.

Traffic_Is_Er_Was
18th Oct 2013, 01:07
I hear she ended up taking out some taxiway edge lighting and tore up the pavement a bit. Took a bit of an effort to push it back onto B!

There is no TWY edge lighting at BNE, the pavement was not torn up (TWY closed for a while pending engineering assessment) and it took no effort to push it back using the appropriate tug (issue is finding said appropriate tug and then getting it from effectively one end of airport to the other). I suggest you check your sources.

EK was not the first to overshoot B1 and they won't be the last.

I'm not sure why, but it is easy to do, it looks like the runway threshold is further down for some reason.

Can't see how this is so, as by the time you get to B1 the RWY 19 Threshold is effectively behind you. More likely they look up and see the RWY 32 threshold more or less directly ahead and just keep going.

Worrals in the wilds
18th Oct 2013, 05:53
If the story hadn't grown in the telling it wouldn't be Brisbane Airport. ;):}

The signage was upgraded a year or so ago in an attempt to prevent over runs, but obviously it hasn't worked very well. :uhoh:
From the people who use it regularly, what would improve it?

Capn Bloggs
18th Oct 2013, 06:11
From the people who use it regularly, what would improve it?

Google voice-guided nav; NOT Job's Nav!!!

By George
18th Oct 2013, 06:15
A simple red sign saying "RW 19 threshold NEXT RIGHT". Our French Cousins write such signs on the taxiway itself, just like road markings. When I first saw these at CDG (Paris) I thought they were great. Not only that but fairly idiot proof and cheap. I'll even lend you a paint brush.

glofish
18th Oct 2013, 06:18
what would improve it?

If we want to be slightly sarcastic, we could state that obviously moving maps and all the modern gimmicks don't help. Statistically this overrun of a A380 shows (at this moment), that an aircraft with such a gimmick is more prone to mistakes than the ones without (A380 movements in BNE vs mistake compared to i.e. T7 or A330).

I know, I know, it's just statistics and the A380 is a young fleet, and blah, blah, blah. Simply wanted to make you whale-jockeys jump!

Hotspots exist at many airports. We might reconsider implementing all the electronic bs that exists, it could turn out to be counterproductive. We need the jockeys to look outside to keep the big picture, up to today it is still there where it happens, not on the fancy screens.

And being in the famous down under region, we might consider a little fewer and shorter briefings, as to keep the pilots capable to concentrate to what happens in the real world, right now and outside.

Leave the superfluous talking to Ted Cruze .....

Worrals in the wilds
18th Oct 2013, 06:21
A simple red sign saying "RW 19 threshold NEXT RIGHT". Our French Cousins write such signs on the taxiway itself, just like road markings. When I first saw these at CDG (Paris) I thought they were great. Not only that but fairly idiot proof and cheap. I'll even lend you a paint brush.
Thanks.

The pavement at the entrance of D is painted with the sign MAX TOW 56 000KG (or something fairly similar) but that hasn't worked either, and nor is it visible at night. The red sign sounds good.

Capn Bloggs
18th Oct 2013, 06:22
And being in the famous down under region, we might consider a little fewer and shorter briefings, as to keep the pilots capable to concentrate to what happens in the real world, right now and outside.

Leave the superfluous talking to Ted Cruze .....
What are you doing briefings on taxi for?

doubleu-anker
18th Oct 2013, 08:49
Long, complicated, boring briefings.

In spite of all the gear and technology available to the crews these days, there is a tendency to loose sight of the basics. It's getting overly complicated and the move away from the basics, is becoming more apparent.. We as humans can only take so much in for recall, at a given time. As queried T/o and Dep briefings shouldn't be done when the aircraft is taxing. Amendments/changes, maybe with caution. Should be a 2/3 crew full time job with as many "eyes out the window2 as possible. This of course is stating the obvious.

The is a European aircraft manufacture, who have such an avionics fit for to their aircraft, it requires a whole new type rating to operate it. Where is the simplicity in that? EASY I think they call it.

When I started on heavies, I sometimes flew with an ex WW2 pathfinder. The t/o brief, when he responded was to point his finger up, accompanied by the confirmation of the MSA. Landing brief was finger pointed down, with the confirmation of the MSA. Worked for us.

Gimme a big K.I.S. :)

StallBoy
18th Oct 2013, 09:21
Wondered why it sat there for over one hour on the flight radar!!!!!

Capt Claret
18th Oct 2013, 12:14
Wondered why it sat there for over one hour on the flight radar!!!!!

According to a mate, who also knows the Brisbane & Townsville refuellers, and just happened to hear much of the R/T exchange, much of the delay was getting agreement from the tech crew to shutdown some of the engines so that safety personnel could walk around under & behind the aircraft to check for pavement damage before it was towed out.

His recounting of the story was so amusing its sad that he's not contributed to this thread. :\

glofish
18th Oct 2013, 13:40
What are you doing briefings on taxi for?

You might read the OMA and FCOM of a lot of mentioned operators in reference of

- runway change
- T/O clearance change / initial issue or reissue
- change of weather conditions
- take-off reviews and similar re-re-re-re-doing of already done

to understand the overkill of babbling, finger exercises during taxi

Hence this hint of how such incidents can be reduced ...

Stalins ugly Brother
18th Oct 2013, 18:14
You might read the OMA and FCOM of a lot of mentioned operators in reference of

- runway change
- T/O clearance change / initial issue or reissue
- change of weather conditions
- take-off reviews and similar re-re-re-re-doing of already done

What is an OMA?????? Sounds like something you get for bravery or good service? :eek:

neville_nobody
18th Oct 2013, 19:54
In spite of all the gear and technology available to the crews these days, there is a tendency to loose sight of the basics. It's getting overly complicated and the move away from the basics, is becoming more apparent..

Problem these days is that we have so many desk jockeys trying to justify their position with manual amendments and procedure changes they are getting in the way of actually flying the aircraft.

Traffic_Is_Er_Was
19th Oct 2013, 00:00
painted with the sign MAX TOW 56KG (or something fairly similar)
From memory, doesn't the MAG sign at the entrance to Delta say "MAX A320"?

Maybe they misread it?:=

Worrals in the wilds
19th Oct 2013, 00:33
True. However, there's been a few of these incidents so maybe something could be improved.

There's a whole winter wonderland of yellow mag signs at that intersection and when someone's unfamiliar with the intersection and/or distracted, maybe they all just turn into a blur.

Wally Mk2
19th Oct 2013, 03:02
'Nev' couldn't have said that better myself! Companies don't want pilots they want puppets whom jump when told to, having a pilot 'think' outside the square in other words being an actual pilot is something that has no place in modern day company Ops!
Having a think about the taxi instructions to said Rwy 19 at Brissy if I recall such instructions are for Eg clear to taxi via C4, B & A1 holding point (or words to that effect) for Rwy 19, trouble is there's a B1 to be negotiated on that route before arriving at the Hld point, perhaps that's a missing trigger for some whom might be distracted & it's easy enuf to do that seeing most of us here are human!

BTW OMA might be a typo, AOM (Aircraft Operating Manual for Boeing) might be more the case here.

Wmk2

glofish
19th Oct 2013, 03:13
Sorry for the confusion, I forgot a "-" ........

EK should not be the only airline that operates with OM-A, OM-C, OM-D and newly with OM-E.

I know it's not the sacrosanct Aussie way or designation, but the aircraft in question definitely operated with these publications.

haughtney1
19th Oct 2013, 03:26
OM-A is EASA (JAA) compliant terminology used by EK to describe on of their particular manuals.
OM-A = Company operational info, i.e. FTL's, policy's relating to flight etc etc etc etc.

Visual Procedures
19th Oct 2013, 03:30
Translation.. OM-A = FAM

Stalins ugly Brother
19th Oct 2013, 03:51
Translation.. OM-A = FAM

Thanks............ :ok:

Afterburner1
20th Oct 2013, 22:11
There's already a sign saying "RWY 19" or something to that affect with an arrow pointing down B1 to the the A1 hold point. How many more signs do you want? Just look out the window!

maggot
20th Oct 2013, 22:13
Yet it keeps happening...

billabongbill
21st Oct 2013, 02:27
Afterburner1

There's already a sign saying "RWY 19" or something to that affect with an arrow pointing down B1 to the the A1 hold point. How many more signs do you want? Just look out the window!

True, we don't need any more clutter. The present set up is fine. This incident is testament to the need to separate the chaff from the wheat.:ugh: Had flown with a few ex-EK blokes , hmmmmmm...........

maggot
21st Oct 2013, 03:15
:rolleyes: :hmm:

Paragraph377
21st Oct 2013, 03:19
So are the MAGS a contributing factor in this event?? Would be interesting to know, considering MAGS are not a necessary requirement under Part 139 MOS.

point76
21st Oct 2013, 07:33
Certainly nothing new there.Seem to remember a fully loaded 727 ( not quite as dramatic as an A380 admittantly ) doing the same thing not long after the present BNE airport opened way back when.Crew and ATC realised at about the same time I think.Same result. Shutdown on the taxyway and a tug pushback onto the correct one. Very easy to do in BNE even today especially for a crew unfamiliar with the setup and more so at night.Maybe they need a really big signpost !

LookingForAJob
21st Oct 2013, 07:58
I thought airport charts were now supposed to have hotspots on them to give warning of just this sort of pitfall.

framer
21st Oct 2013, 08:06
When I nearly did it I think my mental model was that I would reach the end of the taxi-way when it was time to turn. I guess this was due to being too relaxed and not diligent enough.
I'm obviously not the only one to make that mistake. I'm not certain that was the reason, just a best guess at how I made the mistake.

ramble on
23rd Oct 2013, 05:34
For those of you who have some influence here is how to make it better in Perth Brisbane and Sydney:

Put large painted taxiway designators on the centrelines at taxiway turns and intersections (in addition to the side markings).

For me, Auckland is a great example of how to do it properly.....google map it and have a look at the designators on the taxiways.

Traffic_Is_Er_Was
24th Oct 2013, 15:17
Unfortunately most of the over runs seem to happen at night, so painted markings are not really of much use. The only real way would be to extinguish the TWY lights leading onto to Delta past the B1 turn, but that would mean either turning the lights back on when they are required, or forbidding movement in (only) that direction at night on that section of TWY D.
Funny thing is is that no one has yet overshot the B into B9 turn at the other end (admittedly not used very much).

SOPS
24th Oct 2013, 15:49
What about 'follow the greens' like they have in SIN and LHR amongst other places?

D.Lamination
24th Oct 2013, 16:49
Ahhh - Brisbane Airport

Where it takes longer to build a new RWY than the entire duration of WWII.:ugh:

Taxiway signage may take even longer.

New multi-storey car parks we can throw up in no time however.

Maybe the new Govt's "Direct Action" climate plan could force them to build the new RWY at "china speed" - that would save X,000,000 tonnes of CO2 emissions.

Worrals in the wilds
24th Oct 2013, 22:47
Funny thing is is that no one has yet overshot the B into B9 turn at the other end (admittedly not used very much). Actually I think there have been a couple, but they just taxied into C10 and back via the international apron so there wasn't any hoo-ha with tugs and pavement issues :suspect:. The worst thing they copped was a ribbing from the tower.

If an A380 did it it could get a bit untidy, but IIRC they can now use the L/P turning loop. If I've got that wrong they'd possibly need to get towed back, but unlike TWY Delta the pavement is still rated for their weight so it would just be an inconvenience.
What about 'follow the greens' like they have in SIN and LHR amongst other places? How does that work?

By George
24th Oct 2013, 23:49
In SIN and LHR the Controller can light up the dedicated taxi route, tailored to the clearance. All the troops then have to do, is ''follow the greens". I often wondered how much traffic it could take without conflict, but it always seemed to work ok. I hate to say it, but a few pilots still got it wrong. The trouble with large Long Haul Operators, is their networks are so big, it's not uncommon to go to a place only once a year. You never gain 'local knowledge'.
These experts that say, "just look out the window'' wouldn't last five minutes in somewhere like Chicago, especially at night in the rain with ''Yank Speak'' at five hundred miles an hour. Taxing around is where most mistakes are made.

Worrals in the wilds
24th Oct 2013, 23:55
Thanks for that. :8
As Traffic said it would probably work most of the time, but not when RWY 32 is also in use with GA and domestic turboprop traffic simultaniously taxiing for Delta.

C441
25th Oct 2013, 03:25
.......but not when RWY 32 is also in use with GA and domestic turboprop traffic simultaniously taxiing for Delta.

The 'follow the greens' system is tailored to each taxiing aircraft so as one flight deviated from the common path the greens illuminate correctly for the next aircraft. So as the domestic turbo-prop continued straight ahead at 'D' the lights would switch indicating a turn onto 'B1" for the following traffic.

Given most airline operators taxi a reasonable distance behind the preceding traffic, they should have more than adequate time to recognise that the greens go 'round the corner.

I'm not exactly sure how it works (i.e.: does it use transponder or other wizardry.....) but the system in Singapore is virtually fully automated or that's what I was told when I visited the tower some years ago.

Worrals in the wilds
25th Oct 2013, 05:01
Wow, that sounds amazing. :8
Thanks for clarifying the term.

Mud Skipper
26th Oct 2013, 19:24
Eclan,

If he's paying attention to driving then he shouldn't really be head-down

I agree with you sentiment but taxiing the dugong does require quite a bit of head-down using the camera display on the PFD to confirm correct over-steer and the moving map is definitely part of the scan though was perhaps deselected approaching the holding point.

framer
26th Oct 2013, 21:49
Eclan's ethos is at one end of the scale, it relies on crews not making mistakes. At the other end of the scale is designing a system where mistakes cannot be made. Each is as unachievable as the other. Somewhere in the middle lies the most effective solution.
Solid training with regard to discipline and communication, briefing etc ( airmanship as Eclan called it), combined with identifying weak points in the system ( the taxiway being discussed) and altering the system where it is not working so well. This also applies to the YMML 34 Sheed arrival being discussed on another thread.
Upshot? We need to invest in training while continuously assessing the systems for weak points and then addressing them. Pretty much common sense really. So why don't we do it as well as we could? One word. Motivation.
What motivates our industry leaders? They are the people who can easily assign the money to both training and system changes. Our CEOs are motivated by money, remaining competitive, shareholder returns etc. I'm not saying this is wrong, it just is. They will only part with the minimum amount of money that they think they can get away with for training and infrastructure updates etc. At the moment in countries like Australia the only reason we have the level of training expenditure we have is because it is legislated. That is the only means of providing motivation as these folk have legal responsibilities and personal drive to make the money.
So unless it is legally required it won't happen because it would put the company at a disadvantage against it's competitors.
Motivation for improvement is the answer, the motivation that works is legislation. Eg we all pretty much agree that airline pilots need to spend some time hand flying simulators to become comfortable with this skill that is being lost, no airline that I know of would allocate two hours of sim time every six months to hand flying unless it was law. In my mind it is as simple as that. If you want it, require it, otherwise it won't happen.
Bit off topic I know but I felt like a rant :)
Framer

Counter-rotation
4th Nov 2013, 09:04
Framer:
Bit off topic I know but I felt like a rant :)

Bit off topic, but right on the money!!