PDA

View Full Version : NEW YAHOO

ONE GREEN AND HOPING
14th Oct 2013, 14:37
........The second recent Yahoo mail format change has irritated many. It is alleged that this latest change has something to do with making it closer to Google's Gmail format which seems to be popular. I have read comments by others, but several people I read have been upset by the difficulty in directing unfinished text to DRAFT. I was as well, because I do that on a daily basis.

Unless someone on here knows differently, it seems that a manual selection to draft is no more. However at time intervals, it will auto-upload to draft. This is not helpful if you are in a hurry....otherwise it's now a two stage selection. First click menu 'draft' option, which then in turn triggers a menu box......one option being 'save to draft'. It just means an extra micro-pause for safety. The new risk being accidental evaporation or sending an unfinished or unedited mail to addressee/s. I don't know about you, but with important stuff I insert only my own address when creating text over several sessions, until my copy is totally checked and edited.

I have limited patience with having to learn new tricks, so I mention this in case anybody has found a better way........it's still free, so I suppose one shouldn't grumble....:sad:

Bern Oulli
15th Oct 2013, 12:50
Another extremely irritating "feature" is that I can no longer sort my inbox by sender. Useful if looking for an email from a particular person but can't remember when it was received.

vulcanised
15th Oct 2013, 14:14
Also irritated by Yahoo.

It's constantly nagging me to upgrade my browser, and when it's finished annoying me there it's asking me to choose a theme.

All I want to do is read my mail. Too much to ask for now!

FullOppositeRudder
15th Oct 2013, 23:11
Give thanks that you are not a moderator of a Yahoo! group. :{

I have two - both of them are now virtually unmanagible since the imposition of the "Neo" format. It's become very difficult for new members to join the group, and totally impossible for moderators to manage the system in the way my members have come to expect.

I could go on at length about the dissatisfaction this policy has caused; moderators everywhere are crying out for a return to the previous system, but it appears that they (Yahoo) will not be moved. Here (http://yahoo.uservoice.com/forums/209451-us-groups/suggestions/4336587-neo-format-is-a-failure-especially-for-a-moderato) is one of many reactions to the change. It's even making it to the print media (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/09/03/yahoo_groups_neo_design_upsets_users/).

What is really infuriating is that Yahoo refuse to acknowledge that a mistake has been made, but continue to issue patronising statements about how they are "listening to user's reactions ....." Balderdash!:yuk:

I've now migrated one of my groups to a hosted Mailman system. It's working well, and I will probably ferry the other one over in the next weeks.

cattletruck
16th Oct 2013, 07:09
I'm led to believe that Yahoo used an old archaic e-mail system behind the scenes known as qmail - developed by a nutter. The same source tells me that Yahoo have invested heavily in writing their own qmail plugins/enhancements as the original nutter who wrote it couldn't care one iota for improving his own product as he thinks it's perfect the way it is.

I would imagine if Yahoo are migrating away from qmail then there would be a lot of pain in store for everyone.

ExSp33db1rd
16th Oct 2013, 07:57
It's the old story - If It Ain't Broke Don't Fix It.

My New Zealand ISP had a perfectly useable e-mail system that worked, and I could download from their Server to Outlook Express easily, then they got mixed up with something called Yahoo ! Bubble - whatever that meant - and the whole thing went to Hell in a Handcart. Subsequently Outlook Express morphed into what is now Windows Live Mail.

Live ? more like deceased, there was nothing wrong with O.E.

I've just had to buy a new Laptop, fitted with Windows 8 !! Fortunately I was also given a list of Hotkeys, use Windows 'Flag' button plus the D button to get immediately back to the desktop and forget all those fancy Metro Tiles Grrrr !! Bit like going back to the original MsDos of yesteryear, and fortunately I still had an old Word '97 disc, so installed Word, Excel and Powerpoint programmes that I love and understand.

Happiness is not having to learn new tricks every day.

vulcanised
16th Oct 2013, 11:34
It's not just Yahoo either.

I discovered a few days ago that my gmail had been altered without my noticing. Instead of the normal Inbox, I found I had three sections and a lot of unread mail had piled up in one which I hadn't spotted.

What really gets me wound up is that they didn't offer the new format - just imposed it and left it to me to (a) discover the change and, (b) change it back.

LookingForAJob
16th Oct 2013, 12:43
Been using Yahoo mail for years - accessing it with MS Outlook. A few weeks ago for no reason that I could fathom, I stopped being able to send messages with the account using Outlook. No real problem, I've got other accounts that send OK and if I really wanted to use the Yahoo account I could send through the web interface.

A week or so ago I stopped receiving mails from the account with Outlook. I haven't changed anything. I check the server settings etc. - all seems in accord with the Yahoo help pages but it still doesn't work.

I'm just trying to work out whether I use the account for anything important - but it's hard to remember whether I gave the account details to an important company or something similar ten years ago - and will dump the account.

Can't imagine that it will bother the powers that be at Yahoo but it will stop me wasting my time trying to fix something that I didn't break. On the other hand, if lots of people do the same maybe it will speed up the demise of the company that seems destined (and determined) to become one of the pioneers of the internet age that exist only in memories. I had a Compuserve account once.....

Heathrow Harry
16th Oct 2013, 13:57
thank God BT have started to migrate their web email away from Yahoo - nothing but grief

LookingForAJob
16th Oct 2013, 16:24
And another thing.........where have all the forwarding settings gone?

ONE GREEN AND HOPING
2nd Nov 2013, 09:18
The forwarding setting is the right hand arrow top left.

Why it is now assumed by the Yahoo server that every Email is a 'conversation'? Your own address is now reduced to a 'cutsie' 'Me', so might be part of the trend towards increasing predictive thought injection that continuously drifts in from the cousins across the pond. Although being a Brit, I regularly spend time in NYC as well, so I know the 'one-thought-fits-all' is not a deliberate global brain-washing exercise by some World Cyber Control HQ in Virginia, but more to embrace lower denominators, perhaps rated by age as well spoken English variations. I'm guessing that the option 'Like' on Facebook has to embrace, 'Briefly checked out of curiosity', 'Didn't like', and 'That's two minutes out of my life I won't get back', as well as for stats research. We are all now familiar with the blunt mandate to 'Enjoy', that has been upgraded from the original 'Have-a-nice', that every call centre's script menu now has in India and the Philippines. I have somewhere, a lapel badge from 1969ish that states ( Vietnam ) "POWs never have a nice day", and I remember that being quite an original epithet that hadn't really caught on in Europe. ( not heard it in France yet )

Just in case anyone else had difficulty working out the changed Yahoo mail format that altered the 'Draft' management......
Having fiddled about for a day or two, I discovered that it's the two symbols on the upper right hand side. Clicking on 'CC' enables also the 'BCC' option. Clicking on the 'X' is in fact the manual option to move to 'Draft'. Sometimes it merely disappears immediately to 'Draft', and sometimes ( depending on some protocol I haven't nailed because it doesn't seem to matter ) it triggers a menu bar. " Save draft" in colour; "Don't save draft", or " Keep working". The first time when the text merely vanished, it was initially a bit alarming, but was only a test text. ( I've not lost anything yet.) When Googling this important 'Draft' tool problem, I saw that I was not the only slow-to-grasp-stuff person by a long way. Another thing that I didn't immediately spot was when 'Composing', merely clicking on 'To' enables browsing the address book within the page. At my level of everyday use, the predictive initial letters of an address usually suffice, but this came in handy only when I needed ensure that all members of a certain group were included. Still.... all this stuff is free, so w.t.f.....

vulcanised
2nd Nov 2013, 12:31
I've given up on my Yahoo mail.

For some time, every time I go to log in I have been urged to choose a theme (why?). I discovered that clicking on 'Not now' meant until next time I tried to log in, and even choosing one of their bloody themes and saving it didn't work since I was greeted by the same popup asking me to choose a theme next time :ugh:

Even if I am really quick in clicking on a new mail, that popup appears and gives itself priority over my opening the mail.

Waste of time now.

FullOppositeRudder
3rd Nov 2013, 05:59
It's broken. It wasn't - but they just had to fix it anyway.

Result - chaos! :mad:

Loose rivets
3rd Nov 2013, 10:32
Yep, just have a site for old blokes where nothing ever changes. I spend long enough looking for the right specs, I don't need to look to see what :mad:ing arrows do this week.

G-Mail caught me. 'I know your e is here somewhere.' says I to the wife. Bloody thing was a page down in the read department. Okay when you know, but as said above, no one told me.