PDA

View Full Version : Florida Based Tours to South America

Ancient Observer
14th Oct 2013, 11:38
Florida Based Tours to South America

Anyone had any experience with Florida-based tours to South America?

I want to do a guided tour of South America, but would like to start it from Florida, rather than UK.
Any ideas?

Google has gazillions of offers, but being a Brit, I don't understand most of them.

Hartington
14th Oct 2013, 15:32
You don't have to use a Florida based tour operator. Many UK based agents will sell you the ground arrangements and leave you to book the flights separately.

I've been to South America three times. Back in 1979 my wife and I rather busked it. That ended with us walking into a shooting revolution in Bolivia; tanks in the streets etc.

I've been back in 2001 and most recently this year (February 2013). On both those occasions I used Tailor-made holidays in Latin America - Last Frontiers (http://www.lastfrontiers.com/). They are more inclined towards Individual Tours tailored to your preferences. They are very flexible and can offer advice in all sorts of ways. They can also offer tours in places that you visit.

In 2001 I had some free tickets to use which got me to and from South America. Our "target" was Argentina, I didn't have much time to organise and I just assumed that we would be going to and from Buenos Aires. However, because we wanted to go to Iguassu Falls they suggested we go via Sao Paulo and come back from BA. It was their suggestion that we visited The Peninsula Valdes by hiring a car

This year we managed to organise ourselves to Easter Island and they were able to arrange 3 days (1 full day and 2 halves) of private tours which were well worth while.

The point I'm trying to make is that going as part of a group isn't necessary. You can organise your own itinerary. But if you do want to travel as a group then phone some of the UK operators and ask if they'll sell you the ground arrangements only.

TFlyguy
14th Oct 2013, 17:30
Try tcsandstarquestexpeditions.com

Ancient Observer
16th Oct 2013, 16:52
Tfly
I'm not that rich. Private 757. I wish.

Hartington
17th Oct 2013, 13:00
I had a thought(!). The US market is not the same as the UK. Here you would expect a tour to all gather in London, or maybe a hub like Amsterdam in Europe and then travel together. From the USA they seem to sell the ground arrangements and then sell you a flight to the destination which is where you meet your fellow particpants.

Ancient Observer
18th Oct 2013, 16:42
Hartington,
ah, right. That's why I didn't understand a bunch of what was on google.
I must get my all-American Tx nieces on to the job. They speak American.
Ta
AO