PDA

View Full Version : FWD: "The Great Airline Pilot Shortage Myth"

URCleared
14th Oct 2013, 08:08
A awesome post has been made in the Terms and Endearment forum of Pprune, discovered from Youtube. Link. (http://www.pprune.org/terms-endearment/525533-great-airline-pilot-shortage-myth.html)

While very American centric, it is still worth the watch and education for especially Kiwis at the moment given what has happened recently, and for those pilot newbies and wannabes.
17mins of your time.

A point to be made from this, does this mean Air NZ wages are set to rise?! :oh:

deadcut
14th Oct 2013, 08:16
What happened recently with kiwis?

URCleared
14th Oct 2013, 08:51
Read this thread (http://www.pprune.org/australia-new-zealand-pacific/519204-stop-pilot-skills-going-shortage-list-your-help-required.html)
Air NZ wanted pilot skills on the shortage list.

Berealgetreal
14th Oct 2013, 09:51
Absolutely, it's the biggest crock of **** I've ever heard in my entire life.

Been in the industry over 20 years and have heard it countless times. Its utter rubbish.

ReadMyACARS
15th Oct 2013, 08:03
Yep, been hearing this I did my commercial in 1984. That's why I work in a mine now.

.....and probably earn more for it too.

Angle of Attack
15th Oct 2013, 12:42
What? There is definitely a shortage! No one will surely pay their endorsements? Haha Mugs...

Vorsicht
15th Oct 2013, 22:00
I think the point of the video is not that there isn't a pilot shortage (on a global scale there unquestionably is), it is that normal market forces do no apply when it comes to pilot labour markets because large airlines are being allowed to continually lower the bar to ensure a continuing supply of pilots.

A lot of what is mentioned is not relevant in Australia because Chapter 11 provisions are not available to Australian businesses, but it is entirely accurate when it makes the claim that Companies are not going to pay more just because employees ask for it, better conditions only come through good negotiation. In Australia there is unlikely to ever be a genuine pilot shortage, but there is no question airline recruiting standards have been lowered over the last 25 years to ensure constant supply and downward pressure on conditions. Pilots being on the 457 visa list from time to time is clear evidence of the power of the airlines to manipulate market forces.

The article is saying that the only counter to this is strong union representation. Strong union representation can only come from a strong membership base that has the industrial muscle to influence the situation, but also needs a sympathetic government who sets the legislative framework to make this possible.

At present Australia has relatively favourable labour laws. If pilots in this country want to protect their terms and conditions they need to ensure they support their unions and are prepared to stand behind them when things get difficult.

The recent NZ example is demonstrative of what a unified workforce can achieve.

In Australia we have a general anti union sentiment amongst the wider community which is based on the perception that Unions are an impediment to economic growth. This is probably a result of the actions of a minority of unions and union officials that have abused their power. To the contrary, most unions go about their business quietly supporting their members interests and achieving good outcomes.

Further to the above is the changing attitudes of the workforce where many pilots view union fees as a cost they are not prepared to bear. If our colleagues are willing to believe that unions are not important to their conditions then as a group we will all suffer in the long term.

If the perception is that the current union representation in this country is not adequate, then the answer is to get involved and improve it and help build a better union.

As the video states clearly, strong union representation is the only defence against the race to the bottom. We should be thankful we live in a country that allows it and make good use of that privilege.

Metro man
16th Oct 2013, 00:48
Pilot shortage is of type endorsement and experience levels in certain parts of the world. An experienced A320 Captain willing to work in China or SE Asia can pick and choose from some very well paid contracts. A320/B737s have pilots with 200hrs total in the right seat and 3500hrs total in the left seat, in the air all the time over here.

Unfortunately the 1500 hr Baron driver in Sydney who can't get an interview with QF or Virgin isn't noticing any pilot shortage.

Berealgetreal
16th Oct 2013, 16:29
An experienced A320 Captain willing to work in China or SE Asia can pick and choose from some very well paid contracts
Yes but in a REAL shortage, the conditions would be such that experienced VB/QF/JQ drivers would feel compelled to take up the contracts. I don't know a single person where I work that is even considering doing this. Not one (zero).

No shortage if anything a gross oversupply.

As for FOs, Jetstar has proven there isn't an iota of value in experience. My mates there (skippers) do four sectors a day as PF as their 18 year old part time FO's operate the radio and get zero exposure to anything remotely challenging. Might as well train up the FA's to run the checklist and be done with it.

Capt. On Heat
16th Oct 2013, 22:30
Like your post Vors, but

At present Australia has relatively favourable labour laws

You can't be serious?! Even after nearly a a decade of Labor, the laws and FWA still heavily favour employers and hamstring employees trying to not get humped at the whim of unscrupulous companies with no regard for their 'most important asset'. And no, I'm not comparing Oz to third world dictatorships

In terms of how to deal with it, I agree unity is the main way to safeguard some sort of life in this industry. The problem as always lies in some of our colleagues thinking they know better/put their own and immediate interests before the good of all (and eventually themselves!)

Vorsicht
17th Oct 2013, 03:02
Hence the use of the term "relative"

Relative to WorkChoices we are in a better position.
Relative to the Middle East and Asia, we are well ahead,
Relative to the US where they can use Chap 11 to attack conditions we are better off, and
Relative to what we will probably have if the Coalition wins a second term we are probably in the most favorable environment we are likely to see for some time.

We can only play with the cards we are dealt, and the only way we can influence it is through being organised.

Fonz121
17th Oct 2013, 03:56
At present Australia has relatively favourable labour laws

Pilot's love favorable labour laws. Hate voting for the Labor party. Funny stuff.

http://www.lolwtfcomics.com/upload/uploads/1349960061.jpg

mikedreamer787
19th Oct 2013, 10:37
"The Great Airline Pilot Shortage Myth"

Its no myth - there IS a shortage of great airline pilots.

For example can anyone name anybody else apart from Sully...and me? ;)

Berealgetreal
19th Oct 2013, 17:24
Tell you what there IS a shortage of:

Great Airlines.

BlackPrince77
23rd Oct 2013, 06:21
As for FOs, Jetstar has proven there isn't an iota of value in experience. My mates there (skippers) do four sectors a day as PF as their 18 year old part time FO's operate the radio and get zero exposure to anything remotely challenging. Might as well train up the FA's to run the checklist and be done with it. I don't know where you get your info from, but i can tell you for a fact, Jetstar FO Cadets indeed do the PF roles right from the beginning of their training and actually tend to do PF the majority of the time until after the first 50 hours where is tends to alternate with the Captain every sector (like it does on a normal line day). Never would one pilot, yes even the Captain, be PF every sector that day...

Maybe you're getting Jetstar and Cathay Pacific mixed up, and FO with SO...:p

Berealgetreal
23rd Oct 2013, 17:31
Can't see why my friends of 20 odd years would be telling lies.

They say no take off or landing on 30m strips and
No take off or landing with more than 10 kts of crosswind (everywhere in oz).

They had some other pearl stories but this isn't a cadet thread and no one gives a **** anyway.

Metro man
23rd Oct 2013, 22:57
It's quite normal for F/O minimums to be higher than Captains, particularly new F/Os. Where I fly some approaches are Captain only, at some airports only the Captain taxis. One airport is Captains with 1000hrs P1 on type only.

As experience is gained, restrictions lessen. Bit like getting off your "P"plates.

Berealgetreal
24th Oct 2013, 07:37
Which brings us to the fabricated shortage myth.

Most DE FOs in my company join with several thousand hours and years of experience subject to only one very short lived restriction.

Wally Mk2
24th Oct 2013, 08:09
It's the commanders prerogative or right to allow or not to allow an F/O to fly the machine but it's generally accepted sector 4 sector unless as has been mentioned here Capt only at certain dromes & or during certain WX conditions.

The so called 'shortage' is for 'suitable' pilots, any monkey can fly a plane pretty much but Airlines these days want the 'right' person for the job not necessarily the best pilot for the job, hence a 'shortage' in some eyes.

Wmk2